Air in Lines?

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been doing a lot of self-study and research, prepping for my EMT training, and lately I've been studying IV's. One thing I've noticed in watching different videos online is that some people leave quite a significant amount of air in the line that ends up going right into the patient's vein.

I'm sorry, that just really freaks me out. I have visions of strokes and heart attacks. Is it not something to be concerned with? How much work do you put into removing any bubbles before connecting the line?

dastri

Forum Probie
I belive more air is required than in a line. I think it was like 30cc if air was needed to be aconsiderable risk. Could be wrong though. It is,still allways best to bleed out the,excess air.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
While the standard is zero bubbles in the line, the reality is that a few small bubbles will have no adverse effect. You would basically have to prime a line while it's attached to a patient to come close to the amount of air that will cause problems. I will not attach an unprimed line to a patient, so that really is not an issue, at least for me. If you're really worried about having bubbles in the line, prime the line and use a syringe to remove any bubbles that remain at Y-sites.

EMT John

Forum Crew Member
I've read cases as low as 20ml being injected that killed them and as high as 300ml that survived so it's possible... I flush my lines well but I'm not going to spend 10min trying to flick every bubble out of the line.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've read cases as low as 20ml being injected that killed them and as high as 300ml that survived so it's possible... I flush my lines well but I'm not going to spend 10min trying to flick every bubble out of the line.
Quite frankly, neither would I. I'd just prime the line and go because those small remaining bubbles will not be an issue.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Same here, although I do make an effort to remove any air bubbles larger than a quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
There is also a difference between air in a line in a vein and air in an artery I believe. I think and I could be wrong a lot of the hype of air in the line comes from tv shows showing people being offed by someone sticking a needle in their neck and injecting them with air to kill them. I was also at one time under the impression that the slightest amount of air in your blood system would kill you but that's apparently not the case.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Just make sure if you use a pump that it will not cause it to shut down and alarm.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Just make sure if you use a pump that it will not cause it to shut down and alarm.
Every pump I have ever used have been really horrible about bubbles and really complain about them. So... I just make sure that there are zero bubbles in or above the cartridge or wherever the pump and tubing interface. Problem solved on that end...

Dwindlin

Forum Captain
Most IV tubing sets are 20-30mL. To cause a clinically relevant air embolism would almost take the entire length of the tubing.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I've been doing a lot of self-study and research, prepping for my EMT training, and lately I've been studying IV's. One thing I've noticed in watching different videos online is that some people leave quite a significant amount of air in the line that ends up going right into the patient's vein.

I'm sorry, that just really freaks me out. I have visions of strokes and heart attacks. Is it not something to be concerned with? How much work do you put into removing any bubbles before connecting the line?

Many sources state you need 5cc/kg of air before any issue is to occur. I've even seen some places go as high as 20cc/kg.

On a 150lb adult, that's at minimum, 380cc and up to 1360cc. If you're infusing more than a can of soda in to a patient of nothing but air, you have issues. Little bubbles are nothing. And the more peripheral you are, the less risk.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I doubt we can have a good solid figure on a fatal air embolism due to:
1. Individual idiosyncrasies and differences in age/wt/height/etc.
2. Lack of actual (ethical) research. Bet the Nazis tried it out.
3. Anecdotes will usually contain some degree of mistakes or untruth as most stories do which may have bearing on a death on one's watch or one's territory.

How exactly would an air embolus kill? Does the circulatory system get "vapor lock"? Why wouldn't the following fluid just push it along until it is absorbed or returned to the heart where it would be churned and dissipated? Does a bubble trigger clotting?

EDIT: I googled it, here's a really good article, mostly about venous air embolism, but also touched upon arterial:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/761367-overview

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I don't worry too much over mictobubbles but to the OP here is a buublefree way to flood a line,

Hang the bag
Pull out tubing and push the flow-regulater-clampy thing up to the chamber and roll it to closed position
Spike the bag
Flood chamber about 1/3
roll the clamp to wide open
finé

hawkinstyler

Forum Ride Along
I was always taught that as well, (that it would take at least the entire length of tubing unprimed) in order to cause an air embolism. Yet undoubtedly, it's better to err on the side of caution as with anything else. It's certainly not difficult to flush the tubing so I always flush it out well. There will always be a negligible amount of air trapped in there, but nothing to be concerned about in my opinion. Basically, don't prime the line directly into the patient, flush it, and you're good to go.

Sasha

Forum Chief
It's too time consuming to sit there and flick out every bubble. A few bubbles aren't going to hurt the patient.

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
As long as you prime the line per the instructions on the package with good technique..... you will minimize all that stuff.

EMT John

Forum Crew Member
As long as you prime the line per the instructions on the package with good technique..... you will minimize all that stuff.

Instructions? Who needs stinking instructions!!!

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain