Albuquerque Ambulance Recruiting Mail

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
A few days ago I received a postcard/mailer from Albuquerque Ambulance inviting me to move to ABQ and work as a medic in their service. The postcard offered a $10,000 singing bonus, plus up to $5,000 in relocation expenses.

It sounds like a pretty nice deal...but it makes me very scared that they have to offer so much money as an incentive to come work for them. I'd be interested to hear what their system is like, how their protocols are, how management is, etc. I don't even live in NM, which makes me even more skeptical because they have to recruit out of state. Does anyone have info on why they have to recruit like this?

Edit: Postcard was initially mailed to my old address in Phoenix, AZ. The mail was then forwarded to my current address in the midwest.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
They keep burning their crews out. I'll elaborate more when I get to a computer both on that and general info about them

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ok now that I'm at a computer...
AAS runs in a two tier system. The first tier is an ALS, transport-capable (but one that hates transporting) FD system (county and city). They are an ALS, transporting, service. But if the FF/Medic wants to ride in, all they are is a taxi, as the fire medic must surrender control of patient to the trnasport medics if fire is on scene first. Protocols are decent, pay is 16.70/hr starting for new medics. PPP has the BernCo protocols, so does the BernCo Fire Dept site.
The problem... They usually average 14-15 transports per 13 hour shift. Each usually being 80% inebriates. They are horribly short staffed, as medics are leaving in droves. They also will not consider some of us locals if we have worked for competitors. The company has also been for sale for about 6 years. It is owned by Presbyterian Hospital System, as a non-profit agency.
The good.... Almost unlimited OT. Decent protocols, great equipment. They run a CCT truck that is staffed by 2 critical care paramedics of some sort (FP-C, CCP-C, UMBC CCEMTP, etc). And lower levels can practice to full allowable scope, so the medic does not have to take EVERY call. From what I understand, benefits aren't too bad.

OP
OP
wanderingmedic

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
@TransportJockey thanks for the info. Benefits looked great from what they sent me. Holy crap, I can't even imagine 14-15 transports per shift. That would be death. Is their service area pretty urban, or do they serve some rural areas too? How are transport times? I imagine if they are doing 14-15 transports per shift transport time must be pretty short.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
@TransportJockey thanks for the info. Benefits looked great from what they sent me. Holy crap, I can't even imagine 14-15 transports per shift. That would be death. Is their service area pretty urban, or do they serve some rural areas too? How are transport times? I imagine if they are doing 14-15 transports per shift transport time must be pretty short.
There are nine or ten hospitals in the greater metro, most transports are under fifteen minutes, but there are some outlying areas that have longer times.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I think I would be happier in a more rural setting.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I think I would be happier in a more rural setting.
I know I am. The only reason I've applied there is so I can stop my 12 hour round trip commute... I only have three months to deal with before I hit my magic three years

RocketMedic

Three years of blacklist?

MrJones

Iconoclast
A few days ago I received a postcard/mailer from Albuquerque Ambulance inviting me to move to ABQ and work as a medic in their service. The postcard offered a $10,000 singing bonus, plus up to $5,000 in relocation expenses....

Do you get to pick the song, or do they? ;)

JDub

Forum Lieutenant
AAS runs in a two tier system. The first tier is an ALS, transport-capable (but one that hates transporting) FD system (county and city). They are an ALS, transporting, service. But if the FF/Medic wants to ride in, all they are is a taxi, as the fire medic must surrender control of patient to the trnasport medics if fire is on scene first.

I am considering applying to AAS and this statement confused me. So is what you are saying that AFD gets dispatched to every call and then if they don't want to transport then AAS will be dispatched? Or are both dispatched at the same time? Is there any cases where only AAS would dispatched?

You say that if the FF/Medic wants to ride in he must surrender control to the transport medics if the FD was on scene first. If they want to ride in why wouldn't the FD just transport first if they that capability?

Does the FD cherry pick calls only transporting the good calls and shipping the BS with AAS or do they realy not like transporting anything?

RocketMedic

I am considering applying to AAS and this statement confused me. So is what you are saying that AFD gets dispatched to every call and then if they don't want to transport then AAS will be dispatched? Or are both dispatched at the same time? Is there any cases where only AAS would dispatched?

You say that if the FF/Medic wants to ride in he must surrender control to the transport medics if the FD was on scene first. If they want to ride in why wouldn't the FD just transport first if they that capability?

Does the FD cherry pick calls only transporting the good calls and shipping the BS with AAS or do they realy not like transporting anything?

Yes. That's pretty much their system.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

They are both dispatched simultaneously. As for what calls bus is dispatched on that fire is not, I'm not sure. I know some public assist calls, fire is dispatched solo.
And fire only transports, officially, if its a critical patient with prolonged eta from AAS, a city employee, or a mass casualty event. Afd staffs their rescues with two medics for the time being and most other apparatus has at least one other medic on it.
If fire doesn't want to surrender care of the patient then they can ride in with bus. They are not required to turn over care if fire arrives on scene first.

RocketMedic

That makes me less interested in AAS than I was.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That makes me less interested in AAS than I was.
I've got friends that are happy there. I pissed off their higher ups when I was a sup at AMR, so I can't get on with them to find out. I'd rather go work for DG...
BTW we need a medic or two in Pecos lol

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
How much experience is required? I'd apply in a heart beat
They'll take baby medics with no problem. You should apply

RocketMedic

I could certainly deal with Pecos. Acadian is...not what I wanted. Can you pm me?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief