Am I too old???

krusevitche

Forum Probie
Hi,
I am in a basic EMT training course and hopefully will pass all exams and so forth in May. I am 45 and I am feeling stressed out because of the old coot factor. I know I will be an excellent EMT as I have a bit of medical experience and have been exposed to trauma, stress, jerky healthcare professionals and much craziness. I also have a keen understanding of what it is to be a patient and as corny as it sounds, I want to help people. So, my question is, will I even be hired and if I am will the other EMT's look down on me because I am old? Thank you all!!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I know a medic that started in EMS when he was older than you. You'll be fine.

MrJones

Iconoclast
Hi,
I am in a basic EMT training course and hopefully will pass all exams and so forth in May. I am 45 and I am feeling stressed out because of the old coot factor. I know I will be an excellent EMT as I have a bit of medical experience and have been exposed to trauma, stress, jerky healthcare professionals and much craziness. I also have a keen understanding of what it is to be a patient and as corny as it sounds, I want to help people. So, my question is, will I even be hired and if I am will the other EMT's look down on me because I am old? Thank you all!!

I was older than that (by more that a year or two, I might add) when I started, and got my first EMT job in less than a month from the time I was licensed.

And don't worry - the other EMTs will look down on you regardless of your age - until you demonstrate a basic level of competence, a willingness to learn, a sense of humor and the willingness to be a productive member of the team.

Relax.

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
I'm 50 and sitting for national registry this Saturday, you're just a young pup. Relax and enjoy the ride!

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi,

You're just over half as old as the oldest volunteer in our area. He passed his EMT class a few years ago. A volly department South of us is made up of almost entirely retirees older than 65. Many of them are at the EMT-Intermediate level.

45 is the new 35. Just don't expect the work to help you with any preexisting back/knee/joint problems.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I'm 37, started EMT-B class in January at a community college, is a semester long program there. I am the oldest in the class by over 2 years!

I don't think age will be a factor though. Just because we've got some life experience behind us doesn't mean we're washed up just yet! :)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I worked with a guy who was 40 something (I think, coulda been over 50) and just starting out. He was a pilot who got laid off from an airline and then by UPS. Said he always had an interest and it seemed like a fun thing to do until the economy improved.

Most detail oriented person I've ever worked with, we got along great. It was a little weird being the senior person over someone my parent's age but he was great.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I worked with a guy who was 40 something (I think, coulda been over 50) and just starting out. He was a pilot who got laid off from an airline and then by UPS. Said he always had an interest and it seemed like a fun thing to do until the economy improved.

Most detail oriented person I've ever worked with, we got along great. It was a little weird being the senior person over someone my parent's age but he was great.

I think this is frequently a retirement job for pilots. I know two with similar stories.

heresay

Forum Crew Member
The way I see it is if you can do the job the right way and safely, your just as qualified as the 20 yr. old person. Don't let age be your determining factor.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
correct me if I am wrong but some jobs/agencies (especially those that require an academy) have a cut off age, (such as FDNY EMS?not sure)
Also I have seen flight jobs with cut off age and also international jobs.
They may not be the norm but they are out there

Veneficus

Forum Chief
correct me if I am wrong but some jobs/agencies (especially those that require an academy) have a cut off age, (such as FDNY EMS?not sure)
Also I have seen flight jobs with cut off age and also international jobs.
They may not be the norm but they are out there

A lot of fire agencies I am aware of have age restricitons.

Actualy I haven't found any professional FD that didn't come to think of it.

I think it is a useless and outdated concept though. Despite living longer and more actively, you may notice that agencies never really increase their age requirements.

It is also a poor measure of relative health status in modern society.

kaisardog

Forum Crew Member
starting at... 65

I and my k9 do search and rescue . i thought an EMT ticket would be a big help treating people who fall off 50 foot cliffs, so I am in class as we speak, and am by far the oldest..by about 30 years.

so wish me luck in my final practicals, and the NREMT exam..:rolleyes:

kaisardog

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I and my k9 do search and rescue . i thought an EMT ticket would be a big help treating people who fall off 50 foot cliffs, so I am in class as we speak, and am by far the oldest..by about 30 years.

so wish me luck in my final practicals, and the NREMT exam..:rolleyes:

kaisardog

Just take your geritol before the practical, you'll be fine. :D

Really, though, if you are able to do SAR, you are probably more than capable to handle the less rigorous civilian EMS.

kaisardog

Forum Crew Member
thanks for the vote of confidence! since red meat = iron= bad cholesterol, geritol is the new steak. :D

my k9 gets 5 miles a day of tracking practice, so keeping up with her is a task unto itself.

Mookie

Forum Probie
I started when I was 48. I'm 51 now and have progressed from Basic to Advanced. I work part time with county 911 service. Good gig and fits my schedule well. My advice to you and well, anyone else...mind your back. It's easy to get hurt. If you don't exercise, start.

phideux

Forum Captain
I got my medic a couple of weeks before I turned 50, as long as you are physically able to do the job, go for it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think this is frequently a retirement job for pilots. I know two with similar stories.

I'll be they make great drivers. :rofl:

My partner was still on probation and had to attend every call.