A Rant

Ok so this is a little bit of a rant.

I've been doing this for almost three years now and in that admittedly short amount of time I've learned a few things. There's policy, common sense and then there are good partners.

The scenario goes as follows. We get finished running three calls back to back to back. We get back out in our area after stopping by another medic station for supplies and stopping by the fire station to pick something up. Upon leaving the fire station apparently I did not put my seat belt on right away, so five minutes down the road my partner reminds me, so I go to put my seat belt on and it will not go all the way (it does that depending on how you're or in this case how my partner is driving). So we get back to the station and I restock the truck, sign reports and what not, I come back in to find that my partner has written me up for failure to put my seat belt on. I would understand if I was getting a write up if it pertained to patient care (which has never happened), but this just seems nitpicky to me. Firstly we are out in the middle of no where, our supervisors don't even come out this far, they wait until we are posted at one of the closer fire or medic stations. Secondly, we are supposed to be partners. Feedback on how to deal with nitpicking partners would be greatly appreciated.

It seems to sort of go both ways. On one hand, as your partner, they should be taking it up with you personally, especially for something pretty small like that. However, by not having your seat belt on, you are endangering those riding with you because if there is a crash you will become a projectile that could injure other people.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok so this is a little bit of a rant.

I've been doing this for almost three years now and in that admittedly short amount of time I've learned a few things. There's policy, common sense and then there are good partners.

The scenario goes as follows. We get finished running three calls back to back to back. We get back out in our area after stopping by another medic station for supplies and stopping by the fire station to pick something up. Upon leaving the fire station apparently I did not put my seat belt on right away, so five minutes down the road my partner reminds me, so I go to put my seat belt on and it will not go all the way (it does that depending on how you're or in this case how my partner is driving). So we get back to the station and I restock the truck, sign reports and what not, I come back in to find that my partner has written me up for failure to put my seat belt on. I would understand if I was getting a write up if it pertained to patient care (which has never happened), but this just seems nitpicky to me. Firstly we are out in the middle of no where, our supervisors don't even come out this far, they wait until we are posted at one of the closer fire or medic stations. Secondly, we are supposed to be partners. Feedback on how to deal with nitpicking partners would be greatly appreciated.

Not having a seatbelt on with the vehicle in any gear other than Park is an offense typically handled by termination at our department.

If you're in the same vehicle and do not tell someone to put it on, you're suspended as well.

This is not being nitpicking.

MTEMTB

Forum Crew Member
I know what you are talking about not being able to get your belt fastened because it keeps locking on you while someone is driving. Been there!
Now that being said. One you should have looked at your partner and asked them to stop because you could not get your belt fastened.
Two writing you up because of it is over kill.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I know what you are talking about not being able to get your belt fastened because it keeps locking on you while someone is driving. Been there!
Now that being said. One you should have looked at your partner and asked them to stop because you could not get your belt fastened.

Not overkill if I can face disciplinary action as well for something they did. At a lot of companies that's the way it works.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

I don't understand this. Is this something added to the ambulances? I don't understand why the seat belt wouldn't work just because you are in drive.

MTEMTB

Forum Crew Member
Aidey try putting on your seat belt while driving over a bumpy road. It locks on you and you have to release it and try to pull it over yourself to click it. Does not matter if it is on an ambulance or POV.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Aidey try putting on your seat belt while driving over a bumpy road. It locks on you and you have to release it and try to pull it over yourself to click it. Does not matter if it is on an ambulance or POV.

True, but it should have never been an issue in the first place because the belt should have been fastened before the vehicle was put in drive.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Boom! Ffemt for the Internet win!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the captain speaking. The fasten seatbelt light will remain on indefinitely.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
True, but it should have never been an issue in the first place because the belt should have been fastened before the vehicle was put in drive.
I get in the truck, I'm going to put the seatbelt on. It's an ingrained habit. Get in, fasten the seatbelt and start the motor... I hardly realize I'm doing it, actually. Something would have to be wrong for me to forget to fasten the seatbelt. Seriously wrong. As a driver, I won't usually put the truck in "D" unless I know everybody else onboard has fastened their seatbelts. It's very simple, actually.

And if I'm going to face disciplinary action for something my partner does (or doesn't do), I'm going to remind you, then verbally challenge you and if that doesn't work, I'm going to do a write up on you. I need my paycheck more than I need a suspension or a termination for something you did.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

Seriously!? I.... That.... No. Just no. That is not an acceptable answer, period. If someone is so incompetent they can't figure out how to put on a seat belt while the vehicle is in motion, not only would I write them up, I would refuse to work with them again.

I don't have an appropriate word in my vocabulary to adequately describe how I feel about such a profoundly stupid excuse.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
This debate is becoming less and less amicable.

We can all agree that seat belts should be worn.
If you think not wearing it warrants immediate write ups or termination you are entitled to that belief. I believe that is excessive.

How about some corrective action or remediation? Mandatory sit in on another EVOC perhaps. Or a presentation on the on the effects of unrestrained debris flying around the passenger compartment of a vehicle on other passengers.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

How about pulling over and putting it on then?

MTEMTB

Forum Crew Member
Aidey I was just telling you how the belts lock up. Not making excuses. I have gotten my seat belt on going over bumpy roads. Takes timing but I get them on if the person driving does not wait for me to put it on.

I always put my seat belt on when in the ambulance whether in front or in back, and whether just going 2 blocks to the hospital or 40+ miles to the bigger hospital.

Also calling a person you do not know stupid shows a true lack of manners. I would not want to work with a person who has such a poor ability to just judge someone and verbally attack them such as you did me.
Stay safe.

MTEMTB

Forum Crew Member
How about pulling over and putting it on then?
That is what I brought up to the OP as to why they did not ask the driver to pull over. I just brought up the seat belt locking as an example as to possibly why the OP did not put theirs on and I am not making excuse for them.