12 Lead EKG interpretations: let's do it!!!

TomB

Forum Captain
It is not a totally normal ECG. It shows a repolarization abnormality, a downsloping ST-segment in lead III, and a flat ST-segment in lead aVF. If it was the ECG of a chest pain patient it would be suspicious, but inconclusive.

Tom

OP
OP
Dutch-EMT

Dutch-EMT

BScN
Thanks, that was my only guess. I got one to post I found. I had to get out my little als book and measure it, and I still got it wrong.

1. Heartrate: about 75 bpm
2. Rhytm: regullar
3. P's are looking the same. negative in V1. P's followed by a QRS.
4. PQ time is normal, QRS time doubts me. Looks a little wide, BBB?... The R's don't show up very well...
5. Heartaxis: I = positive and aVF negative : left axis deviation.
6. Hypertrophy, no LVH, RVH or Atrial hypertrophy.
7. Q's and ST's normal. T's normal, flat T in V1.

So based on the information: low R in the precordial leads , left axis deviation... the wide looking QRS tells me there is a intraventricular conduction problem...
Left axis tells me it is possible anterior (also the S in III).
But with no signs of Q's, ST's and T's it isn't MI.
So, it is possible that it is Left anterior fascicular block.

Last edited by a moderator:

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
On the second one, looks like it could be an electrolyte imbalance causing a spiked T wave.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
This is a great thread though as a new medic student I can not believe I will someday be able to interpret these. Who knows, with the fail rates in paramedic school maybe I wont:excl:

Thanks for posting it though

OP
OP
Dutch-EMT

Dutch-EMT

BScN
A new one...

Okay, ECG number 3: A young male, 26years...
Any problems on this one?

34379905.jpg

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
NSR with ST-elevation in V2-V4 leading to a possible septal infarct.

Can't quit tell so zoomed out, but there might be a mm of elevation in V1, which would then make it a possible anterio-septal infarct.

8jimi8

CFRN
NSR with ST-elevation in V2-V4 leading to a possible septal infarct.

Can't quit tell so zoomed out, but there might be a mm of elevation in V1, which would then make it a possible anterio-septal infarct.

I thought ST elevaton less than 1 mm was insignificant?

8jimi8

CFRN
i meant to say less than 2 mm, but you seemed to imply that if it was there, it would increase the size of the infarct...

or am i reading your post incorrectly?

I was just looking for rationale as to why you felt that 1mm ste was significant...

(not that it absolutely cannot be... just curious as to what you are thinking)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I was always taught 1mm / .5mm for elevation and depression respectively, was where a possible ischemic event was taking place.

EDIT: Hmph, reading in a couple of places say precordial leads need 2mm elevation... wheres my Dubin book when I need it?

8jimi8

CFRN
yah...

>2mm ste in the precordials is what I learned. That is why I was curious, being that you just finished school, i didn't know if you were working with new infos.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Could also be because I finished school I have a crap load of info and very little experience, so it all gets jumbled ^_^

Could have just been the limb leads I was thinking of... gah, now I have to find my cardiology notes. Thanks, James, for ruining my lazy day!

OP
OP
Dutch-EMT

Dutch-EMT

BScN
EDIT: Hmph, reading in a couple of places say precordial leads need 2mm elevation... wheres my Dubin book when I need it?

When the ST elevation / depression is the only sign pointing to a possible MI, that means no Q's, no typical complains (chestpain) or other signs/symptoms, then the elevation or depression must be 2mm or more...
0,5 or 1mm elevation/depression are mostly insignificant.
The patiënt monitors I use alarm for ST at 2mm elevation or depression...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I found this interesting-

http://www.slideshare.net/cksheng74/st-segment-elevations-in-ecg2

Look at slide page 9.

76608917.png

As per the 2007 AHA/ACC MI guidelines at http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/content/full/50/7/e1

. The diagnosis of MI is confirmed with serial cardiac biomarkers in more than 90% of patients who present with ST-segment elevation of greater than or equal to 1 mm (0.1 mV) in at least 2 contiguous leads, and such patients should be considered candidates for acute reperfusion therapy.

8jimi8

CFRN
OP
OP
Dutch-EMT

Dutch-EMT

BScN
Well, good information!!! Sheet 4 tells also something interesting:
"Of 123 adult chestpain patiënts with ST segment elevation equal or >1mm, 51% did not have myocardial infarctions. 21% LBBB and 33% LVH"...
Sheet 5 tells more reasons for ST elevation, for example Benign early repolarization. So that means it can be a harmless sign.

But, hey... let's go ontopic again with ECG nr 3 I posted.
I agree that the ST in V2 and V3 is elevated. but anything more interesting to see?

for the sake of convenience: here it is (again)
34379905.jpg

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Our guideline is >= 2mm

I'll try one ... this was a 19yof cc c/p ~ 7/24 maybe 2 or 3/10 other than that asymptomatic

I don't have the 12 lead ECG with me still so I found a comparable one online

ecg_12lead022z.gif

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
@Dutch-EMT

Seems sinus brady, or very close to it, not normal sinus like I said before. I didn't count the boxes >_>

OP
OP
Dutch-EMT

Dutch-EMT

BScN
@Dutch-EMT

Seems sinus brady, or very close to it, not normal sinus like I said before. I didn't count the boxes >_>

It is a sinusrythm, about 60 bpm.
The ST's in V2 and V3 in this case were'not significant for diagnose of any MI.
Heartaxis is normal and there is no significant Q in the ECG.

Again a normal ECG belonging to this specific (sportive, young) person.

OP
OP
Dutch-EMT

Dutch-EMT

BScN
Our guideline is >= 2mm

I'll try one ... this was a 19yof cc c/p ~ 7/24 maybe 2 or 3/10 other than that asymptomatic

I don't have the 12 lead ECG with me still so I found a comparable one online

ecg_12lead022z.gif

Missing V4-V6... can you post thos missing leads?

1 Heartrate: 90bpm
2 Rythm: P followed by QRS, so sinusrythm
3 P looks very large in all leads... Different shapes in the various leads...
4 PQ is not larger than 0,2 sec so normal. QRS <0,12 sec.
5 Axis: I more negative, aVF more positive... right axis deviation
6 Hypertrophy: P in V1 looks like right-atrialhypertrophy.
Need V4 - V6 to review if this ECG shows ventricular hypertrophy.
7 Q in III, aVF, V1 V2 and V3. Q in II doubts me... 1mm wide or 1/3 of the QRS? ST depression in II (1,5 or 2mm), 1mm depression in aVF. Flat T in V1.

But i realy need the missing V4 - V6