A tremendous weight off my shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Today, I was fired for having the audacity to suggest that my employer wasn’t living up to their responsibilities to their employees during this little thing floating around out there. I should be worried about how I’m going to pay my rent next month. I should be worried about how I’m going to find a job during the highest unemployment since the Great Depression. I should be...I don’t know, caring?

Instead, I feel as if my doctor just told me I’m cancer free. My first thought when I hung up the phone wasn’t “Oh Poop”! It was relief that I don’t have to drag myself in to that place any more and pretend that I don’t work for the most unscrupulous flock of a holes ever to walk the face of the earth. I’m sure all that other stuff will cost me sleep in the coming days and weeks, but for right now, I’m actually happy.

My tiny little part time/call FD is prepared to pay lost wages from all verifiable sources of income if one of us gets sick no questions asked, and the legislature is going to make any COVID infection presumptive under 111F very soon. My nine figure commercial service stated that, if we get sick, we can file for Comp after our earned time runs out.

That job was making me so miserable, so viscerally unhappy with my life I‘ve lost nearly sixty pounds since September without so much as a pushup. The mere though of working there one more day literally made me physically ill. Today, I’m free. I may go bankrupt. I may end up living in my truck, but I’m free.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
No job is worth getting physically ill over. Hope you can make a fresh start.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Good luck, man. Hope you land back on your feet in a better place.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I hear New York is hiring!

Kidding, glad you stood up for yourself and that you feel relief. That sensation means you are better off.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
i hear if you file for unemployment, the state and federal combined will help you pay many of your bills.

No job is worth your health. if you are a paramedic, you still have the golden P ticket; i know plenty of agencies that are hiring.

If you are that miserable at your job, and you get fired over stupid stuff, than consider it a blessing; you get unemployment, you can work PT and still get unemployment, and no job is worth your health.

Congrats on being down 60 lbs.... I need to do that..... trying to get all the wrinkles out of my birthday suit.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I thought you worked for a pretty together company.

Good luck with the search. Paramedics can pretty much name their own price around here. Everyone is hiring. You won't be out for long.

OP
OP
hometownmedic5

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
I thought you worked for a pretty together company.

Good luck with the search. Paramedics can pretty much name their own price around here. Everyone is hiring. You won't be out for long.

That’s the public image, which they work very hard to fake and defend to the death; but it’s an illusion. That, more than any other reason, was why I had to go. I wouldn’t pretend anymore and I wouldn’t be quiet anymore. I wasn’t on facebook, the news, or standing on the sidewalk waving a flag. I mercilessly called them on their faults and lies, but I kept our dirty laundry in house and I still had to go.

Now I get to have fun with it.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
That’s the public image, which they work very hard to fake and defend to the death; but it’s an illusion. That, more than any other reason, was why I had to go. I wouldn’t pretend anymore and I wouldn’t be quiet anymore. I wasn’t on facebook, the news, or standing on the sidewalk waving a flag. I mercilessly called them on their faults and lies, but I kept our dirty laundry in house and I still had to go.

What company? Now that you’re free...

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent

Hope you're not considering retribution on social media. Going all "Death Wish" might not serve well in the long run...apologies if I misread.....

OP
OP
hometownmedic5

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
What company? Now that you’re free...

I won’t say just yet. I’m not particularly litigious normally, but it’s not off the table. If you asked Tigger, he’d be able to tell you; but it’s better if it doesn't come from me.

Hope you're not considering retribution on social media. Going all "Death Wish" might not serve well in the long run...apologies if I misread.....

I’m not. I was saying that, even in this day age of people putting *everything* on social media, I may have had grievances but I kept our secrets in house and they still couldn’t handle it.

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
I would out your ex employer on social media and job search sites that allow ratings of employers like Indeed to the greatest extent possible. It will be capured by search engines and stay with them like old luggage. As long as you are truthful, you are covered.

Best of luck to you. I predict you will end up with a better job.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I would out your ex employer on social media and job search sites that allow ratings of employers like Indeed to the greatest extent possible. It will be capured by search engines and stay with them like old luggage. As long as you are truthful, you are covered.

Best of luck to you. I predict you will end up with a better job.
It's not only the employer that gets to lug around that baggage, but the employee too. Would you hire a prospective employee that was willing to air dirty laundry on social media?

