Advice for EMT-B Student

JesterEMS

Forum Probie
Hello,

I am a student taking a emt-b course. What do you suggest I do to study and how?

I'm new to emt life also.

TrueNorthMedic

Forum Crew Member
I would focus on learning to do through, complete patient assessments (this takes practice, not just reading in a text book) as well as practicing taking a good patient history. Also, the more you can study A&P, the better. There are a lot of good videos online if you get tired of just reading your text.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Study the material that's covered in your class.

Use flash cards, partners and a test prep service.

OP
OP
J

JesterEMS

Forum Probie
I've been memorizing the NREMT medical skill sheet and have been looking at doing the same for the trauma sheet. So I guess the best thing to do is study anatomy and understand the body first, right?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've been memorizing the NREMT medical skill sheet and have been looking at doing the same for the trauma sheet. So I guess the best thing to do is study anatomy and understand the body first, right?

Yes, but STUDY and KNOW the material covered in your class. Inside and out. Upside and down. Don't make it more difficult than it is. EMT basic is all rote memorization. You just need to learn it.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Yes, but STUDY and KNOW the material covered in your class. Inside and out. Upside and down. Don't make it more difficult than it is. EMT basic is all rote memorization. You just need to learn it.
I second what DEmedic is saying. STUDY YOUR MATERIALS. do your HW. complete your assigned readings before the topic is covered in class. accept constructive feedback. study your materials. read the book. actually touch your patient when practicing an assessment. pay attention in class, and don't text while the instructor is giving a lecture.

Christian York

Forum Ride Along
A few study tips, just like above read the chapter/section the day before highlight whats important or what you have more questions on. my class was alot of self motivated learning with class time being a quick overview with a touch on the high points of the chapter, then practicing the skills associated with the chapters/ treating the illnesses of the chapter. Pathophysiology and Anatomy and physiology are great to learn. While a lot of EMT-B is memorization it is good to learn why you do alot of what you do to.