A question about age........

greenfire

Forum Ride Along
What is the average age of an EMT or paramedic? I'm asking, because I am considering this career change, as opposed to nursing. What are your thoughts, etc?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
somewhere between 0 and 99.

emdub

Forum Probie
Hmm...around here we're between 21 and 33 I think...a couple older paramedics not older than 40 or 45 though.

I don't think age is a determining factor though, nursing and EMS is a completely different experience. It depends on what your passionate about. My roommate's a nursing student and I get bored with her work, whereas she thinks mine is too trying both physically and mentally for too little pay. Age hasn't ever been an issue.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
What is the average age of an EMT or paramedic? I'm asking, because I am considering this career change, as opposed to nursing. What are your thoughts, etc?

Career change from what? I'm curious.

I was in finance before coming over to EMS. Age 29. Never really felt "old" although perhaps too old for medical school.

Good luck!

1badassEMT-I

Forum Lieutenant

I was in finance before coming over to EMS. Age 29. Never really felt "old" although perhaps too old for medical school.

Good luck!

Dont Do it!.....just kidding I am curious too....I am 44 and still doing it....why .... I dont know!.....maybe I like the hours....NOT!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief

I don't think anyone will have the definitive answer on this. If you're wondering about the upper end of the age range, I've worked with a volunteer medic in his 80s -- not that most of us would be able to do that.

I'm 57 and got into EMS at 39.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I've seen 55 yo + medical students. I think that would take a lot of dedication, and money, because you know going in that you're not going to be practicing for very long.

As far as what I've seen as far as people actually practicing in the field...

Range: 18-55

Average: 21-35

OP
OP
G

greenfire

Forum Ride Along

Good luck!

Well, until recently I have been working in social services, as well as teaching SPED. I was working with CPS and AmeriPsych.

I drove a big truck for 5 years, as well as worked with ex lab primates and also as a governmental contractor, at Ft Huachuca. So I've done quite a few things.

I am interested in either nursing or Paramedic school, but I'm moving along in years...I'm 38, though it doesn't FEEL that old to me, I realize there are some professions that may be frowned upon, if you're climbing the old ladder of age....

Just a little worried about how my age will be a factor in getting hired, etc.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'm a new medic, just had my 40th birthday. Been hired as a per diem medic at TWO services.

I've had ZERO issue with my age.

OP
OP
G

greenfire

Forum Ride Along
I'm a new medic, just had my 40th birthday. Been hired as a per diem medic at TWO services.

I've had ZERO issue with my age.

You made my day. That's awesome news. Now...How about jobs in AZ? Do you, or anyone else know if there are many medic jobs, here? Any ideas where I could research this?

mnpics

Forum Ride Along
I'll be 42 in November and I am just getting started as a basic. So far my age hasn't been shown to be a problem.

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
If you have the means and educational background to go to nursing school, I would do that, pays a lot better than being a paramedic does and there are more job opportunitys.

EMS doesnt pay sh*t and the field is massively overcrowded. My CNA course was just 2 months, I got hired instantly after completing my class, at higher pay than many paramedics make, and RN's obviously make a lot more than I do. I just volunteer as an EMT for fun and to help out in the rural community I live in.

The age thing also would also point more towards nursing, you see a lot more nurses over 40 than paramedics. They are two different jobs though, so if you just have a hankering to work as a paramedic and not much interest in nursing, then do that, just understand financial hardship may ensue.

medic417

The Truth Provider
In most areas I would say you are better off becoming an RN. EMS is flooded with to many people plus tons of people doing it for free which really drives the wages down in EMS. Also if in a busy system it will take a toll on your back and knees much quicker than nursing will.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I went to medic school about 4 years ago and atleast 1/3 of my class or more where 30's+ changing careers. over half the class had bachelors degrees in other fields. If you want to be a Paramedic, be a Paramedic.... pay is different all over the U.S. around here medics start at close to $40,000 base salary on AMR with no experience. Fire based medics are starting 10-15k more.
If you want to be a nurse be a nurse, I know I DO NOT!

firemed17

Forum Crew Member
If you have the means and educational background to go to nursing school, I would do that, pays a lot better than being a paramedic does and there are more job opportunitys.

