ALS jobs

A2rod2

Forum Ride Along
Could anybody share their knowledge of private ambulance companies that run medics 911? So cal area. Thanks

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Could anybody share their knowledge of private ambulance companies that run medics 911? So cal area. Thanks

What would you like to know?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
AMR, Morongo Basin Ambulance, Cole-Schafer, Doctors Ambulance (I believe), and rural-metro are the only ones that I know of off the top of my head.

jon51

Forum Crew Member
Not sure if this is completely accurate...

San Diego County- AMR, Rural metro
Orange County- ALS 911 is only done by fire depts
San Bernardino-Morongo Basin, AMR, Desert, Baker EMS
Riverside County-AMR
LA County-ALS is mostly done by fire departments, if ALS privates are responding to 911 they are usually functioning as BLS unless the have a backup contract
Imperial County- not too sure about this county but last I remember
West shore, Gold Cross, Blythe ambulance
Ventura-lifeline, AMR, Gold Coast

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief

Riverside County-AMR
LA County-ALS is mostly done by fire departments, if ALS privates are responding to 911 they are usually functioning as BLS unless the have a backup contract

That's very accurate actually

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver

Riverside County-AMR

Yup, not to be nitpicky ;-), but Blythe is in Riverside County, now owned by AMR

jon51

Forum Crew Member
TRSpeed and JGmedic, Do either of you know anything about Morongo Basin ambulance?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
TRSpeed and JGmedic, Do either of you know anything about Morongo Basin ambulance?

Small company. Good pay. 24 hour shifts. You are in a station with another crew so you alternate calls. I believe they run Medic/Basic rigs. They are up in the Morongo valley/Joshua tree/29 palms area. They are now starting to do BLS transports (I've seen a couple of flyers about it). I believe most of their ambulances are type 3s with a couple of type 2s. Ambulances always look clean. They cover some offroading events at Johnson Valley.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Yup, not to be nitpicky ;-), but Blythe is in Riverside County, now owned by AMR

Right but ya amr now.

sure
Small company. Good pay. 24 hour shifts. You are in a station with another crew so you alternate calls. I believe they run Medic/Basic rigs. They are up in the Morongo valley/Joshua tree/29 palms area. They are now starting to do BLS transports (I've seen a couple of flyers about it). I believe most of their ambulances are type 3s with a couple of type 2s. Ambulances always look clean. They cover some offroading events at Johnson Valley.

I know acouple people that work/worked there and I believe they payed pretty low for EMTs like 8or 9. They get some pretty good calls. They mainly run type 3 rigs. They got some really nice new Chevys like CARE new units.

They all got there each room with TV and cable :)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Definitely very low turn over.

Yep. Once EMTs and medics get on out there they don't want to leave. You don't do SSM so you have a crew quarters with another crew. It's a non-profit company so they use up all the money on keeping the rigs pretty. And at least from what I have heard the pay is really good for an ambulance company.

It's not an extremely busy system so you have downtime to sleep, read, watch TV, clean the ambulance really well, or do whatever you fancy.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yeah. They have a reserve program. It's fully volunteer. I forgot how many hours they want you to work per week or month.

yanikemt

Forum Crew Member
I think it was a minimum of 24 a months. Oh FF.. EVOC...most boring two days of my life. you and frspeed weren't kidding..

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I think it was a minimum of 24 a months. Oh FF.. EVOC...most boring two days of my life. you and frspeed weren't kidding..

The second day is a little better because you actually get to drive the ambulance but the first day is horrible.

jon51

Forum Crew Member
Thanks guys for all the good info. I also saw that post about reserving and got a little curious. I had a friend who did a medic internship there and said it was very laid back and would be a great place to work while going to school. I didn't know it was so difficult to get a job there. I guess chances are better with AMR rancho or riverside.