Acls

Walter McCracken

Forum Probie
How many states have ACLS instruction on computers now? We just started it here in Georgia. Any thoughts on doing it this way?
Thanks guys!!!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We have been doing ACLS per computer program for about 10 years. Although, it has had its advantages, (no specific time, less stress, no more paying o.t. erc..) it also has a lot disadvantges as well. No individual attention, no real practice time, not able to ask questions etc..

I did an informal study of both. Definitely those with traditional class seemed to retain more. As well, those that initially took the computer version, felt that they had "learned or obtained " more in the lecture clasroom setting. Mainly contributing to able to ask questions and practice skills with others.

With AHA continue to "water" down courses, the standards has defiinitely has been diluted. I do believe in making courses "user friendly" and more acceptable. However; we have for the past few years been having poeple ACLS trained that have very poor knowledge in emergency cardiac care.

I do not have a problem for re-cert's. using the computer format but, I believe they should have to have had an traditional class to begin with, then every other cert.

Be safe,
R/R 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Funnyrunner1

Forum Probie
I think it's fine for re-cert but doesn't really give a first-timer the proper hands-on instruction.

medic723

Forum Ride Along
ACLS test studies

I am an ACLS instructor, the TC that I work for did a study on the ACLS anywhere software. There are two versions in hospital and pre hospital. They both have positive merits but, in the long run they mostly help keep skills tuned up and for recert not inital training.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
medic723 said:
I am an ACLS instructor, the TC that I work for did a study on the ACLS anywhere software. There are two versions in hospital and pre hospital. They both have positive merits but, in the long run they mostly help keep skills tuned up and for recert not inital training.

I loved the ACLS Anywhere on CD. I thought it was a lot of fun. I agree it is good for recert. We allow it every other time ( class, CD, class etc).

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
CGFD37 said:
does anyone know if ACLS is offered online in wisconsin?
ACLS Anywhere will get you an AHA Cert card... BUT... you need to take the practical test, too.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Is ACLS something an EMT-B can get, or is it a prerequisite to be an EMT-P?

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Not a prerequisite for Paramedic certification..............

No need for a basic to take it...............

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm... I think I was misunderstood, let me rephrase to clarify.

Is it a prerequisite that one must first be an EMT-P before one can take ACLS?

There may be no need for an EMT-B to take it, but what I'm trying to find out is if an EMT-B can take it. It's my intention to eventually become a Flight Paramedic. I'd like to know if I can take it whenever I want, or if I have to wait until I'm an EMT-P first. I want to take all the training I can get.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Anyone can take it, but not everyone can use the knowledge or skills gained in the class.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
ffemt8978, like usual, is correct.

As an EMT you can take the ACLS course, but that doesn't mean you can use those skills in the field.

Part of me wishes I would have taken it, but ohhh well.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
AHA prefers that you have cardiac training prior to attending ACLS. Since it is no longer a certification level, rather a education credit, not much creditability is placed on it anymore. Again, this class does NOT teach you how to do anything, rather it is designed to emphasize AHA standards and methods of emergency cardiac care.

Wanting to use it to "beef up" your credentials, I personally would believe this would be a waste of money & time. If you want to impress, to be a flight medic, then spend your money on education at a local univertsity or toward Paramedic school. Since ACLS only is good for 2 years, chances are it would had expired prior to getting out of school, as well most flight services require minimum of 5 years Paramedic experience. So you can see the logic...

Again, I highly suggest taking a course you can use and utilize now..

GOod luck,
R/r 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
MMiz said:
ffemt8978, like usual, is correct.

As an EMT you can take the ACLS course, but that doesn't mean you can use those skills in the field.

Part of me wishes I would have taken it, but ohhh well.
I've been told that you cannot take the class unless you are an RN/EMT-P/MD, etc...

same for instructors...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
That may be a local Training Center requirement, but for my TC we allow pretty much anyone to take it.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Around here anyone can take it. EMS Expo even has an ACLS for Basics course.

The communtiy colleges around here offer a semester-long ACLS for EMTs course too.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The formal requirement is that they have :"sucessfully completed Healthcare Providers BLS Course".. However; local instructors and TC can limit or exclude.
I personally, find it is usually a waste of time for those that have not completed education levels in cardiac. Since this is NOT A TEACHING CLASS.

Please remember that AHA ACLS and ALS /ACLS for basic level EMT are NOT the same. The ALS for Basic EMT's focuses on assisting the Paramedic, and some basic path as well as IV's etc, where as AHA ACLS is strictly their guidelines from the ECCC.

Again, AHA ACLS course is not geared at "teaching". It is only a course to inform healthcare providers, the recommended treatment regime according to ECCC and the AHA, guidelines. Sucessful completion of the course, ONLY means you have been taught those guidelines...nothing more !

That is why, I believe AHA ACLS requirements should be removed, from most Paramedic re-registration(s). The course is no longer a valid indicator of competance and skill level, as it used to be. The ACLS for Expereinced Provider, should be in place of it. This is similar to the "old ACLS" course, with requiring a knowledge of true emergency cardiac care.

R/r 911