Working outside of EMS, should I continue to hold onto my EMT certification?

Kirstin Veller

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I’m Kirstin. I work as a school mental health worker and I got my EMT before I got into mental health. I’ve held the certification and done the CE thus far, should I continue or let it lapse? I don’t anticipate going “back” to EMS soon, and the CE can get in the way with current responsibilities... Pros/cons? Help?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I believe that @NomadicMedic said this once before, but it's easier to keep a cert than to reobtain it...

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Yes. Unless you are absolutely certain that there’s no way you will ever get back into EMS, keep it.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
You can recertify by exam instead of doing CE. This costs like $100 but saves you time and hassle.

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
I'd say it all depends on your interests and financial status. Do you have the money and time to take CE classes? But more importantly, does emergency medicine still interest you? If you even slightly think that you would ever regret letting it lapse, keep it. I personally would keep it.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Check with your local hospitals, especially the teaching ones, as well as any aeromedical services in your area. I am a bit of a training nut, and can tell you from personal experience that all the necessary CEUs you may want or need can be had for little to no cost to you*

*there are some classes that you may want to pay for. ETLS, Mental Health First Aid, etc. These also help for your current job.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
a buddy of mine had been an EMT for years, and once he was hired as a cop, he decided to let his EMT lapse. the DOH actually investigated a complaint that was filed against him, and he simply ignored their requests. His thinking was, "I don't need my EMT for my job, have no plans on keeping it up, so what's the worst they can do? take away my EMT that I have no intention of ever using?" In fact, the only reason he actually complied with the investigation was because they contacted his new employer, who ordered him to go down (on company time) and assist with the investigation.

So if you have 0 plans of ever doing anything in EMS ever in the future, or anything that would require you to be an EMT, ever again, let it lapse.

I recently let my NJ EMT lapse (after having it for 15 or so years)..... but I also have 0 plans that would require me to be a NJ EMT since I moved to NC. But if there is a chance you might need it in the future, than I would keep it up, provided it doesn't interfere with your current full time job. It's much easier to keep it than to get it once it's expired.