77 y/o female respiratory distress

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
You are called for a patient with sob. You arrive to find the fire department on scene with the patient on a NRB at 15L/m. Pt is sitting in a chair and leaning forward in obvious distress. She denies any pain, RR is 46 labored and shallow. Pt blood pressure is 220/120, HR is 98 NSR on the monitor, 99% of 15L NRB, 12 lead shows no stemi. Pt denies n/v/d, pt skin is w/p/d. Pt has diffuse rales in her right lung field and basilar rales on the right. She does not have any pedal edema or hx of chf, she does have jvd. Pt has no obvious signs of stroke. How do you proceed?

PmHx:
COPD
Dialysis
HTN
CVA

Anjel

Forum Angel
12 lead shows no stemi. Ok is it a completely normal 12 lead?
Anything that would suggest any electrolyte imbalances, hypertrophy.

I'd get a line and go with the pulmonary edema/CHF treatment modality. Nitro and Cpap if she will tolerate and call for orders for lasix.

When was her last dialysis treatment. Has she missed a couple days? Anything that would suggest why she is all of a sudden filling up with fluid.

Is she compliant with her medications?

Angel

Paramedic
Anjel pretty much covered the bases

CPAP right away

id do the same tx except lasix since we dont carry it here

sputum production? missed dialysis, med compliance, recent illness ect ect

what was her room spo2? is she on oxygen normally? mentation normal?

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
no cough, she is compliant with medications and has not missed any dialysis appointments. Did not get a room air sat. Good mentation. 12 lead does shows LVH.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
I've had a patient who ended up with flash pulmonary edema who did not have a cough. When breathing at 40+ a minute I wouldn't expect too much coughing.

Did she get CPAP? Nitro? Any improvement from any treatments?

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I administered CPAP, ASA, NTG and her RR was lower by the time we reached the ER but she was still in distress. Her chest xray showed fluid as well. Spoke with the doctor and he said new onset CHF or fluid overload and that my treatment was correct. This was not a classic CHF. Where the patient has a hx of CHF, pedal edema is taking lasix, spironolactone etc.

I think her blood pressure was so high it was causing acute pulmonary edema. LVH forms over time but that could help contribute to it especially in severe HTN situations such as this.

I try to follow up on serious calls, that way if I did something wrong I can re-evaluate and figure out where I made the mistake.

ER placed patient on Bi-PAP and in line breathing tx, which they seem to do for CHF many times nowadays. Though in the field you aren't supposed to do it. I will follow up further and see if she got admitted and such. The patients' relative said thank you several times, I don't hear that often and it makes me feel good.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Sounds like you did a good job. Covered all your bases.

Only thing different I would of done is no ASA. Not that it would hurt, just not part of my CHF treatment plan.

This patient has a lot of different comorbidities and any combo of them can cause bad juju on the heart.

Angel

Paramedic
ha, i also had this call and screwed it up

just like yours; no hx of chf, new onset, xray showed fluids, audible LS without a steth and i just wasnt aggressive enough. i wasnt convinced it was CHF (exacerbation) because everyone else ive had, had a hx of it.

the thing with her was she had lung CA and was getting chemo (?) and thats what contributed to the the pul. edema

really good learning lesson and this just reaffirmed it. if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck....

thanks for the reminder ^_^

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
ASA is in our protocols for CHF. The thinking is that people with CHF have ventricular dysfunction and blood will pool, administering ASA reduces the risk of further clots developing.

Attachments

• CHF.jpg
    CHF.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 222

Anjel

Forum Angel
ASA is in our protocols for CHF. The thinking is that people with CHF have ventricular dysfunction and blood will pool, administering ASA reduces the risk of further clots developing.

Ah gotcha. Makes sense. It is not in my protocol. Something to consider though.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

Eh ASA is minimally beneficial in the treatment or prevention of Apical Thrombi. They need true anticoagulantion therapy, not anti-platelet. Not that it hurts the situation.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Definitely an acute left sided failure.

Fluids, NTG, C/BiPAP, RSI/NTI PRN, upright positioning and on to the ER. Lasix's efficacy has been questioned in the acute care setting. I think without obvious signs of fluid overload I'd be hesitant to give it, especially with renal failure in the history and the fact that they're compliant with their treatment from the sounds of it. This doesn't sound like a volume problem it's a pump problem. Fluid bolus could help due to lovely Mr. Frank Starling.

I need to not drink beer and post.

FLdoc2011

Forum Captain
I think you did fine with this, she's obviously in resp distress and you recognized probably pulm edema/CHF and treated so and got her safely to the hospital.

Are you able to see what was done after admission? See if they did an ECHO, willing to bet she likely has a relatively normal EF but bad diastolic dysfunction.

And someone already mentioned, but with dialysis patients always good to ask when they get it (M/W/F vs T/Th/Sat) and if they've missed any sessions as well as do they still make any urine.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Definitely an acute left sided failure.

Fluids, NTG, C/BiPAP, RSI/NTI PRN, upright positioning and on to the ER. Lasix's efficacy has been questioned in the acute care setting. I think without obvious signs of fluid overload I'd be hesitant to give it, especially with renal failure in the history and the fact that they're compliant with their treatment from the sounds of it. This doesn't sound like a volume problem it's a pump problem. Fluid bolus could help due to lovely Mr. Frank Starling.

I need to not drink beer and post.

Robby dear....

Why would you give a fluid bolus to someone with a BP in the 200s and lungs filling up with fluid. So much so that it's backing up and causing JVD?

I understand what you mean with the starling effect, but I think there are better ways to go about it than to give a hypertensive renal failure patient a ton of fluid.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm not saying a ton of fluid, I'm talking about a little 250mL bolus to see if we can't boost his force of contraction and cardiac output.

Without knowing when her last dialysis was it's a little more difficult to decide if this is due to a fluid overload or something else. If we're after the weekend ok I agree fluids are a bad choice but if we just had our third sesh of the week yesterday I'm going to bet that she's not full of fluids. That's my thought process on it, maybe I'm totally off base.

ACE-Inhibitors might be appropriate if you carry them as well.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I'm not saying a ton of fluid, I'm talking about a little 250mL bolus to see if we can't boost his force of contraction and cardiac output.

You didn't specify and I assumed a lot. Sorry love.

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief

Without knowing when her last dialysis was it's a little more difficult to decide if this is due to a fluid overload or something else. If we're after the weekend ok I agree fluids are a bad choice but if we just had our third sesh of the week yesterday I'm going to bet that she's not full of fluids. That's my thought process on it, maybe I'm totally off base.

ACE-Inhibitors might be appropriate if you carry them as well.

Doc ordered me to give Labetalol to the last patient I had with a pre flash pulmonary edema presentation, BP was 240's/130's when I started medicating and I dropped it down to about 150/90 with improved lung sounds without having to CPAP the patient or use any oxygen...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Doc ordered me to give Labetalol to the last patient I had with a pre flash pulmonary edema presentation, BP was 240's/130's when I started medicating and I dropped it down to about 150/90 with improved lung sounds without having to CPAP the patient or use any oxygen...

That's one I haven't heard of...I know ACE-I is indicated due to the activation of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system secondary to hypervolemia so in this particular patient probably not a good option now that I thought that over a bit more.