Ambulances held hostage

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
We do not subscribe to the “if everyone is on divert then no one is on divert.” The system appoints a controller hospital when everyone is on divert to distribute patients in real time based on fractional capacity, staffing, and proximity to the call location. The crew calls the controller and they get an assignment. The patient can override this I suppose but I’m yet to have anyone insist on being taken to a full facility. non-voluntary psych and intoxicated patients are not afforded a choice at all.
Does that work better in your area than in the Denver area? At the start of our current divert crisis, we were calling zone master hospitals and nobody on the hospital end (other than Denver Health) had any idea what we were talking about. We recently started a protocol where if more than 4 midtown hospitals are on divert our dispatch assigns destinations. It's worked infinitely better.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Does that work better in your area than in the Denver area? At the start of our current divert crisis, we were calling zone master hospitals and nobody on the hospital end (other than Denver Health) had any idea what we were talking about. We recently started a protocol where if more than 4 midtown hospitals are on divert our dispatch assigns destinations. It's worked infinitely better.
Probably yes it’s more suited to here than Denver. We only have two health networks and a total of four real hospitals in El Paso county, along with a non-designated ED that’s a step up from an freestanding as well as an Army hospital. The largest (Memorial Central) is in charge of the zone master and the other three hospitals are very familiar with it and don’t give the crews any issue. It also helps that we have unified medical direction across both health systems with multiple docs from each, they’re the ones that can push this and iron out kinks. Zone master utilizations are reviewed by medical direction monthly as well to make sure no one is “cheating.”

Last edited:

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
In my experience this is mostly a socioeconomic problem. In the more affluent areas, a larger portion of people have health insurance, primary care physicians, and urgent care access. In the more poverty stricken areas, these benefits aren't afforded to the population. If you don't have a primary care doctor, how do you expect people to know who to turn to? If whenever they have a medical problem, and EMS transports them to the ER for a solution, then they'll keep doing so.

A major push needs to be done on educating the public. How many times have you been on the person with chronic issues, that just get a band-aid fix in the ER (which is totally reasonable since that's what the ER is for), and call again a few days later because their problem reoccurs since they never received definitive care.

The real question is, what is the solution? Are the hospitals motivated to fix the issue? Do they want fewer patients coming into their ER? Less patients, less revenue, less profits. Will the public ever listen to the preaching of their healthcare providers that the ER is not for primary care?

I feel public education is the only cure for this issue. It's like the Southern California Freeways. You can keep making them bigger, and bigger, and bigger. But you know what? They never fix the problem, as by the time they're done, there's 10,000 more cars an hour on them.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The real question is, what is the solution? Are the hospitals motivated to fix the issue? Do they want fewer patients coming into their ER? Less patients, less revenue, less profits. Will the public ever listen to the preaching of their healthcare providers that the ER is not for primary care?
An overcrowded ED filled with uninsured frequent flyers is not a revenue generator for a hospital - quite the opposite.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
An overcrowded ED filled with uninsured frequent flyers is not a revenue generator for a hospital - quite the opposite.
States help to reimburse for uninsured patients, as well as tax write offs for expenses. While not necessarily profit, it's not a total loss.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
In the grand scheme of things, I'm sure those patients generate revenue in the form of some sort of government subsidy to reimburse them for taking care of uninsured patients.

It's like a car dealer who tells you they paid 18,000 for that car from the manufacturer and if they sell it for 17,000, they're losing money.

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
States help to reimburse for uninsured patients, as well as tax write offs for expenses. While not necessarily profit, it's not a total loss.
and
In the grand scheme of things, I highly doubt those patients don't generate revenue in the form of some sort of government subsidy to reimburse them for taking care of uninsured patients.

