Ambulance Ride Alongs!

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
Why would you want to stay longer? I think it is safe to say most of us already volunteer for OT shifts when we have nothing else going on. So why would I want to stay when I shouldn't have too? I don't have a wife or kids but it still bothers me. I get that its going to happen once in a while because its part of the job, but if it is happening all the time then something is wrong. That is a reason for people burning out so quickly. Just my opinion, but you can't expect people to be "ok" with something over and over again if they were not scheduled for it.
What do you mean "So why would I want to stay when I shouldn't have to?"...You signed up to help others, right? So if you and your partner are expected to run calls until the end of your shift then you should, even if that shift ends in a minute. Wouldn't really look good on your part to walk out on a call and have it go to mutual aid, or have it sent somewhere else when you and your partner are fully trained EMT's who are expected to be ready to respond at all times during your scheduled shift.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
What do you mean "So why would I want to stay when I shouldn't have to?"...You signed up to help others, right? So if you and your partner are expected to run calls until the end of your shift then you should, even if that shift ends in a minute. Wouldn't really look good on your part to walk out on a call and have it go to mutual aid, or have it sent somewhere else when you and your partner are fully trained EMT's who are expected to be ready to respond at all times during your scheduled shift.

That is literally nothing at all what I said. Have a good day.

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
Last edited by a moderator:

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
That is literally nothing at all what I said. Have a good day.
It's right above my reply, and if youre denying that then you're acting like a child. Also: "but you can't expect people to be "ok" with something over and over again if they were not scheduled for it"...Why are you expecting for calls to be scheduled? If you can see the future and when a call would go out, then god bless you man, but for now, one of the main points of EMS is to be ready at all times. Have a good night.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
It's right above my reply, and if youre denying that then you're acting like a child. Also: "but you can't expect people to be "ok" with something over and over again if they were not scheduled for it"...Why are you expecting for calls to be scheduled? If you can see the future and when a call would go out, then god bless you man, but for now, one of the main points of EMS is to be ready at all times. Have a good night.

His point is that being held over on shift consistently is BS (when it is management's fault for not scheduling enough trucks). Which is completely true. We aren't talking unforeseeable emergencies, but about IFT calls that are lined up on a board hours earlier. Ones that management could easily let the later shift handle when they have the chance, but would rather dump on the crew getting off so that they can improve their numbers.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

I have a life outside of my job. When my job routinely interferes with my life, there is a problem. Late calls happen, it's part of EMS. But that doesn't mean that a solution can't be reached that helps cut down on how often it happens. I show up early for my shift (24s). My relief shows up at shift change. Guess who runs more late calls? Think I'm not mad about that?

I'm not gonna punt a call to mutual aid because I'm going to be off late, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I work to live not live to work. A late call once in a while isn't a big deal. Every day and I start to get mad. If you're consistently running late calls your agency needs to address staffing levels.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
I get held over routinely, usually cause everyone is doing transfers. I expect it from a for profit company. I wish I knew more about the hospital side and why they cant discharge more patients at 10am when we aren't doing anything.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I get held over routinely, usually cause everyone is doing transfers. I expect it from a for profit company. I wish I knew more about the hospital side and why they cant discharge more patients at 10am when we aren't doing anything.

Because the floors generally don't want them either. That said, if the transporting company just happened to not be available until a certain time, well, then that's what it is.

Didn't really make the connection when reading this before, but I suppose I can relate. I get some threatening looks from the floor nurses if I bring a patient up from the Pt just a few minutes before or at shift change. Its not 2 hours, and certainly is no hefty burden, but they still throw some pissy looks for having to stay back a few minutes.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief

Others knew what was being said, and further proved my point, sir.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
It took me six shifts to get my first call running with a volunteer squad (duty crews). I drew the unlucky straw, I guess. Normally the shifts are busier. They currently do 5000+ calls a year with two units on all day. On a side night, the first shift that I did get a call, we ran four calls in 6 hours.

OP
OP
G

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
Dont feel bad, I did 2 12 hour shifts with a volunteer agency during the day. It was a town of 4000 people. ER there only has 6 beds. And during the 2 shifts. I had no hitters.:rofl: So I had to call my EMT-B Instructor and he had to assign me to a agency that has more call volumes. Finally after getting assigned to a new agency. I did a shift 12 hours. And I had 7 calls during that time. Then I finished my required runs for MN EMSRB. :p