12 Lead EKG interpretations: let's do it!!!

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Whoops I didn't even notice the missing leads!

ecg_12lead022.gif

OP
OP
Dutch-EMT

Dutch-EMT

BScN
1 Heartrate: 90bpm
2 Rythm: P followed by QRS, so sinusrythm
3 P looks very large in all leads... Different shapes in the various leads...
4 PQ is not larger than 0,2 sec so normal. QRS <0,12 sec.
5 Axis: I more negative, aVF more positive... right axis deviation
6 Hypertrophy: P in V1 looks like right-atrialhypertrophy. no ventricular hypertrophy.
7 Q in III, aVF, V1 V2, V3, V4 and V5. Q in II doubts me... 1mm wide or 1/3 of the QRS? ST depression in II (1,5 or 2mm), 1mm depression in aVF. Also light depression in V4 and V5. Flat T in V1.

Well... No ST elevation, but there is ischemia. also right axis deviation. Mi stage III anterior and posterior??? Difficult one...

Scubamedic

Forum Probie
ecg_12lead-leftanteriorfascicularbl.gif

1. Heartrate: About 75 bpm
2. Rhytm: Regullar
3. P's are looking the same. Negative in v1. P's followed by a qrs.
4. Pq time is normal, qrs time doubts me. Looks a little wide, bbb?... The r's don't show up very well...
5. Heartaxis: I = positive and avf negative : Left axis deviation.
6. Hypertrophy, no lvh, rvh or atrial hypertrophy.
7. Q's and st's normal. T's normal, flat t in v1.

So based on the information: Low r in the precordial leads , left axis deviation... The wide looking qrs tells me there is a intraventricular conduction problem...
Left axis tells me it is possible anterior (also the s in iii).
But with no signs of q's, st's and t's it isn't mi.
So, it is possible that it is left anterior fascicular block.

winner winner!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Dutch-EMT

Dutch-EMT

BScN
Because it's getting quiet here, should i post a new EKG?
Yeah! why not....
Here is a new one!!

Is there a problem, and what is the problem?

34379911.jpg

8jimi8

CFRN
My understanding is that it was right atrial enlargement.

Right Atrial enlargement, that is all I saw, but I thought i was wrong until you said it.

P waves >= 3mv

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah! why not....
Here is a new one!!

Rate: 71 (1500 method)
Regularity: Regular
Rhythm: Sinus rhythm
P: Sinus P waves only
QRS: RS complex, ? Q waves in lead I only, ? something is seriously wrong with aVF looks like a block of some sort
ST: The ST segments in the chest leads dont look normal
PR Interval: 0.16 sec
QTc: Couldn't figure it out

There is something weird going on here.

This wasn't captured in Los Angeles was it? :D

TomB

Forum Captain
Okay, ECG number 3: A young male, 26years...
Any problems on this one?

34379905.jpg

This is a strange coincidence!

I actually captured this 12-lead ECG. This is a great example of why it's important to interpret an ECG in light of the history and clinical presentation.

Normally the straight ST-segments in leads V2 and V3 with the slight terminal T-wave inversion in lead V2 would give me cause for concern.

But, since this was a totally asymptomatic firefighter lying on the kitchen counter in the fire station, I wasn't too concerned about it! :)

Tom

TomB

Forum Captain
Our guideline is >= 2mm

I'll try one ... this was a 19yof cc c/p ~ 7/24 maybe 2 or 3/10 other than that asymptomatic

I don't have the 12 lead ECG with me still so I found a comparable one online

ecg_12lead022z.gif

Right atrial enlargement, right axis deviation, low voltage, terminal R-waves in leads V1 and V2, and Q-waves in the right precordial leads. I would say pulmonary disease pattern (at a minimum).

Tom

TomB

Forum Captain
Yeah! why not....
Here is a new one!!

34379911.jpg

It's always a mistake to interpret an ECG like this without the history and clinical presentation, but assuming (for the sake of discussion) that this is a chest pain patient with a suggestive history, I always get nervous when I see ST-depression and/or T-wave inversion in leads III and aVF, particularly if there appears to be reciprocal activity between III and aVL.

Tom

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
Well, good information!!! Sheet 4 tells also something interesting:
"Of 123 adult chestpain patiënts with ST segment elevation equal or >1mm, 51% did not have myocardial infarctions. 21% LBBB and 33% LVH"...
Sheet 5 tells more reasons for ST elevation, for example Benign early repolarization. So that means it can be a harmless sign.

But, hey... let's go ontopic again with ECG nr 3 I posted.
I agree that the ST in V2 and V3 is elevated. but anything more interesting to see?

for the sake of convenience: here it is (again)
34379905.jpg

Did anyone else notice the indicators of ventricular hypertrophy on this 12 lead? does this particular patient have a history of hypertension? or is it possibly that he has undiagnosed hypertension?

TomB

Forum Captain
Did anyone else notice the indicators of ventricular hypertrophy on this 12 lead? does this particular patient have a history of hypertension? or is it possibly that he has undiagnosed hypertension?

It wasn't even a patient. It was a firefighter in perfect health. What criteria are you using?

Tom

OP
OP
Dutch-EMT

Dutch-EMT

BScN
Hypertrophy??? I don't see it.
Hypertrophy is a pathology of the heart.
A sportive young person with a bigger heartmuscle doesn't have a pathology of the heart?
When hypertrophy is suspected, a heartecho must be made to confirm a hypertrophy.

zmedic

Forum Captain
Assuming it was a symptomatic patient, when the QRSs of the precordial leads touch that is a quick and dirty look for LVH. Or you can do that whole count boxes max V1 or V2 plus max V5 or V6 with a sum> I think 35.

Also that last one, the possible inferior wall, seems to have some slurring of the QRS, almost looks like a delta wave. Might have an abnormal pathway, concern for WPW if it were going faster.

Last edited by a moderator:

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
It's always a mistake to interpret an ECG like this without the history and clinical presentation, but assuming (for the sake of discussion) that this is a chest pain patient with a suggestive history, I always get nervous when I see ST-depression and/or T-wave inversion in leads III and aVF, particularly if there appears to be reciprocal activity between III and aVL.

Tom

Anyone else appreciate a delta wave? Looks a bit WPW to me.

8jimi8

CFRN
now that you mention it... that hadn't even occurred to me