Americare Hiring Process for Medics

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmeriCare Supervisor

Forum Ride Along
Please feel free to call the number that I listed on the AmeriCare is hiring thread. I'll be more than happy to walk you through the hiring process and give you tips on what to study to better prepare you for your skills/written exam.

I look forward to meeting you next week!

AmeriCare Supervisor

Forum Ride Along
I'm sorry that you had such a negative experience. The back/fit-for-duty test can be pretty rigorous; however, it is a requirement for EMT's/PM's to ensure that the new-hire is physically prepared to tolerate the constant, heavy lifting without causing injury to themselves or their co-workers.

The normal course of action is a letter is to be sent out to your address that you listed on your application explaining that you did not meet certain criteria and explains how to go about preparing yourself to re-test, if you should choose to do so.

Once again, I sincerely apologize about this issue and I have recently been put in a position to oversee much of the recruitment and hiring at AmeriCare, so I am working hard to make some improvements with the communication and other aspects during the hiring phase.

Feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Medic496

Show strength when weak, and humility when strong
I like AmeriCare

I like AmeriCare, they have a softball team. Any place that makes an attempt to create a positive work environment and a place for advancement is a good place. EMS needs quality employers that provide career opportunity. I think AmeriCare has what it takes.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
**Quoted post removed.**

My. That's certainly aggressive. What, pray tell, is wrong with paramedics providing much needed IFT service?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike S

Forum Probie
Our Medics that fit the prequalification's make about $350 per 24 hour shift (paid hourly). Some prefer IFTs. There are time we receive ALS 911 responses from various departments. We are the only company that I know of (and the FDs I deal with) that have both 911 contracts and that run dual medics often (required for 911 ALS response for privates). We do run 1 on 1s as well.

Softball: Apparently many uniforms is called that because he has had so many uniforms taken away through termination. S/he seems a bit bitter. I am not sure what we did to them or what the world has but I hesitate to listen or answer to only negativity. We do have a softball team however the guns and hoses (cops/fireman) tournaments we were playing in were pretty rough. We had some female employees that were there to have fun almost get killed by some LASO human tanks . . . we have not played since. We will play if we have 10 to 12 people that have tournament experience that can handle that. In the Fire Tournaments even some fire departments are not big enough to put together a competitive team that can hand with some of the big ones (LAPD Blue, LA Fire, elite military, etc.) but we are always open to it as long as players are prepared for that caliber of challenge. Normally the Cinco De Mayo tournament has some more fun and that is a better one to shoot for as we build a team. I play softball 3 nights a week and baseball on Sundays along with coaching my 3 boys so I am always up for them. They are fun tournaments.

We do have a bunch of old EMTs as we all grew up in the industry. Most of us did some other things and explored other avenues but yes with age becomes "old" sorry "too" many you will be old someday too.

The lift test was designed to make sure your back is prepared for the rigors of an AmeriCare EMT. I will never say being an EMT is an easy job because it isn't. It is what you make of it and can be fun, exciting, and rewarding . . . but it is up to you. Someone like Many that is bitter will not enjoy the job and find all the things wrong with it. I remember at Seals ambulance we were paid 3.75 an hour 13 hours on the 24 (no matter what no more) and worked 5 to 7 days a week . . . yet we made the best of it. Life and your job is what you make of it. I am sorry HR didn't get back to you. We did have a couple HR people leave almost at once and nobody realized where who was at in the hiring process. Medical issues at times come up without notice or very little notice. I apologize if you were not timely informed and I truly hope that is not an "MO" for the department. We have a great staff in there and I know they mean the very best for each applicant as each applicant is important to us. We have had many EMTs fail the test and do the back exercises and stretching and pass with flying colors the next time. Its up to you but obviously we do allow it within our policy to retest over time.

I am not sure who the AmeriCare Supervisor is but yes they may have gone to bed as apparently we are all old and need our sleep . . . they also have a job to do . . . their main job is to serve our field staff and it does take a lot of effort to ensure the operation flows. I am not sure how age and the need for sleep is means for a derogatory remark as we all need sleep and we all age . . . unless you know a secret to ceasing the aging process combined with the ability skip sleep that I don't know of.

I know I do my very best to try to make EMTs jobs fun (again with the thought it is what YOU make of it) and we do have rules that you must live by. We have the best stations in the industry (and the most) . . . we have them because I worked as an EMT for many years and I know what it is like. I do ask that our staff care for them as they cost us a lot to have stations and not to post all day from one main station. We do ask that you care for your equipment and yes people like "many" have caused us to go to drive cams. However the main purpose was for accidents and many accidents are plain NOT OUR FAULT and our insurance carrier gave us the camereas and required us to put them in for a better premium as they have helped us out far more than hindered us. EMTs sure love those cameras when someone says "you ran the red light", "you didn't stop", or "you were speeding" etc. and the camera proves that they weren't and better proves they were not at fault. They have really aided in clearing our drivers so many times I can not count in a fairly short time. They have also caused many terminations from reviews showing egregious policy violations or driving issues.

