You can speed and won't get in trouble

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
Sounds to me like a legal precedent has been set.

Slippery slope

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I once got out of a speeding ticket by proving that I was within the margin of error for the radar gun the state police uses.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Its all about the outcome.

JPINFV

Gadfly
With out knowing about the road or traffic conditions, I can't really say anything. Heck, I've hit 105ish in a 65 before, but there's no reason that stretch of road should be in the 60's anyways, plus it was late at night with no traffic.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
With out knowing about the road or traffic conditions, I can't really say anything. Heck, I've hit 105ish in a 65 before, but there's no reason that stretch of road should be in the 60's anyways, plus it was late at night with no traffic.

Agreed.

Am I endangering anyone going 45 in the very straight, very flat, 2 lane road that's a 35mph zone at 0300 on a clear night? Nope.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Agreed.

Am I endangering anyone going 45 in the very straight, very flat, 2 lane road that's a 35mph zone at 0300 on a clear night? Nope.

45 in a 35 is alot different from 102 in a 55.

Those speeds relate to instant death to anyone in that car and anything that car may imapct.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

Those speeds relate to instant death to anyone in that car and anything that car may imapct.

As the closest thing to an injury epidemiologist this forum has, I'd like to point out that it's not "instant death". Yeah, there's a near 100% morbidity and a very high mortality rate but there is far more that goes into predicting survivability than simply "above X everyone is dead" when it comes to motor vehicle crashes.

JPINFV

Gadfly

That's assuming that there are a signficant (note: "significant" means enough to have an impact and can be a handful of cars) number of people going a significant speed below the person going 100. As a for instance, despite the speed limit being 65, how many cars do you think are both on the road and going anywhere near the speed limit on this stretch of road going between Oceanside and San Clemente at, say, 11:00 at night. The answer is what few cars are on that road are going, at a minimum, 80 mph. Hence, there's not that big of a risk going 90 or 100.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
As the closest thing to an injury epidemiologist this forum has, I'd like to point out that it's not "instant death". Yeah, there's a near 100% morbidity and a very high mortality rate but there is far more that goes into predicting survivability than simply "above X everyone is dead" when it comes to motor vehicle crashes.

Im pretty sure doing over 100mph in a Kia is going to result in instant death 100% of the time. :)

My defense would have been its a Kia it can possibly go over 100mph. :)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Im pretty sure doing over 100mph in a Kia is going to result in instant death 100% of the time

I'm pretty sure that belief makes you wrong and changing the nature of your statement to make it more plausible makes you look like a weasel. I'll give you that Kias aren't the strongest cars on the planet but can you back up your little contention with something other than supposition?

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm pretty sure that belief makes you wrong and changing the nature of your statement to make it more plausible makes you look like a weasel. I'll give you that Kias aren't the strongest cars on the planet but can you back up your little contention with something other than supposition?

The smiley face commonly denotes humor.

That statement wasnt made in relation to the original.

nakenyon

Forum Crew Member
Im pretty sure doing over 100mph in a Kia is going to result in instant death 100% of the time. :)

My defense would have been its a Kia it can possibly go over 100mph. :)

Formerly, I would have believed that a Kia couldn't possibly do over 100. That was until a friend of mine took me for a 114 mph ride in his Kia Optima. :)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
That's one of the reasons I love being in a small town. I know a lot of the officers here. And am really close friends with a couple. So if I do get pulled over I just get a verbal warning (probably because I don't do stupid stuff). Ive been pulled over by an officer just to get invited to a party and the normal conversations.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The smiley face commonly denotes humor.

That statement wasnt made in relation to the original.

My apologies. That's what I get for reading the forums when I'm tired and withdrawing from caffeine (day #3 and counting).

Asimurk

Forum Captain
Terminal velocity of a human, according to Wikipedia, is 117-125MPH. Any parachuters ever hit the ground and survived after a failed deployment?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Terminal velocity of a human, according to Wikipedia, is 117-125MPH. Any parachuters ever hit the ground and survived after a failed deployment?

Yes. We had one. It was very, very ugly, but he lived for a couple of weeks.

Somehow, he spun in on his legs, dug a hole up to his knees, and didn't break every single bone in his body. Most of them, but he was alive for a good while, and talking for the whole ride in to the hospital.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Yup, it's not common but it does happen. The major deciding factors seem to be what you hit and the angle at which you strike it. There are documented human survivals of impact forces in excess of 200 g, mostly in the racing community (simply because they have the data from the car's to prove the amount of force involved).

AndyK

Forum Crew Member
Speed is safe, it's the sudden stop that hurts! B)