A deer hit me

Medic9

Forum Lieutenant
Did you find the deer? Does the FD have deer steak for the bar-b-que this weekend?

One of our rigs hit a deer that ran out in front of them about 2 years ago... TRASHED the rig... the grille was almost gone, and there was fur in the radiator and cracks in the hood. The rig needed lots of work.

Around here, we have lots of deer vs. vehicle incidents... we are in a suburban area that has been slowly building into what little wildlife habitat is left, and the deer are overpopulated.

Valley Forge National Park is close by, and the Park Service says the amount of deer on the park property is 14 TIMES the number reccomended by the State to allow for preservation of wooded land. Every time they try to do a controlled deer kill, though, the neighbors complain and the animal-rights groups show up, playing the "Bambi" card.

My parents are one of the area printers... they have several customers who have "deer control" businesses.

I was born and raised in Erie and lived in Lawrence Co for two years and that stretch of I-80 was always a mess with road kill. The deer would be huge from eating in the Amish corn fields near by.
I am all for population control of wildlife. I personally couldn't hunt but if there are no natural preditors then humans have to do it. I also believe that you must eat what you take.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
IN Neb a state troper was hit by a whitetail on his Harley..

..on the way on, in uniform. He was banged up a little but the doe had a broken leg. He drew his sidearm and finished it.
Talk about a long session of "Who shot John?"!!. He was almost fired for discharging his sidearm in a manner against policy, maybe illegally. He got off, if I recall, on the technicality most everyone wanted to appear, that he was not yet on duty, the sidearm was his private sidearm (within accepted parameters), and that from then on he should not wear his uniform on the way to work, especially if he has to off Bambi's mom in front of other motorists.
Other than humans, deer are the most hazardous mammals to people in the U.S. due to MVA's.
Ask me about my angus adventure sometime...;)

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
I am lucky so far...Only one in this service who hasn't killed a dog yet! I hope it doesn't happen:unsure:

MDKEMT

volff21

Forum Probie
people here always do damage to the trucks,guess who gets the blame,its nice the truth always comes out

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
A few months ago I was taking a cardiac case to the local Hospital. Running Lights (but not my siren, as it was a deserted rural highway at 0230) Im travelling in excess of 70 mph.

Next thing i know I see a deer head in profile as in goes under the front tires.
You can imagine the impact, my partner jumping up between the seats yelling "What the hell just happened" and the patient screaming.

I reply "deer" and begin to bring the unit to a stop when "Thud" and deer number two broadsides the driver side immediately behind my seat where the box and cab meet.

I hop out and give the truck the once over for flat tires or busted headlights.
The patient is critical and the rig is still operable, so I floor the s.o.b. back onto the pavement while my partner radios a report to county dispatch.

Upon arrival at the hospital we are met by three county deputies, two other ambulance crews and all the E.R. techs. The damage was PURELY cosmetic.
Actually I take that back, all we did was hose off the blood bomb on the front bumper and the blood streak from the drivers door back to the rear tires.
No dents, no dinges... My partner was actually furious that something that bad happened to him with nothing to claim. The deputies immediately left to fight over a seasons supply of venison.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
I will also offer this tidbit... while attending college in Southern Illinois, I once happened across a vollie rig with antlers mounted on the front of the box between the cab roof and the lightbar.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
I will also offer this tidbit... while attending college in Southern Illinois, I once happened across a vollie rig with antlers mounted on the front of the box between the cab roof and the lightbar.
i always thought it would be pretty funny to see one of those Texas Longhorns on the front or the ambulance.

MidniteMedic

Forum Probie
I hit a canada goose once, it was on the road running to get airborne and i was motoring along and he wad just at hood height and went for a tumble over the car. I stopped got out looked over at him and he took off. This time he actually got more than 3 feet off the ground.

aussieemt1980

Forum Lieutenant
I also once hit an Eastern Grey kangaroo on the way out to a job one morning, smashed the front end to pieces. The insurance company argued about fixing it, saying that I must have been drunk myself to have hit a 7 foot kangaroo that jumped out in front of me, and because I did not exchange details about the accident (a requirement if you hit another VEHICLE not animal) so they were not willing to pay for it. I managed to successfully argue that the kangaroo must have been drunk to have been in the middle of the road, and the animal hit my vehicle and ran (hopped) away from the scene before I could exchange details with it. The insurance company eventually fixed it, and we got bullbars on the 4wd's after that.

texmat3

Forum Probie

only1jomo

Forum Probie
I took out a bunny once. Not a wild rabbit, but a cute, fuzzy, white bunny. I was running code to a respiratory call on a frequent flier that never called without reason. Bunny ran out into the road, I slowed, bunny cleared the road then turned right back and ran under the wheels. Bunny wanted to die.

Definately a suicidal bunny. I had a 3 legged turtle once that commited suicide. It's a tragic thing when an animal takes it's own life. :lol:

housert

Forum Probie
I haven't hit anything with the squad yet but that is because the one guy on my crew does a full out sprint to get into the drivers seat! I have managed to hit a bird with the radio antenna of my car! It was partially impaled so after looking like one of those little balls things that you put on your antenna, it fell off and I was left with a couple dozen feathers attached to it. Only I could hit a bird with a 2 cm. thick antenna!:rolleyes:

housert

Forum Probie
I just thought of something else. My husband's brother is a FF/Medic and was riding in the squad when the chief's son hit a deer. The kicker is that my husband, who works for an auto body shop, was the one who ended up having to fix the damage since the company he works for had the lowest estimate on the job! His older brother always finds a way to cause him problems! :p

mbcwgrl

Forum Probie
I heard about a call ran not too long ago where a woman hit a buck and the buck was still alive even after going through the windshield. The woman was trapped between the buck and the seat and couldnt get out... Could you imagine the 911 call??? When the police officers arrived they had to shoot the buck in order to get the woman out who had numerous cuts and bruises from the hooves of the buck. The buck was given to one of the local FF / Hunter for dinner!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I heard about a call ran not too long ago where a woman hit a buck and the buck was still alive even after going through the windshield. The woman was trapped between the buck and the seat and couldnt get out... Could you imagine the 911 call??? When the police officers arrived they had to shoot the buck in order to get the woman out who had numerous cuts and bruises from the hooves of the buck. The buck was given to one of the local FF / Hunter for dinner!

We had a similar incident with a cougar. Car hit cougar, didn't kill it. Cougar too damaged to run off, to alive for the people in the car to get out of the car. DFW guy had to come kill the cougar.

flhtci01

Forum Captain

She was lucky. A couple of years ago, a crew had to respond to a deer that was hit by one vehicle into the path of another oncoming vehicle. The deer went through the windshield and killed the driver. I think it was an antler in the chest.

sabbymedic

Forum Crew Member
Been there done that!!! I was working part time about 9 years ago 3:30 in the morning and on a priority call. Turned the corner and out of the corner of my left eye saw a deer starting to charge but it was too late I could not stop. The deer hit the Ambulance and pushed us sideways. I made sure my partner was ok and we kept going.

Scared the daylights out of me though.