12 week accelerated Paramedic Program!!??

boarder12

Forum Ride Along
I was curious about some of the “accelerated” paramedic programs throughout the nation and came across this little gem located in Nebraska. A 12 WEEK!!! accelerated paramedic program at McCook community college in Nebraska. From what I hear these programs are looked down upon in the EMS community. From my research however the 12 weeks only includes the didactic portion of the program and the 400+ hours of field and clinical experience is to follow. It seems interesting that a school can teach a student paramedicine in 12 weeks. The school has a “high success rate” as it claims.

Any thoughts and comments about this?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
It seems interesting that a school can teach a student paramedicine in 12 weeks.
How would you feel about a 6 month physician program? Now apply that feeling to a 12 week paramedic program. You can't teach the needed breadth of information to sufficient depth to safely practice as a paramedic in 12 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I was curious about some of the “accelerated” paramedic programs throughout the nation and came across this little gem located in Nebraska. A 12 WEEK!!! accelerated paramedic program at McCook community college in Nebraska. From what I hear these programs are looked down upon in the EMS community. From my research however the 12 weeks only includes the didactic portion of the program and the 400+ hours of field and clinical experience is to follow. It seems interesting that a school can teach a student paramedicine in 12 weeks. The school has a “high success rate” as it claims.

michael-jackson-thriller-eating-popcorn-animated.gif

Yes, don't do it. Know why they have a high success rate? Because they teach you how to take a test, not how to be a good paramedic. Anything worth doing is worth doing
right. I wouldn't be comfortable with a paramedic program that was less than a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

8jimi8

CFRN

If these people have a high success rate its probably because the only intelligent person to take this class would already be an experienced medical provider.

Being able to digest a paramedic course in 12 weeks would require an already thorough understanding of body systems, problems and treatments.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Actually many that take and pass these diploma mills and then the NR are just the average fire fighter that has to get Paramedic to get/keep job. They usually have no medical education beyond emt.

I do not recommend these courses.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
This is what happened after MJ gave Chuck Norris a bad look.

If I looked like that after surgery, I think I would need large amounts of propofol too.

8jimi8

CFRN
If I looked like that after surgery, I think I would need large amounts of propofol too.

So what was the deal with all the whitening? Did i hear that he had vitiligo?

JPINFV

Gadfly
So what was the deal with all the whitening? Did i hear that he had vitiligo?

That's what Wiki says, which, of course, makes me a [fatherless child] for making that joke.

/Jackson going from black man to white woman will never get old.
//If his only problem was the vitiligo, then it wouldn't be funny, however it's not.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
I am three quarters through my medic course, and it has been tough learning it all. I can not imagine cramming it all into 12 weeks. Personally I would not suggest the short program.
I do know someone that took a 15 week medic course and he is a good medic. But he had taken all sorts of A&P classes before hand and several years of basic field experience. And even he does not suggest that route.
How much would you be able to retain after cramming that much info into your head. Cramming before exams works in a pinch but the info is not long term remembered. The short course would be doing just that. A stressed and tired mind will not retain much.( speaking from experience :wacko:)

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Gosh back in the 1990s Advanced Care Officer (Paramedic) took at least five years to obtain

Now, Intensive Care Paramedic takes at least six.

Obviously we're doing something wrong.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
What does it say about the National Registry that somebody who took a 12 week course is able to pass their exam?

It says that it's a fairly basic exam that test the bare minimum as an entry to practice. I don't think the written is horrible, but I think the 'practicals" should be scrapped in favor of an oral exam similar to what physicians take for board certification.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown can consistently achieve quite a high score on the practice exams, except for those rubbish questions about which kind of radio is what and other useless crap.

Brown wouldn't doubt at all if one of our volunteer Technicians could pass that test.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Brown can consistently achieve quite a high score on the practice exams, except for those rubbish questions about which kind of radio is what and other useless crap.

Brown wouldn't doubt at all if one of our volunteer Technicians could pass that test.

Lol. I really wish they would usher out the type of questions that you are speaking of and replace them with more pertinent ones.

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
Does a medic class thats shorter than my basic class sound like a good idea? I know it would be full time class but still.