Every now and then I pop into EMTLIFE to see what things are popping around and I am willing to clarify when I can. I generally don't respond to negative stuff but today I felt I should as it was so far fetched after our recent meetings I found it ironic.

Yeah I am old . . . but lack experience I don't think so. I see the "EMTLIFE" for what it is and it can be fun and exciting and can really be rewarding; it wont be if you don't let it be. If you look for negative you will find negative. If you see the positive and are thankful for it you day, life, and career will all be much more rewarding.

Many Uniforms I truly hope you don't wear our uniform now or anytime in the future. As I said your job is what you make of it. I bet someday you will look back at AmeriCare and say WOW that is a cool place. They really did give me the tools to do my job and have fun doing it . . . I just didn't see it. With maturity sometimes comes wisdom . . . for some.

I may go to bed soon as I am old and need to sleep every now and then.

Special thanks to those that post positive things . . . thank you.

Manyuniforms

Forum Probie
Many Uniforms . . . well I will stick with "too" many uniforms I do notice that you hide behind your screen name and remain anonymous although you like to throw out so many derogatory comments. Perhaps this is why you end up wearing so many uniforms. You will note I have been very open about who I am and what I and AmeriCare is all about. Certainly no company is perfect and nobody or company can please all of the people all of the time but some people just can not be please as their reality is too far apart from true reality. It sounds like you worked here at AmeriCare. It sounds like we decided that the relationship was not one we wanted to continue with. It sounds like you ran out of a busier station and may not have been able to achieve the station of choice. That happens . . . there does not have to be hard feelings. There are other companies out there but I would caution you that if your reality doesn't change your pleasure working as an EMT will not either. Its just a matter of telling yourself at each beginning of watch that you are going to have a good day that day and it will happen. I am sorry AmeriCare did not live up to your expectations. Dispatchers make mistakes as EMTs do. Yes we run calls. We did just purchase a system that will pre-determine the closest units to a call that can be cross referenced with the destination point and location of the home station to help with some of your issues . . . I am not sure I or anyone can help you with all your issues but I do apologize that your employment relationship with AmeriCare was not what you anticipated. I do read EMTLIFE every now and then to see if there is something I think we can improve upon or try to help. I have read your posts to take what I can from them to implement positive change. So I thank you for the comments even though the approach was a bit rough.

You should begin by completely gutting out your management, its the most diseased element of your operations. Not just the lack of training and education, but most of them have no ems experience let alone managerial or leadership qualities and that I have to caution you may cost you thousands of dollars in law suits .... Second you should hire real dispatchers not just random people that are maybe worthy of being titled call takers ... You need someone in communications that realizes their role.. and that's to assist the field professionals. You have a great group EMTs and Paramedics but unfortunately a lot of them are sabotaged of their performance due to lies of your mid level guys you have appointed to simply take a crack at your employees that are really bringing in the cheddar...
What you quoted to me earlier in your post about your program or cad is probably the bs they feed you.. At the end of the day there is no excuse ...you should hold the dispatchers accountable to the same degree you hold you crew members . that's an area you have never explored. Oh by the way your managers or should I say minions lie to you and fudge the numbers completely I've heard them joke about how little you know about your company...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've removed all of the hate and vitriol from this thread. This is the final warning. If you have something to say, be POLITE and CIVIL. Spewing unsubstantiated claims and personal attacks here are NOT allowed. Next time I remove posts, the authors are getting a vacation.

Manyuniforms

Forum Probie
Our Medics that fit the prequalification's make about $350 per 24 hour shift (paid hourly). Some prefer IFTs. There are time we receive ALS 911 responses from various departments. We are the only company that I know of (and the FDs I deal with) that have both 911 contracts and that run dual medics often (required for 911 ALS response for privates). We do run 1 on 1s as well.

Softball: Apparently many uniforms is called that because he has had so many uniforms taken away through termination. S/he seems a bit bitter. I am not sure what we did to them or what the world has but I hesitate to listen or answer to only negativity. We do have a softball team however the guns and hoses (cops/fireman) tournaments we were playing in were pretty rough. We had some female employees that were there to have fun almost get killed by some LASO human tanks . . . we have not played since. We will play if we have 10 to 12 people that have tournament experience that can handle that. In the Fire Tournaments even some fire departments are not big enough to put together a competitive team that can hand with some of the big ones (LAPD Blue, LA Fire, elite military, etc.) but we are always open to it as long as players are prepared for that caliber of challenge. Normally the Cinco De Mayo tournament has some more fun and that is a better one to shoot for as we build a team. I play softball 3 nights a week and baseball on Sundays along with coaching my 3 boys so I am always up for them. They are fun tournaments.

We do have a bunch of old EMTs as we all grew up in the industry. Most of us did some other things and explored other avenues but yes with age becomes "old" sorry "too" many you will be old someday too.

