27/100 medical conditions/ an EMT should know (help me add them)

Medic27

Forum Lieutenant
I decided to make a list and to do a little studying I will add some, I'd love for people to throw lots at me.
I'm not an expert on anything and certainly not a paramedic but I have been looking on expanding my knowledge before I attempt anything like paramedic school.

Any suggestions or things I should add please let me know. Real life or textbook ones..

1- Anaphylaxis
2- Aortic Dissection
3- Asthma
4- Myocardial Infarction
5- Hemothorax
6- Angina Pectoris
7- Cardiac Tamponade (Beck's triad)
8- (CHF) Congestive Heart Failure
9- Ischemic 87% Hemorrhagic Stroke 13% -NCBI
10- Status Epilepticus
11- Hypotension
12- Hypertension
13- Hypoglycemia
14- Ketoacidosis
15- Hyperglycemia
16- Hypothermia
17- Hypoxia
18- Embolism
19- Hypoperfusion
20- Pneumothorax
21- Hemothorax
22- COPD
23- Bronchitis
24- Burn Degrees 1st,2nd,3rd
25- Overdose (opioids)
26- (TIA) Transient Ischemic Attack
27- Septic Shock
28- Psychosis
29- Depression/Suicidal Tendencies

Working on understanding everything I can about these and anymore suggested conditions.

Last edited:

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Medic27, I'd say I knew something significant about only 16 of the items on your list before I started paramedic school. It won't hurt to learn more about any of them before you begin, but you shouldn't feel you have to. That's why you're going to school.

OP
OP
Medic27

Medic27

Forum Lieutenant
I don't feel like I have too, but I want to know.. It's important to be the best health care provider you can be regardless of the level and I'm studying for employment tests.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Anything OB/GYN related.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
pnemonia
croup
PE
AAA
TB
Various ODs

OP
OP
Medic27

Medic27

Forum Lieutenant
30 - Pneumonia
31 - Croup
-- Embolism is #18, I could have been more specific
32 - Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)
33 - Tuberculosis (TB) N-95 Mask ***

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't feel like I have too, but I want to know.. It's important to be the best health care provider you can be regardless of the level and I'm studying for employment tests.

Fair enough; then I recommend you get a head start on pharmacology and/or cardiology -- two big parts of the paramedic curriculum. Maybe buy or borrow the main medic textbook you'll be using. It'll have all that stuff.

OP
OP
Medic27

Medic27

Forum Lieutenant
Fair enough; then I recommend you get a head start on pharmacology and/or cardiology -- two big parts of the paramedic curriculum. Maybe buy or borrow the main medic textbook you'll be using. It'll have all that stuff.
Great idea, thanks boss. Never excelled in school that's why I am getting ahead. :)

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Epiglottitis!

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Get a phone application for medications (OTC and scripts) read up on them with your patients and what they are on. Get an application that you can enter the meds and it will give you interactions. I have found a couple of patients that were sick because their medications didn't like each other. Fun thing to roll into the ED and tell the doctor what is wrong and why

FireDog19

Justifiably Delusional
ECG rhythms and interpretation between them. I practice on the medics a lot asking them if it's one thing if yes they tell me, if not they tell me why.

Also different breath sounds.

By the way, you've got hemothorax twice..

EMTlash

Forum Probie
I decided to make a list and to do a little studying I will add some, I'd love for people to throw lots at me.
I'm not an expert on anything and certainly not a paramedic but I have been looking on expanding my knowledge before I attempt anything like paramedic school.

Any suggestions or things I should add please let me know. Real life or textbook ones..

1- Anaphylaxis
2- Aortic Dissection
3- Asthma
4- Myocardial Infarction
5- Hemothorax
6- Angina Pectoris
7- Cardiac Tamponade (Beck's triad)
8- (CHF) Congestive Heart Failure
9- Ischemic 87% Hemorrhagic Stroke 13% -NCBI
10- Status Epilepticus
11- Hypotension
12- Hypertension
13- Hypoglycemia
14- Ketoacidosis
15- Hyperglycemia
16- Hypothermia
17- Hypoxia
18- Embolism
19- Hypoperfusion
20- Pneumothorax
21- Hemothorax
22- COPD
23- Bronchitis
24- Burn Degrees 1st,2nd,3rd
25- Overdose (opioids)
26- (TIA) Transient Ischemic Attack
27- Septic Shock
28- Psychosis
29- Depression/Suicidal Tendencies

Working on understanding everything I can about these and anymore suggested conditions.
Triple A
Commotio cordis
CAD
Croup
Epiglottitis
Emphysema
Pregnancy complications
SIDS
Schizophrenia
I mean no matter how much we learn there are way too many more to learn good luck.

zzyzx

Forum Captain
Chronic pain syndrome
Panic disorder
Suicide risk
Bipolar disorder
Pseudo seizures
Malingering

Just a few off the top of my head. As a both an EMT and a medic you'll be dealing with a lot of psyche issues. As you may already know, a good EMT has to have some understanding off and compassion for patients with psychological disorders.