Would you recommend emt b/paramedic as a career to anyone?

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Simple facts

1. If you are worried about money EMS is not for you.
2. If you do not feel EMS is the most important part of PT care EMS is not for you.
3. If you have trouble deciding if EMS is right for you EMS is not for you.
4. If you enjoy being a hero EMS is not for you.
5. If you think trauma is fun EMS is not for you.
6. If you think there are people in this world that are beneath you EMS is not for you.
7. If you do not like people EMS is not for you.
8. If you like being off on weekends EMS is not for you.
9. If you think EMS is public safety please go away because EMS is not for you.
10. If you think EMS is a stepping stone to other opportunities EMS is not for you.

With all of that said I love being in EMS. I truly believe EMS is the most important part of PT care and never had a doubt in my mind this is what I wanted to do. I have worked 911, IFT and for a private Chemical Plant. I have never complained about the hours and really don't care if I am on nights or days. I look forward to going in each and every day and have been doing this for over 20 years. It bothers me to see people get into this field and think it is a stepping stone. Don't waste your time if this is not what you plan to do for the rest of your career. We have such a high turnover because of that exact reason. Too many people getting certified and not knowing what they are getting into. It takes a lot for me to recommend someone becoming an EMT or Medic. They have to show me they have a true dedication to helping others and everything else does not matter.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Simple facts

1. If you are worried about money EMS is not for you.
2. If you do not feel EMS is the most important part of PT care EMS is not for you.
4. If you enjoy being a hero EMS is not for you.
5. If you think trauma is fun EMS is not for you.
6. If you think there are people in this world that are beneath you EMS is not for you.
7. If you do not like people EMS is not for you.
8. If you like being off on weekends EMS is not for you.
9. If you think EMS is public safety please go away because EMS is not for you.
10. If you think EMS is a stepping stone to other opportunities EMS is not for you.

I agree with you. As to number 9 the Government of Canada years ago declared EMS to be public safety. With that note at the same time they declared air traffic controllers to be public safety.

motivation15

Forum Ride Along
if you want a job where your working because its what you love to do and your not doing it for the money then go for it!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I know a woman who loves having sex, she happens to be a prostitute/hooker, and considers that her job, since she does it for the money

so I think I just poked a gaping hole in your argument

m0nster986

B.S, Paramedic, FF
Simple facts

With all of that said I love being in EMS. I truly believe EMS is the most important part of PT care and never had a doubt in my mind this is what I wanted to do. I have worked 911, IFT and for a private Chemical Plant. I have never complained about the hours and really don't care if I am on nights or days. I look forward to going in each and every day and have been doing this for over 20 years. It bothers me to see people get into this field and think it is a stepping stone. Don't waste your time if this is not what you plan to do for the rest of your career. We have such a high turnover because of that exact reason. Too many people getting certified and not knowing what they are getting into. It takes a lot for me to recommend someone becoming an EMT or Medic. They have to show me they have a true dedication to helping others and everything else does not matter.

Bingo! I could not have stated it better.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I know a woman who loves having sex, she happens to be a prostitute/hooker, and considers that her job, since she does it for the money

so I think I just poked a gaping hole in your argument

And how did you, erm, meet this woman?

:wacko:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk