Am I foolin myself

Pierogi

Forum Probie
I've been told that a bad driving record can stop you in your tracks on your way to becoming an EMT. As personal or embarrasing as it may seem i'd like to post my driving record so i don't keep building myself up for something that might not be possible.

Your brutal honesty is encouraged. Thanks

- Speeding 10 over limit (6 months ago)
- Speeding 10 over limit (1 year ago)
- DUI (1 year 9 months ago, wasn't driving though. sleeping in the car with keys in it. I'm sure it doesn't make a difference though)
- accident with damage to state property ( 2 years ago)

wow, writting all that out doesn't look pleasing to my eyes. you think i got a chance in hell?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll guess no

Most places like a clean record at least 3 years back....

spisco85

Forum Lieutenant
Don't let your record stop you from moving forward. If you can't get a job with an ambulance company right now try a local ER or volunteer. There are tons of opportunities for you to gain experience while you wait for time to pass.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
The speeding ones you could have got away from, maybe, because they were fairly minor. The points may have killed you, depending on the department policy. Mine, for instance, considers you to have three points or more and you lose your EVOC.

That DUI kills you, though. You weren't driving, and as long as the police report (or arrest record) says that you were just sleeping in the back when the keys in the ignition, you may be able to convince a judge to expunge it or convince an ambulance company that you would NEVER drive while UTI.

I don't know the whole story, though. Were you sleeping in the car drunk at a expressway truck stop? Because that would of course mean you had to DRIVE to that truck stop, meaning you drove drunk to get there. But if you were in the driveway of the party or bar you got drunk at, and decided to sleep in the car rather than drive, you might just be able to convince a judge of that. Maybe.

But without that, my personal and honest opinion is no, EMS is likely not going to happen. Not to say that emergency medical is out for you completely. ER work doesn't require clean driving bills, so you could always get your trauma junkie kicks there instead.

OzAmbo

Forum Crew Member
- DUI (1 year 9 months ago, wasn't driving though. sleeping in the car with keys in it. I'm sure it doesn't make a difference though)
That borderlines in ridiculous!! Did you accidently run over the cop's dog or something??

Sheesh!

OP
OP
P

Pierogi

Forum Probie
That borderlines in ridiculous!! Did you accidently run over the cop's dog or something??

Sheesh!

No. but i should of. I was at a hotel party and after seeing what was happening to some other people that passed out i decided to sleep in my car. i had the ac blowing and didn't think twice about the keys in the egnition. beats me how the cop found me sleeping. i woke up to red white and blue lights.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Ahhh...and more of the story emerges.

Went from keys in the ignition while sleeping to keys in ignition with AC blowing which indicates to me the engine was running as well.

So essentially you were in a running vehicle asleep. Did you happen to be behind the wheel as well or curled in the backseat?

OP
OP
P

Pierogi

Forum Probie
ER work doesn't require clean driving bills, so you could always get your trauma junkie kicks there instead.[/QUOTE]

there's something that draws me to riding/driving the ambulance though. mostly the different scenarios youd run into and constant change of environment.

OP
OP
P

Pierogi

Forum Probie
*sigh* I was in the driver seat. i know it has guilty written all over it. i guess one could argue i tried to drive away and fell asleep

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Different states have different requirements for getting your EMT certification. The biggest problem I see is that even if you can get your EMT cert, it's very unlikely you will be able to find a paid or volunteer position until it's been more than 3 years since your DUI. Maybe even 5 years because of your other violations.

If you are really serious about wanting to be an EMT I suggest going the speed limit and avoiding any further moving violations.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
You haven't told us how old you are, which will make some difference.

As an employer, it's not so much the driving problem you have that would turn me off. It's the fact that you didn't have the smarts to take your tickets to a lawyer instead of paying them. That indicates a real lack of common sense, which is crucial to success in EMS. ;)

medic417

The Truth Provider
Don't let your record stop you from moving forward. If you can't get a job with an ambulance company right now try a local ER or volunteer. There are tons of opportunities for you to gain experience while you wait for time to pass.

Vollunteer agencys can not use him either they also have to have insurance. Many hospitals would also see all this in background check and decide he is to much of a risk.

Sorry unhirable by any reputable company.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I've been told that a bad driving record can stop you in your tracks on your way to becoming an EMT. As personal or embarrasing as it may seem i'd like to post my driving record so i don't keep building myself up for something that might not be possible.

Your brutal honesty is encouraged. Thanks

- Speeding 10 over limit (6 months ago)
- Speeding 10 over limit (1 year ago)
- accident with damage to state property ( 2 years ago)

wow, writting all that out doesn't look pleasing to my eyes. you think i got a chance in hell?

Is the fire department hiring? :rolleyes:

Just apply, explain your actions. Honesty is usually the best policy. You made mistakes. The question is have you learned from them.

Last edited by a moderator:

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
I believe (JPINFV correct me if I am wrong) For CA the DUI precludes you from getting your CDL which is a requirement for driving in CA and there by a requirement for employment.

spisco85

Forum Lieutenant
Vollunteer agencys can not use him either they also have to have insurance. Many hospitals would also see all this in background check and decide he is to much of a risk.

Sorry unhirable by any reputable company.

I agree with you that there are a lot of hurtles he would have to jump over but some volunteer agencies might let him be a technician without driving. Some agencies also put on longer probationary and stricter guidelines so there is always hope.

Or maybe I'm just feeling too optimistic lately. I still stand by my statement that he should not give up if this is what he wants to do.

OP
OP
P

Pierogi

Forum Probie
You haven't told us how old you are, which will make some difference.

As an employer, it's not so much the driving problem you have that would turn me off. It's the fact that you didn't have the smarts to take your tickets to a lawyer instead of paying them. That indicates a real lack of common sense, which is crucial to success in EMS. ;)

im 27. I probably should of seen a lawyer for the tickets. but i was working carpentry for a union company and money was good. wasn't thinking about a career change. wasn't thinking about my driving record.

on a side note. anyone been a medic in the military? and are you working in the same field when you got out?

frogtat2

Forum Crew Member
I work on a hospital based service. We have a few of our EMT's who, due to bad driving records, are not allowed to drive the rigs, but are allowed to be on the crew. (and one of them has a DUI on their record as well) The state's requirement is no felony against a person.

If EMS is what you want to do, don't give up on it.

imurphy

Forum Captain
You asked for brutal honesty, unfortunately, here it is.

No chance.

I only say this because a mate of mine went for a job and has a DUI over 2 years & 10 months ago. The only thing that stopped him being hired, was his record.

And I understand your wanting to be on the road. I know I couldn't work in the same walls all the time, but maybe ER Tech would be the thing for you. You can get experience, and keep your skills sharp while keeping your licence valid. Just wait it out.

As for the DUI. A DUI is a DUI. You say you were asleep after a party, I believe you. A cop could say "Found passed out in vehicle with motor running in drivers seat" adn who will a judge believe, you know the score.

Maybe you could get it expunged, I could be wrong. Try anyway!

medic417

The Truth Provider
I hate to sound rude but since all these violations are basically new I would as would most employers and even schools say no to you. Your actions have shown a pattern of possibly immaturity, or a problem with authority, or even possibly worse. I am sorry in a few more years withno vilations I might consider you but not now.