A Touch of Bad Luck

emtchic83

Forum Probie
So I decided that it is time to turn in my drivers license.... Since Friday I have been involved in 2 accidents, 1 my fault, 1 not my fault...

On Friday i was coming home from a 24 hour shift (with about 2 hours of sleep) and rear-ended someone on a major highway by my house... Of course, being the stubborn one that I am, I refused to go to the hospital, i swore i was fine... The next morning i couldnt move my neck with really bad pain, and my legs were all bruised from hitting the dash... So I ended up sitting in the ER all day just to be told that i had a bad case of whiplash.

Today was my first day back at school this semester and during my last class it started to snow.... So I leave, thinking the roads wont be to bad. Well, as I proceed to get off at my exit, the car behind me seemed to forget where his brake pedal was... When he finally FOUND it, he hit ice and slid right into my car.... So much for that whiplash getting better...

Now, I have always been told bad things come in 3's and I am at #2. All the guys at my firehouse are convinced that I will be the next good rescue, which makes me a LITTLE nervous about driving. I think it is in my best interests to become a hermit until winter is over, since both of these accidents happened on snowy/wet roads...

So now I am sore and miserable and not able to work for a couple weeks...

Just needed to vent, sorry for rambling.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that... At least you were not hurt worse. If you're timid about driving something WILL happen - go out there, be smart, be careful, and be aware. You'll be fine.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm really sorry to hear that, but at least you're not seriously hurt!

I was extremely nervous about driving the rig. Quite honestly it's really not that different than driving a real car, just bigger, and it takes longer to stop.

I hope your feeling a bit better, and good luck with this semester!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck....Rescuecpt said it right though, just be careful and keep an eye out, you'll be fine. :)

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Sorry to hear about the bad luck hope things get better.

I too hate to drive on the ice/snow covered roads and if it is really bad a generaly try to drive only as far as I have to If I really have to. I have been luck and safe so far and hope all stays that way. As I am on ther road to school for this semester 5 days a week and drive about 48 miles one way. Lots of time on the road.
So for all of us be safe and drive with care.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Take a deep breath... hold it for about 3-5 sec... let it out.
Simply put... relax... don't worry. Things happen. Everything will be fine if you believe it will be fine.

I enjoy driving in the snow/ice. I have been doing it for years now and, so far, nothing bad has happened. Just take your time, increase your following distance, and most of all... BE CAREFUL! That goes for all of you. I don't want to hear about any more of you guys being hurt.

EMTchick, take care of yourself. Don't try to pe brave and rush tourself through it; take your time on the road to recovery. I have been there. ('94, 3rd car in an MVA. Moderate whiplash, Fx scapula, moderate to sever lumbar muscle trauma. started High School in a neck brace, back brace, and a sling.) Take this in stride. All will work out.

OP
OP
E

emtchic83

Forum Probie
UPDATE: I woke up yesterday morning and could not turn my head... Turns out I sprained my SCM (or something like that), the doc said it is a muscle that goes from my sternum, over my shoulder and into my neck. So, needless to say, things definateyl arent getting better. I am out of work for at least 2 weeks, and I can't drive, since I can't turn my head to see.

I am starting to go stir crazy here... :angry:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Jan 21 2005, 09:58 PM
I enjoy driving in the snow/ice. I have been doing it for years now and, so far, nothing bad has happened.
You are SOOO jinxing yourself for this afternoon/evening

Jon

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
In case you haven't heard... we are in a blizzard right now. 7-8 inches so far. Boss is too cheap to buy chains for the trucks, so I am sliding all over the roads. I have gotten stuck 3 times in our parking lot, and am sure that that is not all. I am temporarily moving into the office so that we have personnel to man the trucks in the morning... even if that means that I play Taxi.

Wish me luck tonight.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
PA... be careful. Too many accidents involving emergency personnel lately.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Jan 22 2005, 06:42 PM
In case you haven't heard... we are in a blizzard right now. 7-8 inches so far. Boss is too cheap to buy chains for the trucks, so I am sliding all over the roads. I have gotten stuck 3 times in our parking lot, and am sure that that is not all. I am temporarily moving into the office so that we have personnel to man the trucks in the morning... even if that means that I play Taxi.

Wish me luck tonight.
my gosh, I'm still recovering. 8 calls in 6 hours over midnight, just for my crew.

all BS, but did get called to a nursing home for "PD onscene confirming fire in basement" by the time I was dressed and in the truck, we were recalled.

Half of me was dissapointed, because I was all "pumped up" for it, but most of me was very HAPPY we did not have to work that C.F. in this Weather.

PD aparently saw steam from burst pipe and was "onscene with smoke" Friggin' PD. It would have been nice to go to bed before 6am

Jon

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I can relate!! I used to drive 18 wheelers all over the US and Canada. I was stuck out in CA for a weekend and decided to rent a car and tour the coast. Had a lady pull out in front of me and I t-boned her at about 35mph. A week later out in Ohio I was driving at night, about 2 in the morning, in the freezing rain. Came around a corner on a four lane to find the roadway blocked across a bridge by 3 cars that had just wrecked. I had nowhere to go but into the guard rail and the car resting against it. I took out 150 feet of that guard rail and totalled the truck, trailer and the load I was hauling.My trailer ended up dangling over a 20 ft deep embankment. As I was able to see what was going to happen I tensed up for it and paid in pain and stiffness the next day. After that just driving my car was a tense moment as every vehicle I saw moving looked like it was going to hit me etc. Finnally a buddy of mine stopped by in his Big Rig and forced me to go on a run with him. Eventually I got over the nervousness.