Would benadryl help anaphylaxis any?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Grabbing the books...
Mayo: antihistamines such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl), isn't sufficient to treat anaphylaxis. These medications can help relieve allergy symptoms, but work too slowly in a severe reaction.
* Non intervention - therapeutic
* Contraindicated - may complicate further diagnosis and treatment
* Contraindicated - may cause sedation/somnolence/sleepiness, drowsiness, unsteadiness, dizziness,
headache, attention disturbance
* Contraindicated - may cause tremors or convulsions
* Contraindicated - may cause gastrointestinal disturbance, nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress
* Contraindicated - may cause palpitations, hypotension, arrhythmia, tachycardia
* Hypersensitivity - may cause angioedema, anaphylactic shock

Of course, a lay person can administer anything that comes to hand but a person trained in trauma intervention should not go here.

Respiratory crisis: Gasping for breath. Unable to speak. Respirations have become mostly ineffective.
Tracheotomy. All else fails/unavailable. Keys have been used. Soft metal easily sharpened on a rock. Two small round sticks side by side are sufficient to keep the airway open and provide an air passage.

My personal take. Going into the wilderness means always carrying a first aid kit and the $50 insurance policy:
KZA3PPq.jpg

MuaC7Y7.jpg

So, we've gone from a hypothetical case about a wilderness emergency with limited resources to an illustrated lecture on the dangers of diphenhydramine. Would it be okay if we rolled the tape back to the pretend part of this topic and ditched the Mayo Clinic caveats? Better yet, I'm going to agree with the comment about a thread off the rails and try to find something more constructive to do, like deworming the dog.

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
So, we've gone from a hypothetical case about a wilderness emergency with limited resources to an illustrated lecture on the dangers of diphenhydramine.
No. The OP specifically uses the words "antihistamine pills", "Benadryl" and "anaphylaxis". I read right out of the books regarding the use of diphenhydramine, Benadryl, in the event of an anaphylactic episode.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Maybe if we don't feed it, it will go back under the bridgr

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
Are you seriously advocating for a first responder to operate outside their scope practice and training?
Quick question. What do you think that responder should do?

Last edited:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Quick question. What do you think that responder should do?

I have no issue with those that are properly trained and equipped performing the procedure when indicated. My issue is that First Responders do not fall into that category.

I expect them to realize that they are not a doctor, they they legally are not allowed to practice medicine like one, that they can't save everyone, and remember that Good Samaritan laws generally don't cover what is viewed as an advanced or surgical procedure.

I understand that where you are the rules are different, but you need to remember that the rules have changed here in the US since you left. Many members on this forum have fought for years to rid EMS of the wild west mentality that you are advocating.

But hey, if you want to go to prison for years, and lose everything you own to lawsuits that is your choice but please don't encourage our newer members into believing this type of attitude is allowed or even encouraged in today's world.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I have no issue with those that are properly trained and equipped performing the procedure when indicated. My issue is that First Responders do not fall into that category.

I expect them to realize that they are not a doctor, they they legally are not allowed to practice medicine like one, that they can't save everyone, and remember that Good Samaritan laws generally don't cover what is viewed as an advanced or surgical procedure.

I understand that where you are the rules are different, but you need to remember that the rules have changed here in the US since you left. Many members on this forum have fought for years to rid EMS of the wild west mentality that you are advocating.

But hey, if you want to go to prison for years, and lose everything you own to lawsuits that is your choice but please don't encourage our newer members into believing this type of attitude is allowed or even encouraged in today's world.

Even individuals well educated in anatomy and the practice of medicine have a hard time reliably identifying the cricothyroid membrane. So its going to be much much worse for a first responder not trained specifically in it...