SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by MMiz@Nov 17 2004, 11:52 PM
In EMT school the instructor told us never to say the following in EMS:
1. "Over and out"
2. Roger
3. Walkie Talkie. It's a "Prep"
4. Resist all urges to say "Breaker 1-9"
We use "copy" or "copy that" most of the time to acknowledge traffic or terminate communication. If we need a clear line on the dispatch channel, we give our identifier and "emergency traffic" (e.g. "Verdugo, RA41, emergency traffic....")

We refer to our portable radios generally as either "HTs" (short for handie-talkie...old term) or "portables".

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
My county uses the numbers 1 to 100 for our signals. The most common are:

Sig 2 - Enroute

10 - Call for PD

13 - Structure Fire

15 - Drill

16 - Medical Emergency

18 - Proceeding to Hospital

20 - Copy that

21 - Arrived at Destination

24 - Mutual Aid

My two least favorite: 1- Disaster, 59 - MCI :(

My two favorite: 8 - Food/Fuel, 25 - Released from Duty :D

OP
OP
D

DonQ

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Nov 22 2004, 06:19 AM
My two favorite: 8 - Food/Fuel, 25 - Released from Duty :D
Hahaha! :)

OP
OP
D

DonQ

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Nov 21 2004, 10:48 PM
10-23= on scene
10-24= at destination
This might be a stupid question...but what's the difference between these two?

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by DonQ+Nov 22 2004, 12:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DonQ @ Nov 22 2004, 12:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PArescueEMT@Nov 21 2004, 10:48 PM
10-23= on scene
10-24= at destination
This might be a stupid question...but what's the difference between these two? [/b][/quote]
I'd guess "on scene" is when you arrive at the call location, and "at destination" is when you arrive at the hospital on a transport. In our MCT system, we use "on scene" when we arrive, "transport" when we begin the transport, and "transport complete" when we end the transport.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Originally posted by SafetyPro+Nov 22 2004, 07:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SafetyPro @ Nov 22 2004, 07:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by DonQ@Nov 22 2004, 12:34 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-PArescueEMT
@Nov 21 2004, 10:48 PM
10-23= on scene
10-24= at destination

This might be a stupid question...but what's the difference between these two?
I'd guess "on scene" is when you arrive at the call location, and "at destination" is when you arrive at the hospital on a transport. In our MCT system, we use "on scene" when we arrive, "transport" when we begin the transport, and "transport complete" when we end the transport. [/b][/quote]
you got it!

I always thought it was stupid to have them both. but our dispatchers needed to here the number to enter it into the CAD right. I swear the had trained monkey's in there. ;)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Nov 22 2004, 10:58 PM
I always thought it was stupid to have them both. but our dispatchers needed to here the number to enter it into the CAD right. I swear the had trained monkey's in there. ;)
HEY!!!! :angry: ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie+Nov 20 2004, 06:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ Nov 20 2004, 06:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MMiz@Nov 20 2004, 01:40 AM
Chimpie,

You're saying all calls go RLS?
Let me make sure that we are on the same lines here. And remember, while I've never worked on an ambulance, I have been on plenty of EMS runs and know some people in the ambulance service. With that....

Besides transfers, I think/thought every ambulance run starts out RLS. Now whether they are transported RLS to the hospital is of coursed based on the pt's condition. I have seen where the ambulance starts out RLS but once someone gets on scene they might slow down to RL and S when needed.

But take your example of pt with incision with minor, controllable bleading. How do you know what is minor? I can't tell you any number of calls I've been on where it comes in as a minor cut and we get there and he has a two inch gash requiring stiches.

I'd never want to be the crew that gets there when we get there only to find out that the pt needed us there yesterday.

Chimp [/b][/quote]
AMEN.

I strongly feel, that except for Emotional disorders, you run hot. DOA - Run HOT - I've worked a few that were "DOA" but acutally codes. I wish we could get better dispatchers :rolleyes:

rescuecpt

Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Dec 27 2004, 01:25 PM
I wish we could get better dispatchers :rolleyes:
It's not necessarily the dispatchers - it's also the bystanders who call it in. Some people totally freak out and make it sound worse than it is, and some people are jaded and call in an amputation as a "cut".

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Yea..I know I have cussed a dispatcher or two...but sometimes its just the info they get. We ran a 60something year old lady who "fell out of her wheel chair and needed help back in." It was basically a public assist call. When we get there and find her, turns out she had driven her motorized wheel chair off her porch - which was about 5 feet high- had flipped it over, landed on her head with the chair on top of her. She said she had come home at about 1 pm that day, and we go the call at about 4 pm, when someone driving by happened to see her laying on the ground - they didn't bother to stop, just called 911 said a lady "fell out of her chair".

