AHSI the new player in Healthcare training

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I ran across this when a new applicant applied had a AHSI (American Health and Safety Institute) BLS Healthcare provider CPR. I checked out their site which initially appears as they are aiming more for the Industrial Layperson until I gather deeper which they offer PALS,ACLS, BLS and Bloodborne Pathogens.

From the site:

ASHI CPR, AED, and first aid training programs are ideal for Instructors with emergency medical or other healthcare expertise. And we meet all requirements for CECBEMS-accredited professional responder training with our CPR Pro, ACLS, and PALS programs.

ASHI's resuscitation programs conform to national standards and are based on the same scientific guidelines and treatment recommendations found in the 2010 International Consensus on Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Emergency Cardiovascular Care (ECC) Science with Treatment Recommendations (CoSTR), the same as those used by the American Heart Association (AHA) and American Red Cross (ARC) for course development. All professional resuscitation programs meet the requirements of the Joint Commission and the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Services.

Anyone recognize them as a Professional Certification for the professional rescuer? I seen a few of our local agencies have become "official training sites"

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
A big no in San Mateo County

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
We use ASHI for our in house certs. MASSIVELY easier to deal with than AHA. However there's still a strong bias against them in many markets.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
ASHI is the ones who do our certifications in hospital that I work at

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Resistance is futile. AHA has such a political entity and has so many financial ties to everything they do. Example - Amio vs. Lido.
Surely, this ASHI bug with be squashed quickly. IMHO anyways.

In other news, I have never heard of them, nor seen that name on any applications ever. "Are you ACLS ASHI certified?" Um, NO. AHA is the most common.

Resistance is futile. AHA has such a political entity and has so many financial ties to everything they do. Example - Amio vs. Lido.
Surely, this ASHI bug with be squashed quickly. IMHO anyways.

In other news, I have never heard of them, nor seen that name on any applications ever. "Are you ACLS ASHI certified?" Um, NO. AHA is the most common.

We still have Lido and Administer Epi during each CPR cycle in ICEMA.....the AHA hasn't snuck up on us here yet.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
The local FD's and LE use ASHI almost exclusively. ARC has priced themselves out mostly, and the departments can get their own "training center". One of my certs is through ASHI.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Is this an only in CA thing?

Brevi

Forum Crew Member
ASHI has been in the game since the late 70's. They are a legitimate training provider, they just aren't quite the 'power house' AHA is. Some places will prefer AHA at times, and later prefer ASHI back and forth and so on.

Given the choice between the two, I'd take the AHA. ASHI teaches using the AHA's guidelines anyhow.

wowmulewow

Forum Probie
As an Instructor for multiple ARC, AHA, and ASHI courses, I by far prefer ASHI to the former. All three organizations utilize AHA/ECC guidelines ad update them simultaneously. The benefit ASHI has to the others is the course formatting allows the Instructor to "add" skills to the minimum that the standards require. ASHI also allows for courses to be more in depth an job specific, which from my experience is received by the students much better. ASHI costs are also on the better side of the spectrum when looking at costs. As for my state , and many other states and agencies, ASHI Certs are accepted synomously with AHA. ASHI has a section on their website where you can review what ASHI credentials are accepted by your state agencies, I can look them up for you if you like.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Given the choice between the two, I'd take the AHA. ASHI teaches using the AHA's guidelines anyhow.

Not to sound like a shill for ASHI....but they're not really AHA guidelines. They're ILCOR ECC guidelines....AHA has just been the major brand pushing them in the US for years.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
We use ASHI exclusively. The ease of use from the training center perspective is awesome. I teach ACLS and PALS 3 times a year, and CPR monthly.

The big hospital system nearby doesn't accept it though.

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
ASHI is fairly common in NJ and is used by both services I've been with for in-house certification.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Never even heard of them here. Only thing that is used is AHA

OP
OP
U

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
As an Instructor for multiple ARC, AHA, and ASHI courses, I by far prefer ASHI to the former. All three organizations utilize AHA/ECC guidelines ad update them simultaneously. The benefit ASHI has to the others is the course formatting allows the Instructor to "add" skills to the minimum that the standards require. ASHI also allows for courses to be more in depth an job specific, which from my experience is received by the students much better. ASHI costs are also on the better side of the spectrum when looking at costs. As for my state , and many other states and agencies, ASHI Certs are accepted synomously with AHA. ASHI has a section on their website where you can review what ASHI credentials are accepted by your state agencies, I can look them up for you if you like.

I am a AHA BLS instructor, and checked out their site, I think one big thing that makes AHA the powerhouse is the "brand name" in all reality all certifying agencies follow the same guidelines but if I bust out my AHA card you know what your looking at. vs. a ASHI card. AHA requires you to become an instructor through a aligned training center that's willing to accept instructors. where as AHSI you can become a independent instructor from what I gather. and become a training center much easier.

OP
OP
U

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
We still have Lido and Administer Epi during each CPR cycle in ICEMA.....the AHA hasn't snuck up on us here yet.

We have a choice Lido or Amio services are required one or the other some carry both.

Lido is cheaper, and a lot of the older medics prefer it. Amio is just easier to administer since its straightforward doses, vs. weight calculations.

wowmulewow

Forum Probie
I am a AHA BLS instructor, and checked out their site, I think one big thing that makes AHA the powerhouse is the "brand name" in all reality all certifying agencies follow the same guidelines but if I bust out my AHA card you know what your looking at. vs. a ASHI card. AHA requires you to become an instructor through a aligned training center that's willing to accept instructors. where as AHSI you can become a independent instructor from what I gather. and become a training center much easier.

You can become an independent training center if you wish. This is fairly easy for a business that only certifies at the lay responder level. If you wish to become a training center or instructor at the Provider level, you still are required to show proof of Instructor Certifiication and must have Liability Insurance, QA, and all the other fun stuff that is normal with all the organizations that do Provider level training and certification. AHA is the powerhouse and is preferred by most. What tends to set ASHI apart from the others is the price level of the courses. Other than that, it is just as stringent as ARC and AHA. Also, you can "start" your own training center through AHA rather than being added to an aligned center.