Airways for EMTs

NBFFD2433

Forum Crew Member
In your guys states do the allow advanced airways such as King LT and Combitude. They don't in NC.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Supraglottic airways as a whole are allowed for BLS providers in the state of NM.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Just NPA and OPA for the majority of CA.

Just NPA and OPA for the majority of CA.

NPA and OPA here in SD County, unless you are part of the Petco Park team and then, under their medical director, you are able to use king airways.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Arizona allows for King's. I'm sure Combitubes also, but no one at all uses them.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
PA its NPA or OPA only.

Rescue Airways can be used by ALS providers, however usually they are used after intubation attempts are unsuccessful.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
NPA, OPA, King, Combi, LMA in GA. Basically any BIAD.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
In your guys states do the allow advanced airways such as King LT and Combitude. They don't in NC.

Just to clear up any confusion about North Carolina and airways:

EMR's and higher may place OPA's and NPA's.

EMT's and higher may place KingLT's and Combitubes (or any equivalent BIAD approved by their medical director). The only restriction is the patient must basically be in cardiac arrest.

(we place King's as EMT's on my industrial fire brigade...)

MedicOfReddit

Forum Probie
In Chicago, Illinois EMT-B's can place king LT airways on cardiac arrest patients specifically.

Last I heard was that the Combitube was being replaced fully by King LT airway. (source was one of my instructors for my EMT class)

EMT856

Forum Probie
Its sort of stupid not to give EMTs King airways or LMAs. They are (almost) idiot proof.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Its sort of stupid not to give EMTs King airways or LMAs. They are (almost) idiot proof.

Almost. EMTs should concentrate more on becoming proficient with a BVM before worrying about what new skills and toys they think they deserve.