So doing the math real quick...5 ft high porch, seat of chair was about 2 1/2 feet off ground...came close enough to a "long fall" for me.

Oh...and we use the Alpha through Echo and Omega (public assist) response levels. Med unit WAS coming Omega from about 20 min drive time away.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Dec 27 2004, 07:05 PM
Yea..I know I have cussed a dispatcher or two...but sometimes its just the info they get. We ran a 60something year old lady who "fell out of her wheel chair and needed help back in." It was basically a public assist call. When we get there and find her, turns out she had driven her motorized wheel chair off her porch - which was about 5 feet high- had flipped it over, landed on her head with the chair on top of her. She said she had come home at about 1 pm that day, and we go the call at about 4 pm, when someone driving by happened to see her laying on the ground - they didn't bother to stop, just called 911 said a lady "fell out of her chair".

So doing the math real quick...5 ft high porch, seat of chair was about 2 1/2 feet off ground...came close enough to a "long fall" for me.

Oh...and we use the Alpha through Echo and Omega (public assist) response levels. Med unit WAS coming Omega from about 20 min drive time away.
Right, thats why I prefer to run lights to everything, except when I will have to waste time staging - I wouldn't ill myself getting to a shooting, stabbing, or emotional disorder when I always beat the local staties by 10 minutes or more.

But THATS why I like to run hot to public assists, granted, I don't run the same way I do for a Respritory, and I don't run the same way for a sick person at the nusiance nursing home at 2am vs. the trauma MVA at 2pm.

Anyway - long story short, NEVER completly trust your dispatchers.

Jon

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Dec 27 2004, 07:22 PM
Anyway - long story short, NEVER completly trust your dispatchers.

Jon
I think a better one would be:

NEVER trust the information given to your dispatcher.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Two counties I'm in, one is all plain language the other only PD uses 10 codes (other than 10-4) but it's helpfull to learn them.

What pisses me off is that all the dispatches use the idiotic NY Police (Adam Boy Charlie David Edward etc) phonetic alphabet instead of the international standard phonetic alphabet: (alpha bravo charlie delta echo etc). Get with the program!

rescuecpt

Originally posted by Summit@Dec 28 2004, 03:22 AM
Two counties I'm in, one is all plain language the other only PD uses 10 codes (other than 10-4) but it's helpfull to learn them.

What pisses me off is that all the dispatches use the idiotic NY Police (Adam Boy Charlie David Edward etc) phonetic alphabet instead of the international standard phonetic alphabet: (alpha bravo charlie delta echo etc). Get with the program!
That's weird. Even on long island we use the international standard phonetic alphabet. I thought NYPD was the only one who used the "other" one (and it take one to know one, Summit... just kidding. Sorta. Maybe.)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Summit@Dec 28 2004, 03:22 AM

So...As some have guessed, I work as a rent-a-cop / Site EMT. Because I've been doing this so long, I know the international ones by heart. One of my supervisors once accused me of using the wrong phonetics. I think he heard someone else say boy, edward, etc, and blamed me. So I use the internationally approved ones, always have, always do, and they are also, conviently what the county usually uses.

Jon

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
What is a Site EMT?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Dec 28 2004, 07:32 AM
What is a Site EMT?
An EMT who is employed by company to be a One-Man QRS service

(Basically, I get paid more and play security, then I jump into a guard booth and come out super-EMT)

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just had a vision....

You, in your little blue under-roos, black knee high boots, yellow t-shirt, with red cape blowing in the wind...EMT proudly displayed on your chest...hair slicked back, hands on hips, head slightly tilted....

Your motto

****Insert Deep Booming Voice here****
"Here or there...Near or Far - within the confines of my employment place - No Harm shall come to anyone! Paper Cuts, BEWARE!! Have no fear..EMT Guy is HERE!!" du du du duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO.......Oh god...I am KILLIMG myself today :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh and thanks for the clairification

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Dec 28 2004, 08:00 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just had a vision....

You, in your little blue under-roos, black knee high boots, yellow t-shirt, with red cape blowing in the wind...EMT proudly displayed on your chest...hair slicked back, hands on hips, head slightly tilted....

Your motto

****Insert Deep Booming Voice here****
"Here or there...Near or Far - within the confines of my employment place - No Harm shall come to anyone! Paper Cuts, BEWARE!! Have no fear..EMT Guy is HERE!!" du du du duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO.......Oh god...I am KILLIMG myself today :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh and thanks for the clairification
Close..........

ROFLMAO

Jon