Working in Qatar

Reviresco

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the info!!! iSTAT's alone makes me happy!

So I'm guessing starting out there, one doesn't start as an Independent Practicing Clinician, but as a Paramedic on ambulance? Or how does that all work?

I would actually be applying from Canada so would need to review the qualifications required.

How busy is the actual ambulance service? Is the call type good quality or the same as one would expect back home with a mass influx of calls during flu season. Lol.

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
No, were hired at that level. Thats why a degree, with the experience, and Critical Care experience is so important. The call volume is quite high. People here drive like crazy. You will see high speed rollovers every shift, and get at least a few RSI's a month. Not to mention with all the construction going on here. Worker accidents are quite high. We do get our standard sick people calls. But because of the treat and release. As long as the patient is stable. We don't have to ride into the hospital with them. The ground crew will transport.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
These are the current guidelines/requirements for Canadian medics, please note that " USA NREMT" is likely a typo and it most likely means whoever your Canadian paramedic certification body is. http://www.gmrecruiting.com/jobs/view/id/464 You will see a contact box on the left with the name " Annemie de Lange" She was my recruiter and will reply to you quickly if you decide to contact her with any questions.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Working as an Independent Practicing Clinician is seriously the best job I have ever had. Think PA that comes to your house. We work in a two tier system. The Ambulance goes out first, and then if they need one of us, we respond in our Chase vehicle to assist.

We have very little to no medical over site (Independent Remember) I actually have my own medical practice here. We do carry clinical guidelines, but you don't have to follow them, as long as what your doing is Clinically Acceptable, and you have a reason for deviating from them. They are more there in case you get stuck, or don't know what to do. We carry a wide range of medications, that we would never be able to carry back home.

Is there an official written/legal scope of practice? How much treat and release are you doing? Are you giving or prescribing primary care drugs as well? Are there ever problems with law suits or other legal issues pertaining to your practice there?

I guess I'm trying to gauge the level of competency I would need before I considered applying in the future.

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
Is there an official written/legal scope of practice? How much treat and release are you doing? Are you giving or prescribing primary care drugs as well? Are there ever problems with lawsuits or other legal issues pertaining to your practice there?

I guess I'm trying to gauge the level of competency I would need before I considered applying in the future.

There are Guidelines, but there just that guidelines. I'm following ACLS here, but they use a combination of The European Heart Council and ACLS. I just follow ACLS. We treat and release a lot, if the patient is stable we release to ground crew for transport to a health center or the A&E if needed. We do not Rx Meds, other than the ones we carry. Forget the legal system like in the US. There is not malpractice suits etc. If you mess up, you will be sent home. There really are ZERO legal issues.

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
Ya, don't kill anyone. That goes double for VIP kids. Everything is a risk, but you're not going to get sued here. You'll get sent home.

kevoiddy

Forum Ride Along
Qatar Paramedic

Hi Armor 10,

Paddy here, I am currently in my final year of my Bsc(hons) Paramedic Practitioner programme in the UK. I have just fully registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) in the United Kingdom. My Dad has recently relocated to Bahrain to work as a Consultant Paediatrician and he is head of the unit there. I have been out to him 3 times now , and was lucky enough to spend a week with the Paramedics in his hospital. They offered me a job on the spot but advised me that Qatar and Abu Dhabi are more well established with a better life and pay. I saw your post and the terms of living and working are very very exciting and appealing.

The salary of a UK paramedic is about 30,000 pounds and the standard of living isn't obviously as high. Ireland are suffering heavily at the moment with debt and there is no real future for me as a paramedic in Ireland at least for thte for-seeable future.

I really enjoyed Bahrain and I am looking for that king of challenge. I was wondering if you could give me more of an insight as to where you have come from and how you ended up in Qatar? I can see that a lot of people went to Saudi first but opinions seem to be varied with some people stuck there and obviously the strong cultural beliefs no alcohol or pork. I have a colleague who worked there and he seemed to like it but he won't talk about it much?

After driving in Bahrain I am aware of their pinball driving attitude , not wearing seatbelts and if allah intended them to die then so be it. "Enshalla!!

Also you mentioned that you are a critical care paramedic? Is that the same meaning to one in the UK? Capability of RSI, high risk transfers, CPAP etc? I am only at the very bottom rung of my exciting start to the career of a paramedic but I plan on joining the HART team in the UK for 2/3 years or the Coastguard Helicopter (and I have applied for these).

