Ambulance driving tips

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
So what was the result? Are you still working? Has your driving improved? :unsure:

emtstud1198

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys.

I'm a pretty new EMT (4/01), and I got hired at an ambulance company. I finished the mandatory 40 hours of ride time, and the evaluation came back thus: my driving sucks. I get two more shifts to improve it, or I'm outta there.

I really, really, really don't want to lose my job! :sad:

I was wondering if anybody here had any tips on driving. I think my biggest fears are my blind spots, because I can't turn around to see if anyone's in them because I can't see anything, and I'm afraid to hit someone. I also can't always see where I am on the road, and my supervisor perennially warn me about the curb. I've tried adjusting the mirrors but I can't seem to get better at it.

Another thing I'm bad at is lifting. I'm a girl with not a whole lot of upper body strength, and I'm having a really hard time lifting some of our heavier (morbidly obese) patients, even at the foot end of the stretcher. Do you guys know any techniques I could use to get stronger and/or to make lifting easier?

Thanks. I really appreciate it. :wub:

Yes don't feel bad I am in the same boat pal. I need to improve my driving. My partner complained and my supervisor got two complaints from people in the city where I drive. When your adrenaline is high you get tunnel vision. Focusing on the worst outcome prior to arrival. And you are driving and all the sudden its time to make a left or right turn and the police or other responders see light under the ambulance on two wheels. That is not good! Make me feel like an idiot. What you and I need to do is "SLOW DOWN!" Remember your safety and your partner's safety is the up most important thing prior to arriving to that patient. When transporting make sure that all crew members and patient are secured and items stowed before departure. Curves and corners and my braking speed sucks! I admit to that. But it takes patience and practice. Ask your supervisor if he/or she can have a partner take you out in the country and learn how to drive. That is how I am learning. But my last call was not good. I do wish you good luck, I know I have to focus and practice more.

emtstud1198

Forum Ride Along
Ambulance Driving---To short bus

No Brother I was merely making the point not to drive like a bat out of hell because your pt in the back is feeling the pain of the road, I only got that lesson when my FTO put me on a stretcher and drove like I use too.
Hippopotasium congratulations brother I am happy for you:)
My partner did the same for me. And it is a great learning tool. I almost needed Zolfran myself. Now I have feelings for patients who have to ride in that ambulance.

emtstud1198

Forum Ride Along
Stay off the cell phone. I know everyone says it about driving in general, but there is a whole lot more going on in the ambo. You need to pay attention to everything going on around you. You can also watch the people in the back and if they look like they are being thrown around, it is probably worse. Just ease up on it some.

For lifting, one thing that will help is if you hook the bottom portion of the handles on your belt buckle and use it like a 3rd hand. Sounds kinda strange, but it works. It helps you stay in close to the stretcher and helps with lifting with your legs and not your back. Good luck and congrats on the new job.
Yes I am the same with the Gas I floor it and when it come to turn. the Ambulance is on 2 wheels.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
And on the 8th year the EMS God said this thread shall be risen again.

Yes I am the same with the Gas I floor it and when it come to turn. the Ambulance is on 2 wheels.

That is hands down the most irresponsible, stupid, and idiotic thing I have ever heard.