14 Day Boot Camp, ADHD, and A Good Program

medic417

The Truth Provider
I didn't say anything about BLS ambulances. I was talking about EMTs on a 911 ambulance. I am quite familiar with DFW. Fort Worth, and now Arlington too, unfortunately (since AMR came in), have EMTs on their 911 ambulances, as do a couple of the surrounding rural counties. I oppose this use of EMTs.

Worse than 1 basic with a paramedic many small towns actually respond 911 with two basics or even lower.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
I didn't say anything about BLS ambulances. I was talking about EMTs on a 911 ambulance. I am quite familiar with DFW. Fort Worth, and now Arlington too, unfortunately (since AMR came in), have EMTs on their 911 ambulances, as do a couple of the surrounding rural counties. I oppose this use of EMTs.

oh ok. i just misunderstood then. well arlington actually just started letting emts work there last october. it used to be only intermediates and medics only. although really the intermediates were useless cause i've heard(haven't confirmed) that their protocol is every patient gets placed on the monitor.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
arlington actually just started letting emts work there last october. it used to be only intermediates and medics only.
They were dual medic for many years before that. AMR has gradually whittled away at the requirement, from medic, to intermediate, and now to EMT, even though there is a glut of medics in the area. Typical AMR, always cutting corners. At least a couple times a day they have to call for mutual aid from Mansfield, Kennedale, Pantego, or Grand Prairie because they are out of ambulances because they don't want to spend the money.

although really the intermediates were useless cause i've heard(haven't confirmed) that their protocol is every patient gets placed on the monitor.
Again, typical AMR. Very cookbook based in most locations. Defensive medical protocols written more for the benefit of their lawyers than for their patients.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
although really the intermediates were useless cause i've heard(haven't confirmed) that their protocol is every patient gets placed on the monitor.

Well at least they are educated enough to use a monitor. Dropping down to basics is a bad choice. The limited education benefits no one but the accountants. With the EMT-I they at least have some education that can be used to assist patient and Parmedic partner.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
Well at least they are educated enough to use a monitor. Dropping down to basics is a bad choice. The limited education benefits no one but the accountants. With the EMT-I they at least have some education that can be used to assist patient and Parmedic partner.

i don't think intermediates can use the monitor, just start iv's and intubate, which i do agree helps out the medic more than an emt would. but in arlington most of the fire dept is paramedic certified so they usually have things going before the ambulance arrives.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
They were dual medic for many years before that. AMR has gradually whittled away at the requirement, from medic, to intermediate, and now to EMT, even though there is a glut of medics in the area. Typical AMR, always cutting corners. At least a couple times a day they have to call for mutual aid from Mansfield, Kennedale, Pantego, or Grand Prairie because they are out of ambulances because they don't want to spend the money.

Again, typical AMR. Very cookbook based in most locations. Defensive medical protocols written more for the benefit of their lawyers than for their patients.

i do agree, amr is more focused on the money aspect than anything else. thats why we lose so many good medics

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
I oppose this use of EMTs.

i kinda have to disagree with you on the emt and 911 aspect. i think it would be beneficial for an emt to be partnered with an experienced(not fresh out of school) medic on a 911 truck. i think it would help them get a good idea of what a medic is all about and give them a head start, on certain aspects, for medic school. what a great way to learn about good patient assessment, from an experienced medic. thats how i learned to do mine.

DevilDuckie

Forum Crew Member
Worse than 1 basic with a paramedic many small towns actually respond 911 with two basics or even lower.

We use an ambulance attendant (advanced first aid) and a driver for low priority calls; and an EMT and a driver for emergencies.

The state, via loopholes in the codes, says it's okay. If the provider is competent, what's the difference. What works in one place, may not work somewhere else.

medic417

The Truth Provider
i don't think intermediates can use the monitor, just start iv's and intubate, which i do agree helps out the medic more than an emt would. but in arlington most of the fire dept is paramedic certified so they usually have things going before the ambulance arrives.

In Texas depends on medical Director. When I was an EMT-I we ran and read 12 leads.

medic417

The Truth Provider
We use an ambulance attendant (advanced first aid) and a driver for low priority calls; and an EMT and a driver for emergencies.

The state, via loopholes in the codes, says it's okay. If the provider is competent, what's the difference. What works in one place, may not work somewhere else.

Sadly Texas will give variances that allow that as well for a short time. Sad the communitys have no idea just how little care they actually have.