Wrist pain and lifting

Amycus

Forum Lieutenant
Hi everyone. Before someone says it, I'm not looking for medical advice, more just opinions from others in this field.

3 weeks ago I twisted my right wrist on a call. Been icing it and immobilizing it and ended up going to occupational health a couple times, and an orthopedic doctor twice, who just cleared me for work (I'm back today, woohoo). Xrays were taken, and it was diagnosed as a wrist sprain. However, I'm still getting a sharp, burning pain in my wrist (mostly on the back and medial side) when I lift the stretcher. This only hurts when I lift underhand. Using proper form as far as I know, but my wrist has issues bearing the weight. The ortho said the burning and pain is a side effect of the sprain and I have a follow up in 4 weeks, but I'm genuinely worried about getting a patient that is a bit too heavy and/or another issue other than a sprain.

Anyone with prior experience with an injury like this have some experience? Nonstop googling has got me nowhere. I'm not sure if I'm being a hypochondriac or if I should seek a second opinion. I trust most of the posters here and since we all work in the same field...what would you guys do?

Thanks all

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Ask him about a possible ulnar issue. I'm currently dealing with something similar that is caused by pressure on the ulnar nerve as it leaves the thoracic outlet. I think working in EMS has made it worse. I'm currently doing phys therapy for it that is helping.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Pt: "Hey doc, it hurts when I do this".

Doc: "Then don't do that".

If it hurts lifting underhand, then start lifting over hand.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

From the description here it sounds reinjured.

Probably needs re looked at, and a longer rehab/recovery time.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
From the description here it sounds reinjured.

Probably needs re looked at, and a longer rehab/recovery time.

In the meantime, don't lift underhanded. Lift overhand.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

:rofl:

bigbaldguy

In the meantime, don't lift underhanded. Lift overhand.

This is excellent advice. I learned that part of my problem is that I always lifted, pulled, carried, ect in the same way and repetitive motion can lead to problems. Just remember that lifting with your palm facing down gives you a weaker grip then with palm facing up and allow for it.

bigbaldguy

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Get back to the doc and say "it still hurts and it is " whatever.

Tell the therapist it still hurts.

Vary your grip, good advice. Try wearing gloves (leather ones) when you lift, the greater traction reduces necessary grip strength on smooth surfaces.
Overhand lift, if you find it more of a bother, is less strong (using little finger muscles/tendons and not big carpals).As you know, sprains usually leave you prone to reinjury. Maybe this is your cue to begin looking down the road for brain and not a brawn job?