Would Santa be a difficult tube?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
He'd for sure be tough to bag, using BONES as a predictor of difficult BVM ventilation:

Beard
Obese
No teeth (can't tell through the beard)
Elderly
Snores (I'd bet. Ask an elf.)

bad_santa1291140712-300x284.jpg

Hard to get a CPAP seal, too.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
He'd for sure be tough to bag, using BONES as a predictor of difficult BVM ventilation:

Beard
Obese
No teeth (can't tell through the beard)
Elderly
Snores (I'd bet. Ask an elf.)

bad_santa1291140712-300x284.jpg

Hard to get a CPAP seal, too.

Let's try LEMONS:
L: Certainly a thick beard, but no obvious bull neck or tongue enlargement, trach, etc.

E: Normal mouth opening, normal hyomental distance, and normal thyromental distance....

M: Not sure, I'll have to take a look the next time he "Ho! Ho! Hos!", but given his neck circumfrence (and likeleyhood of OSA), I'd guess at least a class 3.

O: No obvious obstructions, but perhaps his Hos are an effort to clear his throat....?

N: I believe his neck is mobile, but again, wide.

S: No obvious stiff lungs; Space dependent on where we find him...

So...? Possibly difficult?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Time to use that coupon for one free electroshock therapy session. Thanks. Thanks so very much.:wacko:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Actual question: can/have you shave(d) a patient with a beard?

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Actual question: can/have you shave(d) a patient with a beard?

Can you? Sure why not. I never have. The ER has those fancy medical grade shavers that would work well but we don't carry anything other than a crappy disposable razor.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Can you? Sure why not. I never have. The ER has those fancy medical grade shavers that would work well but we don't carry anything other than a crappy disposable razor.

We have some fancy shavers too. I haven't needed to shave anything except chests before, but I suppose I'll report back if I get the opportunity to assassinate a beard.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
We have some fancy shavers too. I haven't needed to shave anything except chests before, but I suppose I'll report back if I get the opportunity to assassinate a beard.
I feel like that would be as sacrilegious as cutting a biker's leathers... :lol:

EMT856

Forum Probie
For the CPAP, shave the face with a handy dandy sterile electric trimmer