Kind regards,

Paddy.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
***WARNING***
Watch out for this company. Your recruitment offer is not worth the paper its written on and Hamad Medical Corporation are liars. I applied 10 months ago for a Critical Care Paramedic position, I was hired 6 months ago and signed my recruitment offer. My offer was suddenly canceled 2 days ago. This was right before my estimated start date.

All my belongings are packed in boxes, notice has been given to my apartment, I have rejected other contracts and offers of employment, I have spent thousands of dollars, and 9 months on required preparations for this. I got dumped like a sack of door knobs right before the start date I was given. I am not the only one, I spoke to another expat colleague of mine, he had the same thing happen! They say they want Critical Care Paramedics from the USA, but they don't. I hope no one else falls victim to there lies like I did.

I have been a member of this forum for almost 9 years, and an expat medic in the middle east for 3 years, working in 3 previous middle eastern countries. I have never had an employer do this before, I have had recruitment offers canceled, but never like this. The international western expat community for Paramedics is small, so I hope word gets out. There are plenty of other opportunities for Paramedics, so don't waste your time...

kevoiddy

Forum Ride Along
King Hamad

Jesus Expat that's horrible that they can do that to you after relocating yourself, declining other contracts and spending so much money!!!

I was actually referring to King Hamad Hospital in Bahrain not Hamad Medical Corporation in Qatar. But I will certainly avoid them at all costs now.

I would really appreciate your thoughts and experiences on your other contracts in the UAE and where you would recommend.

Regards,

Paddy.

Hockey

Quackers
***WARNING***
Watch out for this company. Your recruitment offer is not worth the paper its written on and Hamad Medical Corporation are liars. I applied 10 months ago for a Critical Care Paramedic position, I was hired 6 months ago and signed my recruitment offer. My offer was suddenly canceled 2 days ago. This was right before my estimated start date.

All my belongings are packed in boxes, notice has been given to my apartment, I have rejected other contracts and offers of employment, I have spent thousands of dollars, and 9 months on required preparations for this. I got dumped like a sack of door knobs right before the start date I was given. I am not the only one, I spoke to another expat colleague of mine, he had the same thing happen! They say they want Critical Care Paramedics from the USA, but they don't. I hope no one else falls victim to there lies like I did.

I have been a member of this forum for almost 9 years, and an expat medic in the middle east for 3 years, working in 3 previous middle eastern countries. I have never had an employer do this before, I have had recruitment offers canceled, but never like this. The international western expat community for Paramedics is small, so I hope word gets out. There are plenty of other opportunities for Paramedics, so don't waste your time...

Is this kinda what we were talking about? Sorry that it happened.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Damn Expat. Sorry to hear that brother.

I guess my app isn't worth **** now. Well, come to Vegas, I've got an open room in the house.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Interesting, ExPat - that sucks.

I saw them in Vegas and they seemed shady... wasn't sure how much of it was simply them being foreign. The folks I interacted with were simply "healthcare recruiters" and could tell me nothing of system or anything else. I didn't even bother.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Freely said, I'm open to all overseas spots.. the fiancee doesn't want me downrange with an M4/HK416 anymore however. OK. Would like to be _able_ to have her at least visit (after the wedding).

Former Army, capable. Medic for many years, plus CCEMTP. Lotta fire, rescue, hazmat, and other K/S/A.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Any updates?

Hamad still a :censored::censored::censored::censored:show?

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Allegedly the interview was good and I'm getting an offer...

For what that's worth. Please make 10000 copies to forward and a use a verification agency in NY for official documents.

m4ttjabz

Forum Probie
dutemplar,

I got an offer as well.. i'm feeling a bit skeptical at the moment though, in light of expat's experience...

anyone else have any experience with HMC or the recruiting process?

-Matt

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Agreed. That has be less than heart and soul invested. I'll go for it, but I won't hold my breath or spend my last dime,...

dutemplar,

I got an offer as well.. i'm feeling a bit skeptical at the moment though, in light of expat's experience...

anyone else have any experience with HMC or the recruiting process?

-Matt

pcbguy

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
I have a friend I worked with the last couple of years in Iraq that just landed in Qatar a couple of days ago. I'll see if I can find out what company it's with and the details.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Goodluck guys, I hope your experience goes better than mine, just please have a contingency plan for yourselves up until you sign the physical contract in country. The recruitment offer and foreign service agreement I was presented was not worth the paper they where written on. I hope HMC has fixed the broken administrative process and wish you all the best of luck.