Your opinion please.

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Colorado EMT -

Sorry, I would have responded sooner but I just saw this thread. My son is a high school wrestler. Needless to say, we see lots of injuries. I am lucky. Our county policy requires state certified athletic trainers at school sporting events. For Football, an ambulance is required staffed with adequate personnel. I have been on both sides of this both as provider and as a parent.

It is distressing as a parent to feel helpless when you know something was done wrong to your child. Makes you want to lose your temper. Please don't! The best thing you can do is keep a cool head. Your gonna need it for when you file a complaint against this person.

Make a formal written complaint with your EMT licensing or certification board at the state level. Also request that you be notified in writing of the action that will be taken against this person. You have connections - now is the time to use them! Find out from your superiors exactly how to go about the process so that there are no mistakes. The last thing you need is for him to be exonerated on a technicality.

PM me if you need to talk. I have to take care of some unfinished business in Colorado anyway.

Good Luck!
BTW - How is your daughter doing now? Let us know.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
No...

Never rely on your state EMS to take care of the problem. We broke protocols left & right, just b/c we knew PA wouldn't do anything about it. If you want your words to be heard, you need to do it in a court of law, through your attorney. While your at it, may as well sue his *** off and the school district for endangerment. A couple, ten million, ensure your child's future and education... New car(s), house, vacation, personal trainer, maybe her own sports team.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Sep 14 2005, 10:23 PM
While your at it, may as well sue his *** off and the school district for endangerment. A couple, ten million, ensure your child's future and education... New car(s), house, vacation, personal trainer, maybe her own sports team.
Yeah, because the damage he caused is worth millions. Whatever. If he would sue there would be no need for anything more than paying for the hospital bill and maybe a few grand for pain and suffering. Anything more is just wrong.

Summit

Critical Crazy
The guy said he was an EMT... from that point on he was bound to be one to the limits of the law.

Get the state one him. Sue and settle to be sure.

DFDEMS

Forum Crew Member
"I am an EMT"

"I stayed at a Holiday inn last night" (I think thats the commercial?)

When I get off of work I am the head french fry flipper at McDonalds as far as everyone else is concered..

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by Chimpie@Sep 14 2005, 10:16 PM

Yeah, because the damage he caused is worth millions. Whatever. If he would sue there would be no need for anything more than paying for the hospital bill and maybe a few grand for pain and suffering. Anything more is just wrong.
Did you see where that woman whose husband died from taking vioxx was awarded 234 million?

That kind of lawsuit outrages me. So did the woman who was awarded 1 mill for spilling the MCDonalds coffee on herself, and countless others. Sueing has become a novelty and a get-rich-quick sceme for so many people. I would THINK that the courts would have enough sense to give appropriate settlements for each situation and that when some dumbass can't hold a drink in thier hand they throw the case out. But apparently they don't.

It really pains me to watch the news anymore. I quit reading the paper. I've actually gotten physically ill when seeing some of the crap that come out now a days.

A lawsuit is for a person's protection and compensation when something happens to them that should not have happened. This jackass said Hey I'm da man I'm an EMT, then did the stupidest thing he could have done for that type of injury and took off. He definitely deserves some kind of reprimand, and should cover any extra charges that would have been incurred by his action. I am not saying you should get 10 mill, but I bet if you went to the right laywer, you could.

HotNoldEMTchick

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by Wingnut+Sep 14 2005, 11:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wingnut @ Sep 14 2005, 11:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Chimpie@Sep 14 2005, 10:16 PM

Did you see where that woman whose husband died from taking vioxx was awarded 234 million?

That kind of lawsuit outrages me. So did the woman who was awarded 1 mill for spilling the MCDonalds coffee on herself, and countless others. Sueing has become a novelty and a get-rich-quick sceme for so many people. I would THINK that the courts would have enough sense to give appropriate settlements for each situation and that when some dumbass can't hold a drink in thier hand they throw the case out. But apparently they don't.

It really pains me to watch the news anymore. I quit reading the paper. I've actually gotten physically ill when seeing some of the crap that come out now a days.

A lawsuit is for a person's protection and compensation when something happens to them that should not have happened. This jackass said Hey I'm da man I'm an EMT, then did the stupidest thing he could have done for that type of injury and took off. He definitely deserves some kind of reprimand, and should cover any extra charges that would have been incurred by his action. I am not saying you should get 10 mill, but I bet if you went to the right laywer, you could. [/b][/quote]
Or better yet.... where the woman sues the store because she tripped over a child and injured herself....and it turned out to be her own child she tripped over.... and she WON!!!

