Worked my first code! (clinical shift)

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
I signed up to work the 11:00pm - 7:00am shift in the ER Friday night for clinicals. I had a classmate tell me that his night shift was boring and that I shouldn't expect much, but I was signed up for it and changing shifts requires an act of Congress so I just stuck with it.

About 30 minutes into my shift, one of the nurses grabbed me and said they had a "CPR in progress" coming in and I needed to be a part of it. Another student was there on a ride along with the ambulance service and they kept him in the ER to help as well. I honestly had no idea what to expect or how I would react as this would be my first exposure to such stress.

The call was for a 27 y/o male in cardiac & resp arrest. He was found by his family and was unresponsive. ETOH and/or OD were given as possible causes. The family also mentioned he had been vomiting blood every day for several weeks.

When the ambulance pulled up, I could see one of the medics inside doing compressions. We opened the doors, got the cot out, and the other student took over compressions while I took over the BVM. Once we got to the room, we switched places. The next hour and a half consisted of us doing compressions and BVM; the ER doc delivering shocks, giving orders, and monitoring the 12-lead; and the nurses and medics doing everything from IV drugs to taking arterial blood gas levels. I even had the opportunity to start an IV line during all of this. The patient regained a pulse several times, but he would quickly decline time and again until the doctor and cardiologist called it.

Looking back on it, everything seems kind of surreal. It went by so fast, but I can see how everything took place very clearly in my mind. I thought I did well. There was no sense of panic, just a need to do my job and do it well. Afterward, the nurses said it seemed like I had done this many times before though it was the first. We stayed in the room for a while and talked with/consoled the family and then left them alone to grieve together. I hate to see someone so young (27) lost, but I was glad to be a part of a team trying to help him and I learned a lot about myself in the process.

My hat goes off to all of you who have done this many many times before and continue to do so. I look forward to joining you in EMS once I get my license in a few months.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I did over 100 hours of clinicals, 36 of which inside the local Level 1 Trauma Center, and worked another 200 hours... I have yet to get anything more then a respiratory arrest.

I know this sounds weird to civilians.. but you're lucky.

Wee-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
What an experience! I have yet to see a code….

On my clinical, the only action I saw was a guy getting his finger amputated.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Way to go Apage........In the chatroom, we have known you even before you started your EMS training...it's so good to hear how well you are doing!
I'm sure you are going to have a long and rewarding career, given your positive attitude towards people and field medicine!

Cheers Enjoynz

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Congratulations Andy, sounds like you did a pretty good job at staying calm and doing your job. You'll never forget this.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Yea definitely something you will never forget. Had my 3rd code a couple of weeks ago during a clinical. First time doing it in a hospital and it all seemed like organized chaos.

HereToLearn

Forum Crew Member
I remember my first code when I was first starting out in the field. Had one my second day! It's exciting stuff! Like everyone has said, you'll definitely remember it.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
A part of learning.........

A job well done! half the battle is to keep a cool head and be able to adapt to changing situations. Once again Andy, Good Job! :):):)