EMS doesnt pay sh*t and the field is massively overcrowded. My CNA course was just 2 months, I got hired instantly after completing my class, at higher pay than many paramedics make, and RN's obviously make a lot more than I do. I just volunteer as an EMT for fun and to help out in the rural community I live in.

The age thing also would also point more towards nursing, you see a lot more nurses over 40 than paramedics. They are two different jobs though, so if you just have a hankering to work as a paramedic and not much interest in nursing, then do that, just understand financial hardship may ensue.

Just wondering, what state do you live in and what is the pay rate around for an EMT-B or a Paramedic? I mean, the county I live in here in Florida pays more than well for an EMT-B, only 4 months of school. I'm curious to know if you dont mind what a CNA makes in your state, and also, an EMT-B and Paramedic. Im going to copy and paste the info of my countys salaries below:

****** County EMS/Fire offers shift specific work of 24 hours on and 48 hours off. Start time for each shift is 8:30 am.
SALARY:

Starting pay (based on experience) is as follows:

Part time EMT : $12.41 - $17.70 p/h (maximum 160 hours per 2 week pay period)
Full time EMT : $44, 525 - $65,478 annual

Paramedic I : $46,845 - $68,890 annual
Paramedic II (credentialed) : $49,187 - $72,334 annual
Paramedic Company Officer : $55,077 - $80,995 annual *

Paramedic/Firefighter I : $52,220 - $76,794 annual
Paramedic Firefighter II (credentialed) : $55,875 - $82,169 annual
Paramedic/Firefighter Company Officer : $72,615 - $106,787 annual *

* Minimum requirements for Company Officer positions include 3 years of credible service with either a career pre-hospital EMS system or fire department and testing.

Overtime rate of “time and one-half” paid on all hours worked over 40 per week.

firemed17

Forum Crew Member
Sorry for the double post... the salary range for a CNA down here is in the low 20k's to 30k max maybe.

Focallength

Forum Crew Member
Its funny from my experience new EMT's are split between 2 major groups with 1 small sub set. 18-21 and 30-40 are the 2 major groups then there are the odd 45-55's thrown in. Believe it or not most employers prefeer the later 2 groups, we tend to have maturity and life experience on our side. Face it wether you like it or not this job requires wisdom, just as much if not more than intellegence.

phideux

Forum Captain
I was an EMT 20+ years ago in New York. Did it for a few years. Over the past 20yrs I've been a Carpenter, a Cop, a Distribution manager at a newspaper, a gun salesman, a Bass Player, back to the newspaper as a machine technician. I am back as an EMT-I going through medic school. I'll be done with medic school just before I turn 50. I'm having a blast running for the local FD and the rescue squad. As long as you keep your body in shape to handle it. Age don't really matter.

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
Firemed.....I live in Michigan. EMT-B pay varies, but around 8.00 to 10.00 an hour im guessing. Paramedic im not as sure about, Ill guess around 16 an hour average starting pay, but I've heard of paramedics starting out at 12 an hour. The only paid service around here is private though. Fire based EMS can pay more.

CNA pay probably varies a lot, but there are a lot more jobs available. I was hired in at the medical facility I did my clinicals with at 14 an hour, and usually get 48 hours a week, sometimes more. I'm not necessarily recommending the OP work as a CNA, but he was asking about either paramedic or RN. CNA can be really hard work and even worse on the back than EMT or Medic, which is why they can make decent money with so little training. Its got a really high turnover rate though, people get frustrated at the workload and the wear and tear on their back.

RN pay on the other hand you are looking at anywhere from 20 an hour on up to 50 an hour.