Or the burgler who broke into a families house.... was trapped in the garage for several days and almost starved to death... the burgler sued the family and won.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Originally posted by Chimpie+Sep 14 2005, 10:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ Sep 14 2005, 10:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> That kind of lawsuit outrages me... Sueing has become a novelty and a get-rich-quick sceme for so many people...

It really pains me to watch the news anymore. I quit reading the paper. I've actually gotten physically ill when seeing some of the crap that come out now a days.[/b]

My sentiments exactly.

<!--QuoteBegin-Chimpie

I would THINK that the courts would have enough sense to give appropriate settlements for each situation and that when some dumbass can't hold a drink in thier hand they throw the case out. But apparently they don't.[/quote]

Not with the lobbiests... remember, this is a massive source of income. The only guaranteed winner in any civil suit is the lawyers on both sides.

Our society has devolved to the point where virtually ever decision large and small has to have the consideration of "can I do this or is there a remote possibility that some greedy jerk with no sense of honor or responsibility will try to sue my pants off just to make a buck? Hmmm... I better call MY LAWYER to see if I should take the see-saws out of the playground."
Which is exactly what all the lawyers want. More business, more time, more money. There is no industry which supports the dissolution of personal responsiblity as much as civil suit lawyers. Without tort reform we are DOOMED. </soapbox>

I'll stop hijacking colorado's thread now.
I hope your kiddo heals fast.

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Ttlwhacker -

Let me tell you something - I am well aware that in PA, contacting the licensing board probably does no good. I don't know what kind of fly by night mess they have going on up there, but believe me - everyone that comes to my resort is a fireman and an EMT. And loves to tell us about it. It is insane. I am at the point now that I think they just give out EMT cards with birth certificates. (I know its not true, but it seems that way).

Too bad a few give everyone else a bad name. :ph34r:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ffemt8978+Sep 14 2005, 12:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ffemt8978 @ Sep 14 2005, 12:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MMiz@Sep 13 2005, 07:34 PM
Was he toned out for this call? Did he have a duty to act? I doubt it. He's acting in the capicity of a coach, not an EMT. At school I'm not even on the list of teachers that are trained for the AED. It's a liability thing.
The moment he announced himself as an EMT, he had a duty to respond and render care. If he would have said, "I know first aid, can I help?" then he wouldn't be facing possible abandoment charges. [/b][/quote]
Yep

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Margaritaville@Sep 18 2005, 07:27 PM
Ttlwhacker -

Let me tell you something - I am well aware that in PA, contacting the licensing board probably does no good. I don't know what kind of fly by night mess they have going on up there, but believe me - everyone that comes to my resort is a fireman and an EMT. And loves to tell us about it. It is insane. I am at the point now that I think they just give out EMT cards with birth certificates. (I know its not true, but it seems that way).

Too bad a few give everyone else a bad name. :ph34r:
unfortunatly... too true.

OP
OP
coloradoemt

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Thank you all for your responses. Latest of the news is as far as the Ortho Doc can tell it is at least not a full tear. Swelling was not down enough for him on fri to do an mri. So that looks promising. Thank you all for your well wishes.

I do have a meeting upon the request of his medical advisor tommorrow. This should be interesting.

Will keep you all informed as new info comes along, and as long as there is interest. I suppose, allthough I hope not, that what I am going through may become a helpfull guide for other parents.

Hope everyone is doing well, be safe, gotta go on a call...

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Well It sounds like she's not too bad, I'm glad things are looking up. Keep us updated!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Chimpie+Sep 14 2005, 10:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ Sep 14 2005, 10:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Sep 14 2005, 10:23 PM
While your at it, may as well sue his *** off and the school district for endangerment. A couple, ten million, ensure your child's future and education... New car(s), house, vacation, personal trainer, maybe her own sports team.
Yeah, because the damage he caused is worth millions. Whatever. If he would sue there would be no need for anything more than paying for the hospital bill and maybe a few grand for pain and suffering. Anything more is just wrong. [/b][/quote]
<hits monkey with the newspaper>

I was being sarcastic.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Sep 19 2005, 01:13 PM

I'm going to sic PETA on you!!!

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Sep 19 2005, 12:13 PM
Are you actually allowed to spank that monkey????

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by EMTPrincess+Sep 19 2005, 01:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (EMTPrincess @ Sep 19 2005, 01:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Sep 19 2005, 12:13 PM
Are you actually allowed to spank that monkey???? [/b][/quote]
No you did not... Don't even go there
icon13.gif