advice about strength and height

Anjel

Forum Angel
Are you sure they said lift and carry. I'm 6'4" and I'm not sure I could lift and carry 125 pounds. I know I couldn't do it safely. I know some programs have high standards but that sounds more like how much you have to be able to drag in fire fighter academy.

My program had us be able to lift (with a partner) 175 pound patient on a stretcher. Which the stretcher it's self is 60 pounds.

I had an interview with a company and they said if they hire me they have me come in for a "lift test" where I need to be able to lift my half of a 250 pound patient.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I could see 2 people lifting a 250 pound guy on a back board but one person lifting 125 pounds sounds sounds like a bad idea. I'm sure your right they are probably talking about a two man(or woman) lift of a 250 pound patient. I didn't think about it long enough. If that's the case Taylor you shouldn't have a problem as abckidsmom said it's all about technique and mechanics. Just about everyone I work with is smaller than me and some are downright tiny but they can all handle it some no doubt better than I can.

taylorhoss1

Forum Probie
Well I spoke to the academic advisor and they said 125 by yourself and then 250 with a partner, I go to Collin College in mckinney tx, so i'm not sure if maybe the school is stricter or not. So i'm not sure if I should go to a different school for training or not

bigbaldguy

Wow I can just see myself staggering around in circles with a 125 pounds over my shoulder then falling over.

How far do u have to carry them? Do they actually make u carry a dummy that weighs this much? I wouldn't panic. The program I went to made it sound like it was going to be super hard core navy seal/ med school intensity type stuff and it turned out to be more like sit around eating donuts/ try not to fall asleep in class type stuff. Talk to the instructor directly if you can. I have a hard time understanding how they could hold everyone to that standard that's a lot of weight. Keep in mind that schools can't discriminate based on physical issues (within reason) and they have to work with you on these issues just like they would with someone who has a disability (again within reason). Now an individual employer (like a fire department) I could see holding you to a very high standard (and they should) but I'm pretty sure a school is going to have work with you on this. Get a little more info and let me know what they say I'll be interested to hear what you find out.

taylorhoss1

Forum Probie
alright, i'm going to try to find out more information. i'm not sure what i would be lifiting, when i talked to the director of the program and the academic advisor they didn't say what i would be lifiting. the only thing they told me was i just needed to lift that amount of weight. also when i read the application to get into the program, it said you must lift, carry, and balance 125 lbs. but i've been working out everyday and so far i can deadlift 100 lbs.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Lift and carry 125lbs is actually reasonable. If your on a two man/woman crew and you get a patient that weighs 250lbs and needs to be backboarded then you will be lifting and carrying the backboard to the gurney. And getting that exact call is highly likey if your first on scene. So TBH I think that's a good physical test for EMTs/Medics. As for your weight it's all about how you lift. Also strength but if your lifting wrong you might hurt yourself.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm 5' 7" maybe 5' 8" on a good day and 145lbs soaking wet and I have yet to run into a problem with lifting. You wanna talk about a sketchy lift, trying lifting a 200lb guy on a backboard into a rescue toboggan on a 40 degree icy slope without sliding down the hill with the gear, the patient and yourself...

Like many other people have said it's all about mechanics. Use your legs and not your back. Being small is no excuse to not be able to move weight.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

taylorhoss1

Forum Probie
It means the muscles that hold your torso upright when your extremities are loaded. You can work on your core through balance work, planks, pushups, L-sits, and ab work.

Here are a bunch of core exercises:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercise_demos.asp?exercise_type=core

Careful getting into the fitness thing! It will suck all the spare time out of your week!

Alright I'll look into those workouts, I get all my workouts from bodybuilding.com. Do you know good healthy diets? I don't need to lose weight I just need to gain weight and eat a lot heathier

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Alright I'll look into those workouts, I get all my workouts from bodybuilding.com. Do you know good healthy diets? I don't need to lose weight I just need to gain weight and eat a lot heathier

I get a lot of results through following weight watchers healthy guidelines and portion control. Americans just eat too much. Healthful breakfast changes everything through the day. Today I had steel cut oats cooked with egg whites and a bag of frozen mixed berries. 2 cups of oatmeal, 5 egg whites and a 16 oz bag of mixed berries was a delicious, filling breakfast for my whole family.

taylorhoss1

Forum Probie
I get a lot of results through following weight watchers healthy guidelines and portion control. Americans just eat too much. Healthful breakfast changes everything through the day. Today I had steel cut oats cooked with egg whites and a bag of frozen mixed berries. 2 cups of oatmeal, 5 egg whites and a 16 oz bag of mixed berries was a delicious, filling breakfast for my whole family.
Okay, thank you. I'll definitely look into that, I just need to be able to stop eating so much junk food lol

taylorhoss1

Forum Probie
Wow I can just see myself staggering around in circles with a 125 pounds over my shoulder then falling over.

How far do u have to carry them? Do they actually make u carry a dummy that weighs this much? I wouldn't panic. The program I went to made it sound like it was going to be super hard core navy seal/ med school intensity type stuff and it turned out to be more like sit around eating donuts/ try not to fall asleep in class type stuff. Talk to the instructor directly if you can. I have a hard time understanding how they could hold everyone to that standard that's a lot of weight. Keep in mind that schools can't discriminate based on physical issues (within reason) and they have to work with you on these issues just like they would with someone who has a disability (again within reason). Now an individual employer (like a fire department) I could see holding you to a very high standard (and they should) but I'm pretty sure a school is going to have work with you on this. Get a little more info and let me know what they say I'll be interested to hear what you find out.
I was finally able to speak to my academic advisor in person today, and I asked what I would be lifting. She called the director of the EMT program and the director said I could be carrying a dummy. So I'm guessing that the dummy by itself is 125 pounds. I'm applying for the EMT program this fall, so hopefully I can meet those weight requirements by the deadline.

bigbaldguy

You'll do fine :)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Being short is nice. You can stand in the back of the truck and not have to cock your head to one side. :)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Being short is nice. You can stand in the back of the truck and not have to cock your head to one side. :)

I love the fact that I can do that. No need to hunch over means no back pain. Only time I have to hunch over is getting in and out of the rig.

125lbs dummy..... Sounds like good old Rescue Randy.

mwmedic

Forum Ride Along
I'm 5'6" and 125lbs. AND I'm a girl. I have figured out ways around my "handicap" of being all of the above. Once you start flinging pts around for a while it gets easier. My favorite course of action is to get help whenever possible. That's not always possible but you adapt and overcome. I followed an ICU nurse that is an enormous man(6'8" and solid muscle from head to toe) on CPR chest compressions in-hospital on a 90lb woman and he had broken her sternum all the way around plus I had to grab the closest chair to stand on to reach the bed. ADAPT & OVERCOME. Big isn't always better!