Over the years, this forum has had countless requests to remove these types of posts because they've come back to haunt the poster. As a reminder, we do not remove these types of posts.

THINK before you post, and make sure you understand and are willing to accept all the ramifications of your posting.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Before you write anything on social media or one of the sites that allow you to leave "reviews" of your former employer, remember that employers have a right to protect the reputation of their business. I know of an agency that successfully petitioned to have several "bad reviews" removed from a website and is currently engaged in a civil suit to recover damages from that ex-employee.

If your old agency is litigious, they probably have deeper pockets than you and can easily make your life hell for several years with legal headaches.

It's not worth it. Just move on and know that you're going to a better place.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I agree with the above 2 posts. With due respect, @Sled Driver that’s some pretty foolish advice.

Plus, it sounds like @hometownmedic5 already aired enough/ found some peace of mind.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
I won’t say just yet. I’m not particularly litigious normally, but it’s not off the table. If you asked Tigger, he’d be able to tell you; but it’s better if it doesn't come from me.

I’m not. I was saying that, even in this day age of people putting *everything* on social media, I may have had grievances but I kept our secrets in house and they still couldn’t handle it.

Well...this kind of thing seems to be going around.
download.jpg

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
I agree with the above 2 posts. With due respect, @Sled Driver that’s some pretty foolish advice.

Plus, it sounds like @hometownmedic5 already aired enough/ found some peace of mind.

Its only Libel, if its not true. His 1st. Amendment Rights to speak his mind and the truth should still be intact, even though he no longer works there. If anything, there may be a wrongful termination suit here. He has the right to review anyone he so chooses, unless he signed a contract to the contrary. As for Social Media, lots of people make accounts that don't have their real name on it. While your real name can be found out, that takes time, money and effort. If his agency is SO big that they will spend money on legal fees to make his life difficult, there are plenty of Lawyers who will take that case and go after them and their deep pockets. It doesn't sound like HTmedic keeping his secrets in house was appreciated by his employer since they showed their appreciation by terminating him, why continue to protect them and in doing so put others at risk ?

If I had a nickel for everytime someone threatened to sue me, I would be retired already.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Its only Libel, if its not true. His 1st. Amendment Rights to speak his mind and the truth should still be intact, even though he no longer works there. If anything, there may be a wrongful termination suit here. He has the right to review anyone he so chooses, unless he signed a contract to the contrary. As for Social Media, lots of people make accounts that don't have their real name on it. While your real name can be found out, that takes time, money and effort. If his agency is SO big that they will spend money on legal fees to make his life difficult, there are plenty of Lawyers who will take that case and go after them and their deep pockets. It doesn't sound like HTmedic keeping his secrets in house was appreciated by his employer since they showed their appreciation by terminating him, why continue to protect them and in doing so put others at risk ?

If I had a nickel for everytime someone threatened to sue me, I would be retired already.
The First Amendment only protects you from government restrictions on your speech. It does not protect you from the consequences of your speech by private parties or companies.

Keep in mind a lot of employers are including social media as part of their prehire background checks now. You have to ask yourself are you willing to accept the risk and consequences of your posts.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
The First Amendment only protects you from government restrictions on your speech. It does not protect you from the consequences of your speech by private parties or companies.

Keep in mind a lot of employers are including social media as part of their prehire background checks now. You have to ask yourself are you willing to accept the risk and consequences of your posts.
I agree with you.

Although, a background check on an anonymous poster on a forum with a sea of posts?

One can say what they need to say while maintaining anonymity if they choose their words carefully.

Achilles

Forum Moron
i hear if you file for unemployment, the state and federal combined will help you pay many of your bills.

No job is worth your health. if you are a paramedic, you still have the golden P ticket; i know plenty of agencies that are hiring.

If you are that miserable at your job, and you get fired over stupid stuff, than consider it a blessing; you get unemployment, you can work PT and still get unemployment, and no job is worth your health.

Congrats on being down 60 lbs.... I need to do that..... trying to get all the wrinkles out of my birthday suit.
Can’t file for unemployment if you got fired or quit

Achilles

Forum Moron

Boy if my potential employers ever knew how
Many tickets I’ve gotten on this forum, they’d never let me be an feo...

Status
Not open for further replies.