Working in Qatar

Will980

Forum Probie
Qatar?

Hey,

I have read all of the form about working in Qatar including your experience. I was wondering if they gave you a reason as to why they cancelled your contract to work over there. This is something I have considered pursuing but your experience has definitely made me rethink going through the process with them. Since I have your attention, can you describe what the process was that you had to go through to get as far as you did?

Thanks, Will

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hey Will, I was dropped due to an issue in credentialing, because I went back to university to complete a degree on campus (overseas) it created a 1 year gap in employment, and this was the reason they dropped me (in a nut shell). However, they hired me 9 months earlier. I had to pay to fly to Las Vegas to interview with them (required), and about $1000 in fee's for paper work and visa process, and I declined other contracts and offers of employment. I got all my paperwork authenticated by the Qatar embassy and US government, signed my preliminary contract and recruitment offer, was done with everything required for a visa, then they decided to wait over 9 months and tell me my recruitment offer was canceled the same month I was suppose to start work. At this point, it was an extreme hardship for me, I had no job and no place to live because of them. I would not have been as upset if they would have given proper notice.

Will980

Forum Probie
I appreciate you responding. I would be upset with them as well. Hopefully you have found something even better.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hey Will, I did :)
I wish all you guys the best of luck with Hamad and Qatar, the money is great. However, I am sure everyone who reads this can see why I have an axe to grind and also why I caution people when dealing with them. It's really all I can do...

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Hey Will, I did :)
I wish all you guys the best of luck with Hamad and Qatar, the money is great. However, I am sure everyone who reads this can see why I have an axe to grind and also why I caution people when dealing with them. It's really all I can do...

Understood, that's BS handling. Unprofessional at best and if it was a problem it should have been addressed immediately. Not left to linger forever.

But hey, any other leads? :)

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ya I got a job in UAE, feel free to PM me for details if anyone is interested.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Got the formal offer today. From the advertised salary, about half as actual salary and the other half split up into allowances.

Standard? An actual salary of $46k or so isn't as awesome when the fiancée would be living here and working... (Monthly: 16600qrs salary, 1250qrs transportation allowance, 8000qrs special allowance, 4150 market allowance.)

From people there, OT available? Looking to pay off old debt from taking care of a grandmother and the fiancées purchase of a house in the bubble...

Having to carry an M4/G17 is sounding better.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Offer from? Hamad?

m4ttjabz

Forum Probie
Anyone who received an offer from Hamad feel like the process is taking forever? So far I've signed and submitted my official offer, signed forms about testing and investigating educational background and have submitted scans of my diplomas/ certs. This was over a month ago and when I email the recruiter they tell me HR takes a while to do their part...

Anyone else in the same boat?

-Matt

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Same boat. Don't quite understand it, but hey...

Have tons of real certs and company references for over 5 years, just give me 30 days notice to get on the plane - two weeks for my job, and two weeks for family & all.

Anyone who received an offer from Hamad feel like the process is taking forever? So far I've signed and submitted my official offer, signed forms about testing and investigating educational background and have submitted scans of my diplomas/ certs. This was over a month ago and when I email the recruiter they tell me HR takes a while to do their part...

Anyone else in the same boat?

-Matt

m4ttjabz

Forum Probie
Yeah, well, I guess I'm just not used to this process taking so long. The last job I worked overseas (Iraq) took only a couple of weeks to get everything done, including the full medical/ dental exams and tests. The part that took the longest was the Visa paperwork, which we haven't even begun with Hamad. I'm guessing if this job does work out, it could be another 6 months until we actually fly over there...

-Matt

dutemplar

Forum Captain
I get that feeling too. And they're still advertising 13 vacancies to fill.

