5 Terrifying Secrets About Riding in an Ambulance

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I have neck pain from alternatively nodding my head, shaking my head, and craning my neck forward in disbelief.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I think that is a ridiculous article.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The part about ambulances blowing up is a bit overblown, but the rest of it has too many overtones of truth to not be scary.

Surprised they didn't mention cost. I received a bill for my own 17 BLS transport following a ski crash...900 dollars?!?!?!?!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Each fact is a half-truth, statistics carefully worded to remain barely true, but in a dishonest light. Who ever said sensationalism didn't sell?

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
No offense but really? A ridiculous article? Sensationalism?

It's CRACKED magazine.

Take it for what it is. Have a few laughs and then forget about it.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
No offense but really? A ridiculous article? Sensationalism?

It's CRACKED magazine.

Take it for what it is. Have a few laughs and then forget about it.

There's a reason I posted in the the Lounge instead of the News forum.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Lol... One of it ambulances actually caught fire randomly a few weeks back <.<

mm505

Forum Crew Member
Number 4 was my favorite: Why did it take you so long?

My favorite question to the ones who asked me that was "So, when did YOU call 911?" They usually said some 4 letter words to me and walked off!

:rofl:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
It's always great to see yourself in Cracked.

Notown

Forum Probie
I find it hard to believe that the patient restraints are "hardly used".
You may not use all of them all of the time but come on... Hardly used!!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

They are where I work and I do my fair sure of psych transports. If I show in an ER and the patient is combative enough, I am going to see if an ALS unit is availed to transport the patient under chemical restraint as I feel that is the "less harm" option for the patient. If we show up to someone's house and they need restraints I'm calling for the police. Generally police presence will calm the patient enough to be cooperative, if not well then we have enough hands to properly restrain someone. I refuse to restrain someone with just my partner and I, two people is just not enough to ensure that unnecessary injury will not occur during the "take down" and restraint process.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

Physical restraints? Haven't used them in years. Chemical sedation? Rather often.

Physical restraint without sedation is not only cruel, it's dangerous.

Notown

Forum Probie
When I said restraints I was thinking more along the lines of back board straps and such. Not so much actually restraining the patient. My fault.

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
Man, I hate it when my ambulance spontaneously combusts. Driving down the road, minding your own business an bam, great balls of fire....

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Man, I hate it when my ambulance spontaneously combusts. Driving down the road, minding your own business an bam, great balls of fire....

Rest assured, ambulances don't explode as often as uhauls :p

Fire5PS-735298.jpg

uhaul2_1.jpg

30026.jpg

20032.jpg

uhaul-fire-cropped.jpg

f5744b0840.JPG

uhaul2_20100928195354_320_240.JPG

MRSA

Forum Crew Member
Lol... One of it ambulances actually caught fire randomly a few weeks back <.<

Man why do you get to have all the fun!

I only had a car fire last week, and I died laughing because the occupants were totally fine, but standing in the smoke staring at the fire. Like moths to the flame, they were!

She still didn't know how it caught on fire on the off ramp of the freeway ;D

And as for this article, WOW I just love it! I love the picture of the ambulance exploding, that is just bananas! I love you can see the roof coming off, it just fascinates me!

Though for what its worth someone crashed into our Mod about two months ago and it just WRECKED the Honda Civic and only decently dented the front end of the rig. That had me laughing after I heard my crewmen were okay.

And for what it's worth, I agree HEAVILY with the stress level increase of hearing alarms, bells, and whistles. My husband can't play this PS3 game I got him without cringing because you get calls via a nextel chirp. We both kind of jump and chuckle uneasily thinking we're both at work.

But what really cracks me up is the busted up house, I've felt like I could've done that at least three times in my one year in EMS and all of them were on 24 hour shifts. Damn you, nextel chirps. DAMN YOU.

Last edited by a moderator: