Working Christmas Day

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
y3a3ege8.jpg

We have had a couple of crews do small decorations on the ambulances.

(Is it bad that I have no idea how to post pictures from my computer? I have to use Tapatalk on my phone haha)

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
One really nice thing, our admin staff lets us split crews for big holidays like this. Even though I'm working, I was moved to a station close to home, so I can take a medic unit home, spend Christmas Eve with my wife and baby and still run calls if needed. Just one more reason I love working here.

Thats how were setup for the daytime, Our crew for christmas day one lives 3 blocks away, the other just down the street, They are to come in grab pagers and spend the day with their family.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm working night shift tonight. We've done one call so far, for the worst asthma attack I've seen in my short career. Room air sat of 66, barely moving air. CPAP and two inline nebs later she was up to 96%.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I missed about half of my family's Christmases due to work or military duty.

Work on Chistmas was time and a half; with the County if I worked a double shift on Xmas I got time and a half holiday in lieu (HIL) pay, the overtime was time and a half base pay plus 1/2 base pay HIL (double pay). So for two shifts I got the equivalent of 36 hrs pay.

THAT got axed in 2008.

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
Working tonight at 1800. First Christmas Eve and morning off in many years. Stay safe out there everyone and have a good day!!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Getting ready to head in right now.

MrJones

Iconoclast
So, the day crews worked their collective *** off yesterday, while those of us on the overnight got to sleep. Only had 1 call - a ped transfer at 6:30 this morning. Now for some Christmas festivities at home until I have to go back in tonight.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Sign of a good Christmas here so far. Everyone who wants to be is split out with their families and not a single call in the county :D

a4e5ybe2.jpg

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Had a Christmas homicide to start the shift. Apparently not everyone is so jolly. A little disturbing...

Anjel

Forum Angel
I'm an hour and a half into my Christmas shift and my partner is sleeping.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
*sigh* On call today..

I was just about to open presents with the family, my neighborhood frequent flier called in. Her BGL had dropped to 50.. I had shoved a bottle of French Vanilla coffee creamer in my pocket when I left the house, because she "hates that sugar in the tube" and it's always a fight.... Fine, I'll give you choice of drinking straight coffee creamer or oral glucose.

I got the usual spiel from her about how her food stamps were gone for the month, no money to buy groceries, no gas in the car to go to the food shelf, landlord raised their rent because they have two dogs in the house..

We go through this every month. Every month I talk to her about making food with carbs, how cheap noodles or pancake mix or potatoes are. You have to eat breakfast, make toast, blah blah blah blah...

I know I'm a sucker, I'll probably go to the church pantry tomorrow and bring her a box of food. Same thing, every month.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
For the first call of Christmas, our dispatch gave to me: a crashing P1 COPD. :)

Now we're about 10 calls in and dispatch needs to quit their :censored::censored::censored::censored: :glare:

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
e6yvevaq.jpg

This is what Christmas eve held for me.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
*sigh* On call today..

I was just about to open presents with the family, my neighborhood frequent flier called in. Her BGL had dropped to 50.. I had shoved a bottle of French Vanilla coffee creamer in my pocket when I left the house, because she "hates that sugar in the tube" and it's always a fight.... Fine, I'll give you choice of drinking straight coffee creamer or oral glucose.

I got the usual spiel from her about how her food stamps were gone for the month, no money to buy groceries, no gas in the car to go to the food shelf, landlord raised their rent because they have two dogs in the house..

We go through this every month. Every month I talk to her about making food with carbs, how cheap noodles or pancake mix or potatoes are. You have to eat breakfast, make toast, blah blah blah blah...

I know I'm a sucker, I'll probably go to the church pantry tomorrow and bring her a box of food. Same thing, every month.

But your providing her with a public service, so maybe a sucker, but your doing the right thing. and next time theres not a truck tied up if god forbid someone really needs a ambulance at that moment.

PB&J is my favorite of diabetics.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
One for me on Christmas!

Anjel

Forum Angel
One for me. However she did decided to leave a river of urine as she was transferring into the hospital bed >:-(

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
11. Dispatch heeded my empty warning and let me sleep the last 5hrs :D

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Worked Christmas every year for past three years. One of the busiest days I work every year.