AGE Question!

emt1229

Forum Ride Along
Does anyone have any advice for a 19 year old starting his career in the ems field as an emt? I've worked on an ambulance through my local high school and was wondering if there was anything more i could do to put on an application to make myself stand out! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Does anyone have any advice for a 19 year old starting his career in the ems field as an emt? I've worked on an ambulance through my local high school and was wondering if there was anything more i could do to put on an application to make myself stand out! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Apply anywhere and everywhere. Give them 24/7/365 availability (you're 19, I'm 20, we both know we have less out of work responsibilities than a 28 year old, what else do you have to do besides work?).

Some places want their EMTs to be 21, find a place that doesn't have that requirement. They're out there, I swear.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Do community service...

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Go to university?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
At any rate, go to school, learn, and work... Good things come to those that earn it :)

TheGodfather

Forum Lieutenant
age is just a number. do your homework, know your stuff, and make yourself stand out. I was hired on private ems right after i turned 19, and was hired on my first full time fire department when I was late 20 (im now 22).

Last edited by a moderator:

Trezmaniandevil

Forum Probie
Get FF1

Man if I had to do it all over again I would get my fire fighter and get into some fire department. They have a larger union, decent benefits, and when you get older (50+) you would sure rather not be carrying Obese, psych patients down stairs. EMS is a great career and I still love it to this day but arthritis makes this job rougher every year.

Yes Get your paramedic.
yes get a degree.
Yes invest additionally in retirement funds privately

But look at services that have astructure to them to one day reach a management position.

Just my own advise