15 y/o female snowboarding fall assessment

musicislife

Forum Crew Member
You arrive and the patient is complaining about a broken arm. Bystanders indicate that she took a very hard fall (fell and rolled/slid 100 ft down the somewhat steep trail). The patient indicates she has neck pain. (midline down the C-Spine)

Actions: C spine precations, head to toe assessment (given the very hard fall, neck pain, and arm injury)

Expose then cover each area of the body as it is assessed.

Is this the proper assessment here?

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
I would not expose them on a hillside in the snow. I would probably also splint the arm... She would be very unhappy if you true moving her and it was moving all willy-nilly

OP
OP
M

musicislife

Forum Crew Member
yea i was just focusing on the assessment portion...so you think the best course would be to get her off the slopes and expose/assess in the first aid station/rig?

Anjel

Forum Angel
Does she need oral glucose? :rolleyes:

And yea it is freezing and she is girl. You would assess in the rig. In privacy, unless it is absolutely critical that you get her naked right then and there.

I am assuming you are talking about working in the capacity as an EMT or Medic.

As a first responder you would hold c-spine, keep pt warm, and wait for the proper tools to extricate.

Put a splint on the arm in the position of comfort. If you have the ability to do so.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

And yea it is freezing and she is girl. You would assess in the rig. In privacy, unless it is absolutely critical that you get her naked right then and there.

I am assuming you are talking about working in the capacity as an EMT or Medic.

As a first responder you would hold c-spine, keep pt warm, and wait for the proper tools to extricate.

Put a splint on the arm in the position of comfort. If you have the ability to do so.
I would second the above. Unless there is a HUGE compelling reason to strip her completely down right there on the slope, I'm going to wait until there's sufficient privacy to complete the physical exam. I don't care that she's 15, 30, or 85. I don't care that she's not really a he... What I do care about is that the patient fell, is complaining of mid-line tenderness and likely has a fractured arm. That patient is going to get a very quick assessment for immediate life threats, will be placed in the best spinal restriction that I can provide, have that arm splinted, and then transported down the slope to the warm and waiting ambulance or aid station where I can then complete the exam and determine if other interventions are necessary. Outside of running a code, there is very little reason I can see staying on the slope longer than the amount of time needed for packaging/extrication to some place more private and warm.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

of course ^_^ lol i just found out that like five people that are close to me got diagnosed with diabetes, so I wanted to be prepared by learning all about oral glucose and diabetic emergencies
You would be far better served learning about diabetes than learning about oral glucose per se. Once you know about the underlying cause of diabetes, you will be a far better place to understand why particular interventions are done.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Where new Jersey do you have snow?
Angel, thanks for that I will be laughing for a while now.
where was NSP?

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You have to mess yourself up pretty good to get exposed on the hill. it's not practical. splint appropriately and do your looking in the first aid room or ambulance.

It's fine to take a peak if it's easy and isn't causing too much pain, remove a glove and slide the sleeve up for a wrist injury or something of the sort.

CBentz12

Forum Crew Member
I would put a c collar on her splint the arm and log roll her while checking for any PN or obvious deformities of the spine and then strap her on a backboard. Do your detailed assessment in the back of the ambulance and of you have to expose then do so out if the eyes of the public. Try not to think too much into the book when your writing these scenarios.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

Achilles

Forum Moron

Alright, can you answer my question? - where was NSP? How'd you get them down the hill? Stair chair? Stoax? Toboggan?
And what mountain was this???
It can be akward exposing someone the same age as you music did you try to get a female emt to do it instead.

RustyShackleford

Forum Crew Member
I'm pretty sure he/she just makes up scenarios for their own amusement and these aren't actual calls, if they are I feel sorry for these patients constantly getting oral glucose shoved down their throat...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Beats ipecac

RustyShackleford

Forum Crew Member
Shhhhhh....ipecac is how I stay sooooo lean

OP
OP
M

musicislife

Forum Crew Member
i was on the other side of the mountain (jiminy peak in mass. my mom walked the pt in question down, didnt even give me a phone call...if iwere there I woulda called NSP.
Alright, can you answer my question? - where was NSP? How'd you get them down the hill? Stair chair? Stoax? Toboggan?
And what mountain was this???
It can be akward exposing someone the same age as you music did you try to get a female emt to do it instead.

OP
OP
M

musicislife

Forum Crew Member
this is the first actual scenario I have put up...the others were ficticious
I'm pretty sure he/she just makes up scenarios for their own amusement and these aren't actual calls, if they are I feel sorry for these patients constantly getting oral glucose shoved down their throat...

Achilles

Forum Moron
i was on the other side of the mountain (jiminy peak in mass. my mom walked the pt in question down, didnt even give me a phone call...if iwere there I woulda called NSP.

Whatever dood. Go be asinine somewhere else.