23 y/o male overdose

Exp. Hatam

Forum Probie
You respond to the scene of a 23 year old male who has overdosed in his house. He is lying on the couch with respiration of 4 BPM. You and your partner lift him onto the floor. Next, would you:

A) Provide 95% O2 via Nonrebreather mask

B) Provide 6 LPM O2 via nasal cannula

C) Provide 100% O2 via BVM

D) None of the Above

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
A.

Plus 200 mcg of nalaxone. Then switch the NRB for a NC or room air once Sp02 gets above 90%

What did I win?

P.S. If this was a homework question, tell your instructor he doesn't know what he's doing.

OP
OP
E

Exp. Hatam

Forum Probie
The BVM is used for a non-breathing patient.

My book says that the BVMs could also be used to ventilate patients with inadequate respirations (e.g. drug overdose).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So then what would you do for this patient?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Sounds like a basic question (i.e.: no Narcan) so it would be C with an ALS intercept for Narcan.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
A.

Plus 200 mcg of nalaxone. Then switch the NRB for a NC or room air once Sp02 gets above 90%

What did I win?

P.S. If this was a homework question, tell your instructor he doesn't know what he's doing.

NRB with a respiratory rate of 4? Also, nothing necessarily says this is an opiate overdose. Likely? Depends. But could be benzos, multisubstance,etc.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
25f756b9bd78885813787c67b8a8e310.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fleury14

Forum Crew Member
OPA, assist ventilations with a bvm for 2 minutes, narcan, continue assisting w/bvm until he wakes up... Simple BLS call.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
OPA, assist ventilations with a bvm for 2 minutes, narcan, continue assisting w/bvm until he wakes up... Simple BLS call.

I would be careful with an OPA. NPA maybe, but I would be concerned about vomiting.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
NRB with a respiratory rate of 4? Also, nothing necessarily says this is an opiate overdose. Likely? Depends. But could be benzos, multisubstance,etc.
The OP said it was an OD.

What besides opioids causes a RR of 4?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
The OP said it was an OD.

What besides opioids causes a RR of 4?

Benzos and alcohol can both cause respiratory depression. I'll give it to you it's most likely an opiate, but other substances can cause respiratory depression or arrest.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Always OPA first in that situation.

What's your thinking on that? I'm legitimately curious.

Fleury14

Forum Crew Member
Ok maybe with some kind of oral trauma but otherwise why wouldn't you try to use the opa first?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ok maybe with some kind of oral trauma but otherwise why wouldn't you try to use the opa first?

If you're an ALS unit Narcan. There is still a decent possibly of an intact gag reflex

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Benzos and alcohol can both cause respiratory depression. I'll give it to you it's most likely an opiate, but other substances can cause respiratory depression or arrest.

And that's the whole point