All equipment on every job?

CAR1

Forum Probie
Reaction score
For instance if dispatch tells you minor trauma, do you bring O2/AED? or for a

Diff breather Do you bring trauma? My personal opinion is bring everything on

every job, you never know what you gonna get.

Personal story: was dispatched for diff breather U/A I ask crew chief what to

bring up he tells me just O2. i ask him you sure no AED? He says no, O2 is fine.

we get up there and it's an arrest, luckily als walked in right behind us. at the

end of the run he told me I was right.:rolleyes:

Yup, even if it wasn't policy I would still do it. We've got an all-in-one sort of house bag so it's not that hard anyway. The AED is not cumbersome either, one person can carry both if needed.

Ya just put everything on the stryker including the scoop stretcher.

Yerp. Zoll E series which isn't exactly my favorite. Our first in bad is a mix of everything from bleeding to airway...also toss on the drug and IV kits. We also have a ped bag for those types of calls and a king airway bag which could also be tossed on.

Depends on the call and scene. I'm probably not jumping out the back with the AED for a sports injury. It also depends how far the pt is from where the rig was parked.

When a PT and their family is scared and confused, you walking in looking an acting like a professional can have a huge effect on the situation. Walk in, act calm and confident, carry a bunch of clean, well organized bags and have everything you need. Walking in with a clipboard and running back and forth to the rig for equipment is only going to degrade the situation.

Depends on the call and scene. I'm probably not jumping out the back with the AED for a sports injury. It also depends how far the pt is from where the rig was parked.

When a PT and their family is scared and confused, you walking in looking an acting like a professional can have a huge effect on the situation. Walk in, act calm and confident, carry a bunch of clean, well organized bags and have everything you need. Walking in with a clipboard and running back and forth to the rig for equipment is only going to degrade the situation.[/QUOT
I agree with you 100% if it's a sporting injury and i can pull up right by the

patient than only the trauma is coming out, however i'm talking about when

dispatch says laceration to the hand and it's on the third floor in a multiple

dwelling, I take everything I might need (O2 and AED included).

Yeah, we have an SOP that spells out what we bring to each call. Our bare minimum is the LifePak and our "primary ALS bag", which has everything you may need for the first 10 minutes or so.

We also have a secondary ALS bag that follows. On confirmed CPR, we also bring a LUCAS (which has a vent in it), the hypothermia cooler comes and we bring a suction unit.

I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

What I bring is entirely dependent on call type and distance from vehicle.

For many calls I will bring in just my monitor and symptom relief pouch.

Oxygen is in the same bag as CPAP, BVM and basic airways. It comes if call info indicates SOB, CP or other details where O2 may be required. Majority of calls get monitor and O2 bag.

Our backpack holds suction, airway kit, IV kit, ALS drugs and comes in for potentially critical patients or large distance from vehicle (apartment buildings). This comes out rarely.

everything? ehhhhh.

oxygen and BLS bag go on every inside job.

I'm not going to being an AED on a trauma call. Oxygen and BLS bag yes. Maybe suction too if they are unresponsive. board and collar too. But studies have shown that an AED (and a monitor in general) won't help on a major trauma, even if it is a trauma arrest.

on a medical call, oxygen and bls bag, plus a stairchair. if they are reportedly unresponsive, replace the stairchair with a Reeves.

I did get called for a BLS unknown call at the senior apartment building, 5th floor several years ago. brought our oxygen bag and BLS bag. We arrived there and found it to be a cardiac arrest. I had to run down 5 flights of stairs, out to the truck, grabbed our defib and suction, and run back up the stairs to assist my partner in CPR. So now on every senior call the suction and defib come in on the cot.

I do have coworkers who will bring the defib on every call, from a cut finger to a baby with a fever.

Yeah, we have an SOP that spells out what we bring to each call. Our bare minimum is the LifePak and our "primary ALS bag", which has everything you may need for the first 10 minutes or so.

We also have a secondary ALS bag that follows. On confirmed CPR, we also bring a LUCAS (which has a vent in it), the hypothermia cooler comes and we bring a suction unit.

with all that crap soon you will need a third guy just to carry gear.

Amen. That's why I love having fire respond as BLS. They make excellent Sherpas.

"Hey! You in the firehat! Go out to my truck and grab the Lucas!"

Got sent to a fall, found a dead guy in bed. Did not have monitor, happily fire did. Now working BLS, AED comes in every time. Just cause it got dispatched a trauma doesn't mean a) it will be or b) it will be a traumatic arrest if it turns out to be an arrest.

Fanny pack for half eaten sandwich. :rolleyes:

Depends on the system I work in.

When I work my ALS IFT job, on emergency medical calls, we bring the O2airways bag, an ALS meds bag and a likepak 12 plus a stretcher or stairchair.

When i work a BLS 911 truck, cops and a medic flycar are simultaneously dispatched. The cops tend to beat us to a scene and update us. They are pretty good about informing us of a code or alerting us to unconscious patients. We will only bring the AED in if the medics are not there as they will have their monitor. We will bring in the Or bag and a stair chair or cot as needed.

I typically will just toss my airway kit, med bag, and monitor on the gurney, and take that in. However, depending on the call I'll put the suction unit on there as well. A lot of my coworkers think I'm overly cautious, and I may be, but I've found that I can't rely on our dispatch info to be accurate the majority of the time.

Depends on the call.

If it is something like a toothache or mental health, just our response kit which has all our drugs, dressing, Pulse ox, BP cugg, Temp, BSL kit, IVs etc

Anything more usually the response kit + Lifepak 12

Any DIB, serious sounding chest pain, ALOC oxygen comes too.

Keeping in mind our protocols have changed and we barely give oxygen at all now.

I bet we can all tell stories of not bringing gear in and being caught out.

Going deep or long i.e nursing home or highrise? bring everything on the stretcher.

Mycrofft's Laws of Leaving-Behind:

1. Murphy had it right, if you leave it behind you will need it, and badly.
2. The pt who needs EVERYTHING is the one least able to wait for you to run back for something.
A. The pt who needs EVERYTHING is also the least likely to survive no matter what you bring OR go back for. (The Paradox of "EVERYTHING")
a. Unless you always "need" everything because you are inexperienced enough to always exaggerate acuity.
3. Remember when it comes to taking stuff in, you have to bring it back out, plus the pt, and the equipment is deployed (i.e., the IV is stuck and hung, rather than packed in the nice little box). Double for emergencies you have to hike downhill to, or climb ladders.
4. If you don't carry it in your unit you can't leave it behind. Hint hint.
5. Negro Puppy's Corollary to Rule 3: if you need to cover the litter with equipment, how will you get it back out to the unit?
:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
5. Negro Puppy's Corollary to Rule 3: if you need to cover the litter with equipment, how will you get it back out to the unit?
:cool:

Hopefully If the patient is sitting up we can fit 2 bags on the back of the stryker, then hopefully we have a 3rd officer/ student observer to carry the other :P or sling it on my back.

Its really just a judegment call, using the dispatch, the location itself, how many in your crew and access/egress issues.

I think part of our problem is we tend to fill our bags with crap "just in case" or "as spapres or as spars incase we use the spares" instead of carrying what we actually need.

Its amazing how easy it is to carry "everything" in when you dont have "everything + the extra :censored::censored::censored::censored: i think i need but dont use"

IPersonallay i take everything, ALS bag with the drug sleeve, the MRX and the oxygen bag, either on the stretcher or by hand

Back