It's like a car dealer who tells you they paid 18,000 for that car from the manufacturer and if they sell it for 17,000, they're losing money.
There is some reimbursement (charity care for the uninsured, but for undocumented or homeless, it's usually a writeoff), but more often than not, inner city ERs run in the red... all the time. Not only that, but often the revenue generated doesn't always cover the costs of the services provide, but they are legally required to provide the life saving interventions and assessments, regardless of the ability to pay. They (like EMS) consistently lose money, because they are required to provide services, with no guarantee of ever getting paid. In the EMS world, it's the interfacility transports that tend to generate the most profit and offset 911 losses, while in the hospitals, it's the more profitable departments, such as those listed below:

I don't pretend to know everything about hospital budgets or operations, but I do know that some departments historically lose money (ER and trauma come to mind), while others are cash cows, and the reason hospitals continue to operate those money losing departments is those losses are offset by the consistent gains from the profitable departments.

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

FiremanMike

Just a dude
and

There is some reimbursement (charity care for the uninsured, but for undocumented or homeless, it's usually a writeoff), but more often than not, inner city ERs run in the red... all the time. Not only that, but often the revenue generated doesn't always cover the costs of the services provide, but they are legally required to provide the life saving interventions and assessments, regardless of the ability to pay. They (like EMS) consistently lose money, because they are required to provide services, with no guarantee of ever getting paid. In the EMS world, it's the interfacility transports that tend to generate the most profit and offset 911 losses, while in the hospitals, it's the more profitable departments, such as those listed below:

I don't pretend to know everything about hospital budgets or operations, but I do know that some departments historically lose money (ER and trauma come to mind), while others are cash cows, and the reason hospitals continue to operate those money losing departments is those losses are offset by the consistent gains from the profitable departments.
And I'm saying it's smoke and mirrors.

If ER's were ultimately losing money, then explain the proliferation of standalone ERs in the last 5 years.

In my town there are 3 major hospital systems, two privates and a public. Between the 3 systems, there has easily been $10B in upgrades/expansions in the last 5-7 years.

Hospitals are NOT running in the red, no matter how much they want to claim that they are..

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Something unique to your area? Where I'm at there aren't any standalone ERs, and where I was in LA, hospitals were closing ERs instead...

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
And I'm saying it's smoke and mirrors.

If ER's were ultimately losing money, then explain the proliferation of standalone ERs in the last 5 years.

In my town there are 3 major hospital systems, two privates and a public. Between the 3 systems, there has easily been $10B in upgrades/expansions in the last 5-7 years.

Hospitals are NOT running in the red, no matter how much they want to claim that they are..
There is a difference between saying a hospital is running in the red and saying that one of their major departments is running in the red. Obviously there could be exceptions, but ER's that are attached to hospitals are definitely not net revenue generators in most cases.

When you say "standalone ER" do you mean an off-site part of a hospital system, or a freestanding facility that is not affiliated with a hospital? My guess would be that the offsite hospital facility attracts a different clientele who otherwise might not even go to the ER (patients who are mostly insured and don't want to sit in a crowded waiting room for hours, OR just don't want to drive all the way to the big hospital and deal with parking, etc.), which may make that facility itself profitable, especially when you consider the downstream revenue that follows referral to physicians and services that are part of that health system. Also it takes some pressure off of the ER at the hospital. In short, that is a way to funnel a better payor mix into your system.

In the case of what is essentially an urgent care that has an "EMERGENCY" sign out front, many of those freestanding places don't accept CMS patients and thus are not bound by EMTALA. They make money hand over fist.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
There is a difference between saying a hospital is running in the red and saying that one of their major departments is running in the red. Obviously there could be exceptions, but ER's that are attached to hospitals are definitely not net revenue generators in most cases.

When you say "standalone ER" do you mean an off-site part of a hospital system, or a freestanding facility that is not affiliated with a hospital? My guess would be that the offsite hospital facility attracts a different clientele who otherwise might not even go to the ER (patients who are mostly insured and don't want to sit in a crowded waiting room for hours, OR just don't want to drive all the way to the big hospital and deal with parking, etc.), which may make that facility itself profitable, especially when you consider the downstream revenue that follows referral to physicians and services that are part of that health system. Also it takes some pressure off of the ER at the hospital. In short, that is a way to funnel a better payor mix into your system.

In the case of what is essentially an urgent care that has an "EMERGENCY" sign out front, many of those freestanding places don't accept CMS patients and thus are not bound by EMTALA. They make money hand over fist.
Off-site part of the hospital system, and yes they are all placed in "strategic areas" (i.e. not ghetto).

