Would you recommend emt b/paramedic as a career to anyone?

spraded

Forum Probie
I am having a hard time deciding whether I should make the jump to become a EMT B and eventually a paramedic. I have a few options Im looking at but, in the medical field, Ive narrowed it down to EMT-B/P or Respiratory Therapist(or RN, but thats another story..).

My situation right now is foggy so whatever I decide, that will be that as far as schooling goes. Paramedic intrigues me due to the hands on aspect of the job. But the cons is definitely working so many hours to make a decent living(56 hour week, Ive heard..). Also, just getting a job in the field seems like a huge step, even at the basic level.

RT, as silly as this sounds, interest me because I have the chance to help people without (mostly) having direct contact with patients. Most of the RTs I have talked with at work say that they have fun at what they do, compared to RNs who are ballistic and running around all the time. Working 3 or 4 shifts per week is another pro and, as mentioned, the stress isnt high so you dont come home exhausted.

I know this isnt a career advice forum but Im stumped at what to do, to be honest. Right now, Im taking my general education classes for an AS in RT but Im far away from that goal. Theres also other options outside the medical field I enjoy(IT and criminal justice) but the medical field is the hot zone and I work in a hospital right now so why not stay here...

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
I wouldn't recommend it as a career path for anyone. The pay is normally low, the work conditions rough, the mental and physical tolls high.

I would recommend doing some rides or getting your EMT (minimum investment) and trying it out a little.

You'll know if it's right for you or not. If it is for you, you'll look past alot of the stuff I listed earlier. I'd consider it more of a calling.

If you enjoy working in the hospital, prefer less direct patient contact, and want a decent paycheck - stick with the RT path.

IAems

Forum Crew Member
I LOVE this job

Two days ago I was inside an upside down car with an altered pregnant woman. Over the weekend, while dispatching, I talked a woman into giving me her address, which she didn't want to do, so I could get an ambulance to her unconscious friend who was most likely experiencing an accidental overdose. Yesterday, I talked down a psychiatric patient who was screaming at the top of their lungs when I arrived, and, by the end of the transport was thanking me at the ER. Today, I rerouted to the nearest ER with a hypovolemic patient who'd been bleeding out for hours because of a GI Bleed and was probably a few minutes from dead. I LOVE MY JOB!

On that note, be advised, you will be paid horribly. Unlike RT's, EMT's don't go to school to get paid more. EMT's go to school to have a really cool job.

Ecgg

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with what AlphaButch said.

Get your Basic and start to volunteer. You can't go wrong, you will get direct patient care, and patient assessment skills. You will see what Paramedics do, Nurses do, when you transfer patient care. Perhaps other health care providers you may encounter while in the hospital.

I think Basic is a great tool for anyone going into healthcare. Spend you time proactively, learning and asking questions. You will find what it is you really want to do.

Symbolic

Forum Crew Member
Agreed with all that's been said. Have you considered doing a ride along with an EMS organization or a Fire Department? I can tell you that even though I have been fortunate enough to have grown up around the fire service and already had a general idea of what goes on, it wasn't until I actually did a ride along that I realized just how awesome this profession is. The pay definitely is not great, but you get to be apart of something incredible.

I noticed you are also considering being a Nurse, which is awesome and Pays almost double what you would be making in EMS. If you factor in the semester long EMT class and the year long Paramedic class, you would have basically achieved an associates degree in nursing. But as you already mentioned EMS and nursing are definitely two different beasts..

I think taking an EMT class is the first step. There are usually mandatory ER clinical hours that will expose you to the hospital world and might change your mind on nursing for the better or worst. You might also find that EMS might not be for you after completing the coarse, in which case you can cut your loses and scratch EMS off the list.

m0nster986

B.S, Paramedic, FF
You have to be born to do EMS, and if your mind and heart is not in it 110% you will get burnt and stressed out quick! It seems to me, you might be better off being a RT.

