ALS intercept services

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Aside from DE, Eastern CT and NJ, im looking for a list of ALS intercept only services. Specifically services that ONLY offer ALS delivered in a non transport vehicle, not a service that has medics in a regular ambulance that also occasionally responds out of area on intercepts.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Hmm, I hear there are a few lovely departments in sunny California that should be right up your alley...;)

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hahaha.
image.jpg

I'm not looking for a new job... Just curious to compare response models, vehicles, equipment load out and protocols.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
KMG 365 ;)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I wouldn't consider those an ALS intercept because they respond to all calls haha

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
Emerson Paramedics. They're technically part of a private EMS company but they have an agreement to staff medics/equip/training on the non transporting intercept truck. They're the primary ALS for the 10 or so surrounding towns

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
The few I know off the top of my head:

Lowell General Hospital Paramedics - Lowell, MA
Lawrence General Hospital Paramedics - Lawrence, MA
Worcester EMS (UMass Memorial) has a chase car in Shrewsbury outside of Worcester
Chester County Hospital Paramedics (Medic 91) - Chester County, PA
Southern Chester County EMS (Medic 94) - Chester County, PA
Brandywine Hospital EMS (Medic 93) - Chestery County, PA
Hanover Hospital Paramedics - Adams County, PA

There are still some in Delaware County, PA, but they're dying off since all the towns want their own medics.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I was under the impression that Lawrence General was now staffing ambulances, do they still have chase cars?

Also in Massachusetts is Metrowest Paramedics, which is an intercept truck staffed by AMR and provides ALS for three or four BLS fire departments.

It's fairly common in New England:
Exeter Hospital in southern NH provides ALS for their area. Paramedics also work in the ED I believe.
Frisbie Hospital in NH also does the same thing though they use ambulances to cover their area. BLS fire still transports there as well.
Weeks Medical Center in Lancaster NH.
Little Regional Hospital in Littleton NH.
CALEX in the St. Johnsbury VT area does a chase car for the surrounding area and transport in town.
Middlebury VT area by Middlebury ambulance does a chase car for the surrounding area and transport in town.

There are lot's of touristy towns in New England that have EMS provided by "volunteer" ambulances but with a paid paramedic in an SUV as backup. I guess you could call that intercept? Martha's Vineyard is like that and so is Stowe, VT.

It is not common in Colorado. Upper Pine River Fire outside of Durango is the only one I know. Most of the state is covered by transporting ALS ambulance districts with BLS fire first response.

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
In NY, Monroe County utilizes "Southeast Quadrant" and "Northeast Quadrant" ALS intercept cars (essentially a public trust service) and the Finger Lakes Regional Health System recently established their "Medic 55" program, based out of their hospitals, to provide ALS intercepts to some of the more remote and underserved volunteer ambulances in the area.

fyrfyter

Forum Probie
I work for a Fire based EMS agency that runs ALS intercepts. We run with 1 medic and a Tahoe with our equipment to the scene to assist other BLS ambulances. We then asses the patient deem it ALS or BLS. If ALS typically another EMT is in the patient compartment and a driver. Another provider will follow the ambulance to the hospital. If you have any question about our billing an such let me know.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Emerson Paramedics. They're technically part of a private EMS company but they have an agreement to staff medics/equip/training on the non transporting intercept truck. They're the primary ALS for the 10 or so surrounding towns
Does Pro EMS still provide the medics or that?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yes, they do. Pro seems to be a pretty good company as well.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I do. I had Rachel and I think Scott or Shawn or something like that.... It was a few years ago.

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
Think I know both providers, both were great medics. Neither work here anymore, one had a kid the other a flight gig. Either way small world

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
That it is.
They were pretty great. Have a a least one call with each I will remember for the rest o my life.
They were quite surprised to have a Canadian ride with them. To make a small world smaller... My wife is from Lynn.

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
That's awesome. Cambridge is its own weird city right outside the city. You really have no idea what calls you could have.