Have passport, 20 year medic plus fire rescue hazmat and a vet. I'm willing to go where ever that isn't stupid. I don't care to reapply for a security clearance after all these years. Most of my teachers are retired now and don't need bothered :)

Yeah, well, I guess I'm just not used to this process taking so long. The last job I worked overseas (Iraq) took only a couple of weeks to get everything done, including the full medical/ dental exams and tests. The part that took the longest was the Visa paperwork, which we haven't even begun with Hamad. I'm guessing if this job does work out, it could be another 6 months until we actually fly over there...

-Matt

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I just got an email from them Thursday morning, stating many openings. Most are management though. I haven't heard anything on the Paramedic vacancies though personally.

Like ExpatMedic warned, he was set to fly out and they cancelled on him. I's were dotted and T's were crossed.... And out of no where he got a big F U.

Soooo. I would not put all of your eggs in this basket. Also, the job to take in contracting is the first one that puts you on the plane... Having worked in Iraq you understand that.

Last edited by a moderator:

dutemplar

Forum Captain
On faebook they were advertising more vacancies. Happy to upgrade from medic to supervisor but hey...

Yes, low and slow seems to be their process. UAE's National Ambulance is closed for expressions of interest. Passport in hand, cards all current, AMR just reaaaaaally pissed me off with anther schedule change... I'll go anywhere with 2 weeks notice for family and packing purposes. Any leads?

I just got an email from them Thursday morning, stating many openings. Most are management though. I haven't heard anything on the Paramedic vacancies though personally.

Like ExpatMedic warned, he was set to fly out and they cancelled on him. I's were dotted and T's were crossed.... And out of no where he got a big F U.

Soooo. I would not put all of your eggs in this basket. Also, the job to take in contracting is the first one that puts you on the plane... Having worked in Iraq you understand that.

m4ttjabz

Forum Probie
totally

yeah, i get all that... i was just curious what others' experience were... and yeah, i'm not holding my breath based on expat's experience... i have a great job and i'd be extremely stupid to do anything to jeopardize that... the qatar role sounds really intriguing, hence my interest... i don't really want to pass up such a cool opportunity but i also don't like being strung along for something that will never come to fruition, if you know what i mean...

with any luck, we'll all hear something soon... even if it happens after the hottest part of the year, that's totally cool with me.

-matt

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
They burned me pretty hard, that being said, if it does work out for anyone else, feel free to post here. I would be interested to hear if anyone else's experience goes better than mine. I know a few people working there now I have done other contracts with, it was mentioned that what happened to me has been discussed and this thread on EMTLIFE viewed by them. So just a word of advise, only go by your online screen name here if you have anything to say, haha. As far as I am concerned, I am still disappointed with my experience with Hamad, and I hope word gets around so they can improve there recruitment and administrative system and this stops happening to people. I am more than happy with my job in UAE at the moment, although the pay is slightly less, my accommodation and location make up for it in my opinion. The western company and people I work for now are good people and the company is 1000 times more organized than Hamad in terms of my experience with recruitment and administrative processes.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Starting the verification process to last 2-3 weeks followed up the visa process which should take 2-4 months. They're on target for a November deployment.

For me, the sooner the better... I can't handle AMR, or an utterly incompetent and fraudulent supervisor and manager. Already talking to Colorado and the Office of the Inspector General way way way too much.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
3 1/2 weeks later:

How did the "verification process" go?

Hoping its good news; being that good news for you is good for us other applicants.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Still verifying.. They have verified employers (I think. fun! AMR uses an online process exclusively.). We are verifying education and transcripts. Diploma, cert, DD214 not enough, a human at the school must verify that indeed, 20 years ago that you graduated and were issued those papers... They are guessing a November/December...

If you see anywhere looking, certs are in order passport in hand...

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Anyone have any working knowledge of Qatar? And more importantly on IHR Canada?

Saw a job Posting for a Paramedic position and was curious.

I had this question, too. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm curious if you guys know the names of the reputable overseas agencies that recruit paramedics for these overseas contracts. This just strikes me as an area that could find one truly taken advantage of and stranded in some Saudi prison waiting for decapitation.

Cheers,
M.