Last edited by a moderator:

nerdyEMS

Forum Ride Along
Def go for your EMT. My class was only 5 months ish, cost about $600, and certainly gets your foot thru the door for many otherwise promising careers. Nursing schools in my area actually require it as a pre req. Working in the truck is fun & interesting, but can't imagine people making careers being a basic. It certainly takes a toll on your life & body.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
An Ambulance Officer is many things however broadly speaking it is 98% people management, 1.9% fundamental praxis and 0.1% advanced care.

Most of the jobs you will go to are acute exacerbations of chronic disease (angina, heart disease, asthma/COPD, diabetes, renal failure etc) and are not glamorous or exciting. Despite what your poorly written textbook tells you, most patients are not in an immediate threat to life. There is nothing exciting about attempting to resuscitate somebody in cardiac arrest on the floor of their home with the family watching you when you know full well there are overwhelming odds he is going to stay dead. There is nothing exciting about having to tell that persons family their loved one is dead and Brown finds it an incredibly undignified way to die.

Many Americans it seems are "trauma junkies" well trauma is a horrible disease which has a profoundly devastating effect on society. There is nothing "cool" about assessing and treating somebody who amputated his arm with a rotary saw and may never be able to use it properly meaning he can't work and support his family any longer or going to a road traffic accident where the occupants have died meaning their families are going to forever be burdened with grief, anger and the untold emotional pressure of loosing a loved one.

Do you have an interest in talking with people and building meaningful rapport with them in order to provide care? Do you have an interest in biology, chemistry and the inner workings of the body as they relate to physiologic and pathophysiologic states? Do you have an interest in continuing education? Do you think you are able to relate well to people in different circumstances and situations? Do you work well with others?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Many Americans it seems are "trauma junkies" well trauma is a horrible disease which has a profoundly devastating effect on society. There is nothing "cool" about assessing and treating somebody who amputated his arm with a rotary saw and may never be able to use it properly meaning he can't work and support his family any longer or going to a road traffic accident where the occupants have died meaning their families are going to forever be burdened with grief, anger and the untold emotional pressure of loosing a loved one.
Says the man whose life's goal is to be jumping out of a helicopter wearing a bright orange jumpsuit with DOCTOR on his back in big bold letters

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Says the man whose life's goal is to be jumping out of a helicopter wearing a bright orange jumpsuit with DOCTOR on his back in big bold letters

But to be fair, most of the trauma will be happening to Brown, so that is ok. I think... ;)

medictruth

Forum Crew Member
I would not give up being a Paramedic for anything. The satisfaction alone drives me. Yes the pay isnt the best, but Im not here for the pay. Its all about what you have a passion for. Look deep and go with your passion.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
And how much of that goes into your pocket after taxes? $0.40?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's interesting that this always comes up. I can't speak for Canada, but in Australia I pay pretty much the same personal tax as someone in America. (Link) Some categories pay a little more, some a little less than the OECD-30 average

Now, my gross base salary is about AU$87 000 (and I am by no means at the top end of the scale), prior to any overtime, which works out at about US$92 000. Not only that, but because I am employed in a public service, I pay less tax than most, dropping my taxable income by $17 500 (so I only actually pay tax on on AU$69500, which lowers my tax bracket)

In terms of lifestyle, I have no idea how to compare that. I own my own home (valued at around AU$700 000), I have an investment property worth around $400 000, I own my own car (European, and replaced every three years) and I holiday overseas a couple of times a year (my last trip was to Thailand, and before that 3 weeks skiing in New Zealand. Next year is 8 weeks skiing in Canada)

Admittedly it is not all beer and skittles. To have this kind of income and lifestyle I have to make sacrifices. I had to get my Bachelors Degree, my Pot-Graduate Diploma (paid for by my employer), and I've nearly knocked off my Masters Degree. It takes around 7 years to become a Paramedic here, although I was paid for all of that.

I also work a terrible roster of 2 x 10 hour days, followed by 2 x 14 hour ghts, followed by 4 days off. I have to put up with having a minimum of 10 hours off between shifts (or I get paid triple time), and paid meal breaks while on shift (plus allowances if they get interrupted)
I also only get 10.5 weeks paid annual leave every year (paid at base rate, plus 17%, that's a bit rude!) and superannuation contributions from my employer that match mine up to 8% of my income.