As to the ER being a loss leader, it's still a part of the package. How many of those mega-bux cash cow inpatients made entry to that hospital through the ER.. I'm guessing that they, plus the price gouging that occurs to those who are in the ER with insurance generate than enough cash to offset the non-payers down there..

Then there's the grant funding they get

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Off-site part of the hospital system, and yes they are all placed in "strategic areas" (i.e. not ghetto).

As to the ER being a loss leader, it's still a part of the package. How many of those mega-bux cash cow inpatients made entry to that hospital through the ER.. I'm guessing that they, plus the price gouging that occurs to those who are in the ER with insurance generate than enough cash to offset the non-payers down there..

Then there's the grant funding they get
Look, the point here is that it isn't any financial incentive to having an overcrowded ER with long wait times. ED care is expensive to provide, a large proportion of those patients are uninsured, the all important Press-Ganey scores suffer, and no one wants to work there.

There is no secret conspiracy among hospital administration to intentionally make paramedics (and importantly, their patients) hold the wall for hours because the hospital somehow profits from it.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Look, the point here is that it isn't any financial incentive to having an overcrowded ER with long wait times. ED care is expensive to provide, a large proportion of those patients are uninsured, the all important Press-Ganey scores suffer, and no one wants to work there.

There is no secret conspiracy among hospital administration to intentionally make paramedics (and importantly, their patients) hold the wall for hours because the hospital somehow profits from it.
Didn’t mean to come off as a conspiracy theorist, I was merely injecting that hospitals generate an unfathomable amount of money each year. The homeless drunks with no insurance aren’t bankrupting anyone..

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Didn’t mean to come off as a conspiracy theorist, I was merely injecting that hospitals generate an unfathomable amount of money each year. The homeless drunks with no insurance aren’t bankrupting anyone..
And no one ever suggested that they were. This whole line of discussion was a response to the idea that hospitals somehow want their EDs to be overcrowded because they somehow profit from long wait times.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
And no one ever suggested that they were. This whole line of discussion was a response to the idea that hospitals somehow want their EDs to be overcrowded because they somehow profit from long wait times.
Ah, i thought we were past that part of the thread, I guess I was responding to what was a tangential side conversation..

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
How much do you think hospitals are reimbursed for uninsured patients? And what is your definition of a 'total loss'? And who ultimately pays?(hint...property owners in the county for starters...) Whatever bones the county or state throw the hospitals in the form of Medicaid or Medicare, or worse, some kind of local subsidy, it's a pitiful fraction of what the actual per patient cost of maintaining a 24/365 ER. Reimbursement for what is provided is abysmal at best. But it's the system we have and the shortfall is made up in other areas...but the ER ain't that...

Didn’t mean to come off as a conspiracy theorist, I was merely injecting that hospitals generate an unfathomable amount of money each year. The homeless drunks aren’t bankrupting anyone..
Ha...generate? No Bro, they don't generate anything...they collect. And that from people with benefits that their employers provide which offsets the homeless drunks with no insurance. That's built into the system. You are providing those dollars. And folks can say what they want about healthcare delivery in the US but you can have same day service for your hot gall bladder here instead of going home and waiting for 3 weeks like you would in other systems.

Last edited:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
And folks can say what they want about healthcare delivery in the US but you can have same day service for your hot gall bladder here instead of going home and waiting for 3 weeks like you would in other systems.
Isn't that the truth. Nothing keeps me at work late or gets me being called back in more often than a damn lap chole.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Ha...generate? No Bro, they don't generate anything...they collect. And that from people with benefits that their employers provide which offsets the homeless drunks with no insurance. That's built into the system. You are providing those dollars. And folks can say what they want about healthcare delivery in the US but you can have same day service for your hot gall bladder here instead of going home and waiting for 3 weeks like you would in other systems.
Generate, collect, tomato, tomato..

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not complaining about the US healthcare system, like I said I was just responding to the notion that hospitals are losing money, the amount of money that goes through a hospital in the way of billing, grant generation, residency reimbursement, charitable donations, and I'm sure other funding sources is simply staggering.