The lift test was designed to make sure your back is prepared for the rigors of an AmeriCare EMT. I will never say being an EMT is an easy job because it isn't. It is what you make of it and can be fun, exciting, and rewarding . . . but it is up to you. Someone like Many that is bitter will not enjoy the job and find all the things wrong with it. I remember at Seals ambulance we were paid 3.75 an hour 13 hours on the 24 (no matter what no more) and worked 5 to 7 days a week . . . yet we made the best of it. Life and your job is what you make of it. I am sorry HR didn't get back to you. We did have a couple HR people leave almost at once and nobody realized where who was at in the hiring process. Medical issues at times come up without notice or very little notice. I apologize if you were not timely informed and I truly hope that is not an "MO" for the department. We have a great staff in there and I know they mean the very best for each applicant as each applicant is important to us. We have had many EMTs fail the test and do the back exercises and stretching and pass with flying colors the next time. Its up to you but obviously we do allow it within our policy to retest over time.

I am not sure who the AmeriCare Supervisor is but yes they may have gone to bed as apparently we are all old and need our sleep . . . they also have a job to do . . . their main job is to serve our field staff and it does take a lot of effort to ensure the operation flows. I am not sure how age and the need for sleep is means for a derogatory remark as we all need sleep and we all age . . . unless you know a secret to ceasing the aging process combined with the ability skip sleep that I don't know of.

I know I do my very best to try to make EMTs jobs fun (again with the thought it is what YOU make of it) and we do have rules that you must live by. We have the best stations in the industry (and the most) . . . we have them because I worked as an EMT for many years and I know what it is like. I do ask that our staff care for them as they cost us a lot to have stations and not to post all day from one main station. We do ask that you care for your equipment and yes people like "many" have caused us to go to drive cams. However the main purpose was for accidents and many accidents are plain NOT OUR FAULT and our insurance carrier gave us the camereas and required us to put them in for a better premium as they have helped us out far more than hindered us. EMTs sure love those cameras when someone says "you ran the red light", "you didn't stop", or "you were speeding" etc. and the camera proves that they weren't and better proves they were not at fault. They have really aided in clearing our drivers so many times I can not count in a fairly short time. They have also caused many terminations from reviews showing egregious policy violations or driving issues.

Every now and then I pop into EMTLIFE to see what things are popping around and I am willing to clarify when I can. I generally don't respond to negative stuff but today I felt I should as it was so far fetched after our recent meetings I found it ironic.

Yeah I am old . . . but lack experience I don't think so. I see the "EMTLIFE" for what it is and it can be fun and exciting and can really be rewarding; it wont be if you don't let it be. If you look for negative you will find negative. If you see the positive and are thankful for it you day, life, and career will all be much more rewarding.

Many Uniforms I truly hope you don't wear our uniform now or anytime in the future. As I said your job is what you make of it. I bet someday you will look back at AmeriCare and say WOW that is a cool place. They really did give me the tools to do my job and have fun doing it . . . I just didn't see it. With maturity sometimes comes wisdom . . . for some.

I may go to bed soon as I am old and need to sleep every now and then.

Special thanks to those that post positive things . . . thank you.

You hope I don't wear your uniform??? You don't pay enough... You can't afford me. Im not worth 8 and some change an hour.

MunchkinMedic

Forum Crew Member
Just my two cents....

When I worked at Americare in the past few years, as a female I was treated like a second class citizen and was made to feel like I couldn't do the job despite being VERY capable, largely due to the fact I wouldn't & didn't fraternize with male management. Female management had a tendency to look down on me as well. The rigs were often in their last stages of life, and absolutely were not safe to be on the road with brakes going out on me left and right. When I would try to down the rig for safety concerns, I would often be put into a rig that was even worse off. Many of the stations had serious mold concerns and while I was working an Orange County station one night, it flooded big time, and they put us right back in the shift after with no concerns for our health or safety. Lift assists were often denied. Working the ALS car, the medic was underpaid & overworked which hasn't changed at all. During the tenure of my employment, I had 3 yes three paychecks bounce completely and got bit with ridiculous overdraft fees because of their inability to pay employees. We were given our checks on Friday but often told we had to wait till Monday or Tuesday to cash them otherwise they wouldn't be good.

Just my experience is all I have to say, though I know there are many others that can validate this.

Manyuniforms

Forum Probie
When I worked at Americare in the past few years, as a female I was treated like a second class citizen and was made to feel like I couldn't do the job despite being VERY capable, largely due to the fact I wouldn't & didn't fraternize with male management. Female management had a tendency to look down on me as well. The rigs were often in their last stages of life, and absolutely were not safe to be on the road with brakes going out on me left and right. When I would try to down the rig for safety concerns, I would often be put into a rig that was even worse off. Many of the stations had serious mold concerns and while I was working an Orange County station one night, it flooded big time, and they put us right back in the shift after with no concerns for our health or safety. Lift assists were often denied. Working the ALS car, the medic was underpaid & overworked which hasn't changed at all. During the tenure of my employment, I had 3 yes three paychecks bounce completely and got bit with ridiculous overdraft fees because of their inability to pay employees. We were given our checks on Friday but often told we had to wait till Monday or Tuesday to cash them otherwise they wouldn't be good.

Just my experience is all I have to say, though I know there are many others that can validate this.

Thank you very much for sharing that... That's very accurate of Americare... As EMTs and Paramedics we deserve to be treated like professionals ifts or 911..

Status
Not open for further replies.