You can speed and won't get in trouble

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
That's assuming that there are a signficant (note: "significant" means enough to have an impact and can be a handful of cars) number of people going a significant speed below the person going 100. As a for instance, despite the speed limit being 65, how many cars do you think are both on the road and going anywhere near the speed limit on this stretch of road going between Oceanside and San Clemente at, say, 11:00 at night. The answer is what few cars are on that road are going, at a minimum, 80 mph. Hence, there's not that big of a risk going 90 or 100.

JP as one who makes this stretch of road a regular occurrence especially during the summer month I can vouch that you are correct very rarely do you run into someone that is going less than eighty and at that time of night I can not remember the last time I ran into someone going the actual speed limit on that stretch of road.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
Worth bearing in mind that velocity is a far more important factor than mass when considering impact forces. Granted a Kia is far from a quality automotive, but if you're hitting a significantly heavier object (like a tree, or planet earth) at warp 9 the mass of the vehicle you're in becomes less and less important.

Nice big vehicles like SUVs are great when you're playing pool with other vehicles, but there's not much of a survival benefit when you're playing with high speeds and fixed objects.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Worth bearing in mind that velocity is a far more important factor than mass when considering impact forces. Granted a Kia is far from a quality automotive, but if you're hitting a significantly heavier object (like a tree, or planet earth) at warp 9 the mass of the vehicle you're in becomes less and less important.

Nice big vehicles like SUVs are great when you're playing pool with other vehicles, but there's not much of a survival benefit when you're playing with high speeds and fixed objects.
Umm...I thought Force=Mass x Acceleration. Kinetic Energy = Mass x Velocity x Velocity. Work = Force x Distance.

So while velocity is more important in regards to the energies involved, mass is more equally important when it comes to force and worl.

Last edited by a moderator:

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
Perhaps my physics is a little rusty :huh:

The kinetic energy present at the beginning of the collision will of course be used to do work. The magnitude of applied forces will depend on the mass of the object considered and its deceleration. Which is going to depend on how quickly the object is stopped, and how fast it was travelling initially.

Maybe I'm just digging myself a bigger hole. Maybe if I write the university nicely they'll give me the money back for those physics courses I seem to have forgotten :)