No doubt this all sucks by US standards, but I'm bearing up under the strain...

So yes, I pay some tax, and that funds such horrifying communistic things like universal health care, but that's ok by me, I'm a big tree hugging hippy, and believe that part of living in a civilzed society is looking after those less fortunate than oneself.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
As for the original poster's question, Mr Brown pretty much nailed it. At least down-under we practice medicine as part of the health system. Occassionally that is exciting and/or bloody terrifying (very occassionally), usually it is hard work, but most of the time it is rewarding.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
And how much of that goes into your pocket after taxes? $0.40?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year at my non ems job I made 30000 and I had 3600 taken off in income tax and another 1500 for cpp and ei contributions so it would have been about 25000 take home. My income tax refund was 1100 this year. Another difference here in Canada are lottery/gaming winnings. Here in Canada lottery/gaming winnings are not taxable only the bank interest made off of it is. Whereas in the USA all winnings from what I understand are taxable.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
But to be fair, most of the trauma will be happening to Brown, so that is ok. I think... ;)

Brown has suffered much trauma yes, and most of it mental ....

It's interesting that this always comes up. I can't speak for Canada, but in Australia I pay pretty much the same personal tax as someone in America.

Brown pays about 30% of Brown's income in tax and that is also the same for an IC who gets paid more, we are in the same tax bracket.

Now, my gross base salary is about AU$87 000 (and I am by no means at the top end of the scale), prior to any overtime, which works out at about US$92 000. Not only that, but because I am employed in a public service, I pay less tax than most, dropping my taxable income by $17 500 (so I only actually pay tax on on AU$69500, which lowers my tax bracket)

You're a scrote mate, Brown is bloody jealous, as Brown earns about half of that, and thats in Kiwi Pesos. Mind you Brown is only a has-been vocationally skilled Intermediate Care Officer.
[/quote]

... and before that 3 weeks skiing in New Zealand.

And you didn't stop to come help poor Brown went smack and ski'd into the side of the ski lodge? Useless lout you are!
[/quote]

I also work a terrible roster of 2 x 10 hour days, followed by 2 x 14 hour ghts, followed by 4 days off..

Brown works an awful, awful roster that leaves Brown fatigued and saying foul things at the end of jobs. Most of time Brown just doesn't care because Brown is lost in some sort of brain fog.

As for the original poster's question, Mr Brown pretty much nailed it. At least down-under we practice medicine as part of the health system. Occassionally that is exciting and/or terrifying (very occassionally), usually it is hard work, but most of the time it is rewarding.

Agreed, it's bloody hard work, but its also very rewarding. Brown regularly gets abused or lashed out at, has had people try to shoot Brown, has gotten black eyes .... but if even one little old Nana tells Brown "oh thanks love you are a dear, here have a cup of tea" it's worth it.

Smash might agree but have you noticed Nana is getting pretty friggin cheap and not giving out tea or scones as of late and instead asking you take out the trash rather than whipping out the bikkie tin?

Bloody hell is a cuppa and some bikkies to much to ask for? :D

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
I would absolutely never recommend it to anyone as a career in the US.

The pay is low.
The respect for education is low.
The career path choices are virtually non-existent.
The physical demands are high.
I don't like most of my coworkers, but that's a personal issue -- I'm a stereotypical NPR-listener working with stereotypical country-music-listeners.

RT/RN is a MUCH better choice. You can get the same level of job satisfaction & healthcare fix with much better conditions, opportunities, etc.

As a college job for someone interested in healthcare, though, I love it! I've worked in two different large cities and had no problem finding part-time jobs (no benefits) that will work around my schedule, let me get medical experience, and pay more than other flexible jobs.

If you have the financial ability and aren't overwhelmed by your current courses, I'd highly recommend getting your EMT-B. You could also consider becoming a CNA (nursing assistant), but I think EMT is the more enjoyable grunt-level job.