Ambulance Speed Limit?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
@dutemplar, this is my understanding as well.

In CT, for example:

i.e. if you are an emergency vehicle (police, fire, EMS) en route to a call, you may, among other things, "exceed the posted speed limits" as long as you "[do] not endanger life or property by doing so..."

I think one needs a law degree to interpret that one, but, in general, it looks like you can indeed exceed posted limits.

FWIW, NYS seems to have a similar statute, am I right, @NysEms2117?

Due regard.

A concept that is lost on many.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
There's a whole endless loop. That's the general concept. I'll do the whole legal thing on lunch :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Epi was just about head on. NYS statue 1104 a-c, subsection 1-4 on section b states:
"(b) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle may:

1. Stop, stand or park irrespective of the provisions of this title;
  2. Proceed past a steady red signal, a flashing red signal or a stop sign, but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operations;
  3. Exceed the maximum speed limits so long as he does not endanger life or property;
  4. Disregard the regulations governing directions of movement or turning in specified directions;"
HOWEVER, this excludes police vehicles: "Except for an authorized emergency vehicle operated as a police vehicle, the exemptions herein granted to an authorized emergency vehicle shall apply only when audible signals are sounded from any said vehicle while in motion by bell, horn, siren, electronic device or exhaust whistle as may be reasonably necessary, and when the vehicle is equipped with at least one lighted lamp so that from any direction, under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet from such vehicle, at least one red light will be displayed and visible."
These laws are often referred to as V&T laws in most states. ~~~~~~~ this means police can make silent approaches (legally) to a house for a burglary in progress ect.

@DEmedic I think this quote is what you were trying to hammer home "Each EMS response vehicle operator must recognize that the emergency vehicle has no absolute right of way, it is qualified and cannot be taken forcefully"

There are also legal mandates saying ambulances even L&S must stop for school bus', construction zones, as well as police officers discretion (another accident/ telephone pole maintenance ect).
Part 800 in NYS is what an ambulance must carry, and all that fun jazz. As per part 800.21 of NYCRR (codes rules and regulations book for the state), or ALSFR say that they as a company can revise laws (only stricter, not more leniency) such as speed restrictions, and any other zones to slow down.

Also a thing to remember in most states volunteers have POV lights(stupid imo), however in most states they are courtesy lights which are not legally mandated as emergency vehicles.
Sources: NYS DOH EMS policy 00-13

phideux

Forum Captain
On the ambulance we rarely run code to the hospital. We are never far away. Technically our rules say that we can run 10mph over the limit and if our lights are on, so are the sirens, we don't run lights only.

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
I think it has to come down to common sense and driving with due regard. If you are in town where speeds can vary anywhere from 15-35mph, 10 over is a sizable % increase in speed. Not to mention the close proximity of other people, and the significantly higher chance of cross traffic.

If you are on a straight, flat, 2 or 4 lane highway, during the day, with light to no traffic, and a speed limit of 70, 10mph over will probably get you passed.

Do I think the additional time saved by going faster then that in an urban area with shorter transports can really make a difference? No
Do I think the additional time saved by going faster than that in a rural area with very long transport times on open roads designed for high speeds COULD MAYBE make a difference and maintain safety? Possibly

Both still need to be driven with due regard, and not arriving at all because you rolled in the ditch at 90mph, or you clipped a pedestrian doing 45 down a residential, is the best way to lose more than just your PT or your job.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
School zone with children present is posted speed limit.

Regular roads is whatever the ambulance governs at.

Freeways are same as above.

All driving is done like a bat outta hell.

Fixed it for you.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
The greatest time savings while running hot don't come from the increase in speed.

They come from the ability to request the right of way at intersections. Parting traffic like the red sea, safely slipping through a red light and moving on instead of sitting in a line of cars picking your nose for 2-3 cycles of the light waiting for your chance to get through.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The point is, using lights and sirens dramatically increases the risk of a motor vehicle collision... and in the majority of transports, the minimal time saved isn't clinically significant.

Bottom line, in most cases it's safer for you, your partner and your patient to sit and pick your nose through a couple of traffic light cycles.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I personally feel driving lights and sirens the same way you drive normally is beneficial. Just to make the ride smoother, stop at lights maybe cut a few minutes off( in a safe manner). I will say driving Leo L&S is legit a whole new world

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
Bottom line, in most cases it's safer for you, your partner and your patient to sit and pick your nose through a couple of traffic light cycles.

Oh without a doubt, the vast majority of our transports are non-emergent.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
The point is, using lights and sirens dramatically increases the risk of a motor vehicle collision... and in the majority of transports, the minimal time saved isn't clinically significant.

This. Geezuz this. All of this. I think it's safe to admit an old partner and I tested our theory out way back when I was a tech to see the difference in an area where we knew even in peak LA traffic we wouldn't get an "over".

The timed difference between a code 3 response and not? A whopping 2 minutes. For a low-level BLS-d patient.

And I am so glad we're not expected to go code to the ED where I am now for every friggin' ALS work-up.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
This. Geezuz this. All of this. I think it's safe to admit an old partner and I tested our theory out way back when I was a tech to see the difference in an area where we knew even in peak LA traffic we wouldn't get an "over".

The timed difference between a code 3 response and not? A whopping 2 minutes. For a low-level BLS-d patient.

And I am so glad we're not expected to go code to the ED where I am now for every friggin' ALS work-up.
do the helicopters have lights and sirens too :oops::rolleyes::p?? lol

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
do the helicopters have lights and sirens too :oops::rolleyes::p?? lol
I actually had a paramedic student a few months ago ask me why helicopters didn't have lights and sirens...

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I actually had a paramedic student a few months ago ask me why helicopters didn't have lights and sirens...
please tell me your joking... or please tell me he's not a paramedic now..