Work Experience as Intermediate Before Paramedic?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I would think that one day I'd eventually go on to the Paramedic level. Do you think that work experience as an EMT-I is an important step? Would experience as a Basic suffice?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Any experience is helpful but not necessary. One can make it fine pursuing onward towards school without experience.

Dependent upon the type of Intermediate class if there is any difference between Basic and Intermediate.

My recommendation is to pursue Paramedic as soon as possible. If one is only pursuing experience and not obtaining education as well, one is wasting their time. While others are doing both or just advancing in education one will be ahead of others in level, being employable, and pay/salary steps as well.

R/r 911

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
Any experience is helpful but not necessary. One can make it fine pursuing onward towards school without experience.

Dependent upon the type of Intermediate class if there is any difference between Basic and Intermediate.

My recommendation is to pursue Paramedic as soon as possible. If one is only pursuing experience and not obtaining education as well, one is wasting their time. While others are doing both or just advancing in education one will be ahead of others in level, being employable, and pay/salary steps as well.

R/r 911

I think if you're already a basic, you're probably better off pursuing paramedic instead of intermediate. In GA, we only have a choice of intermediate or paramedic and intermediate is almost a required step, depending on the program. I started at a tech school to get my intermediate and I'll be attending a college for paramedic. The college offers a "fast track" program where you can get the whole thing done in a year. I'm not sure that's the best idea, but apparently it's do-able. Personally, I think it's very valuable to gain experience as a basic or intermediate before being a paramedic. Once you're the medic, you're going to be paired with an EMT and you're the experienced one. You need to have the self-confidence and the knowledge to handle yourself and your skills in the field. I think the experience you can gain as an EMT will be invaluable to you as a paramedic. As ridryder said, your experience as an EMT isn't going to be worth much if you don't spend the time gaining additional knowledge. Find a good partner who is willing to teach you everything he/she knows. Be willing to try new procedures if your agency allows that. Learn everything you possibly can. Take the optional classes. Learn the drugs now instead of waiting until you're in medic school.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you. Our I class was really only 1 quarter past the B education, but it was the I-85 curriculum. If it's the I-99 curriculum, I'd highly recommend skipping it and going to paramedic school. Just my two cents.

Christina

Hastings

Noobie
I'll be honest. Most of the paramedics in my class - including myself - entered medic school having absolutely no prior experience at even the basic level outside of training clinicals and ride-alongs. It's always been a worry of mine.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus

clip
My recommendation is to pursue Paramedic as soon as possible.

R/r 911

I respectfully and heartily disagree. Education does nothing to clue a person in to if this is what they should be doing. I do not beleive that anybody can do this work. In fact, I suspect that there's a relatively small segment of the population that can or is willing to handle the kind of assault on a human being that this work is. It is a mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, political, and interpersonal roller-coaster.

I say don't waste your time and money pursuing Paramedic school until you've had someone die in your hands. That's extreme, of course, but even that is the tip of the iceberg.

It takes a significant amount of experience to root in the basics of life-support, management of the scene/freaks, communication with emergency related personnel, even how to drive a rig, FIND the address, and size up a scene.

When your head is focused on drip rates, contraindications, EKG interpretations -- because, after all, isn't that what it means to be a Paramedic? You save lives by technical proficiency! -- your energy and focus is "There" rather than "here".

In a nutshell, to get experience as a basic means that your only job is to get grounded in handling the bottom-line of emergency work IN THE HERE AND NOW. Find me a class, instructor or protocol that teaches you how to do that!

Experience allows you to, as I call it "work off your spine" automatically so that when it does come time to begin ALS, these procedures are interwoven into a fabric that is already strong enough to sustain the assault.

I can't describe the horrorshows I've gone through with rookie paramedics, straight out of fast-track schools. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, especially patients!

Here, in Hawaii, we say "Ha'oule Makahiki Ho" that's HAPPY NEW YEAR and many Mahalos (Thank You's) for the heart and attention you give to each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

chocchipsmom

Forum Probie
There is a saying that goes "Paramedics save lives, EMTs save Paramedics, and Instructors will take all the credit".

Remember, none of the ALS skills will work if you don't remember the basics first and foremost! Without the field experience to hone your basic skills, and your confidence level, you may not realize this.

Yes, going straight for Paramedic will mean more money, but you need to be comfortable with your ability. I woud rather work with an experienced Basic partner, than a green "Paragod".

Good Luck to you!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Remember, only in EMS we have to differentiate basic versus ALS, etc.. In medicine there really is NO basic or advanced, rather just medical care.

Shame EMS has to have such simple descriptions because we choose to have so many levels instead requiring education (one level).

The old adage ..... "Paramedic save lives, EMT save Paramedics"..... is a saying to sell T-shirts, belt buckles for whackers..

R/r 911

bonedog

Forum Lieutenant
I whole heartedly agree with firetender on this.

A good basic who has had high volume already knows sick, patient movement and the basics.

As a government service here we used to have the stipulation of 5 years high volume prior to applying for ALS.

This was followed by an entrance exam, those that made the grade where then given a verbal, psych profile, day at the OSCE's and panel interview with supers, hr and doc.

Unfortunately this system didn't allow people to advance if they had the money to get trained, also it had a very high wash out rate.

FT is bang on the money about the psych profile, there are many who cannot do this type of work, even with advent of CIS strategies. That plus one must have a vigourous physical training regiment if you plan to ride it out to retirement.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Remember, only in EMS we have to differentiate basic versus ALS, etc.. In medicine there really is NO basic or advanced, rather just medical care.

R/r 911

And here, Rid's observation is completely accurate, but does that serve?

Here's an extension of that observation:

Like medicine as a whole, EMS is an industry whose job is to pump out personnel to do the work regardless of their ability to handle that kind of work. Sure, lots of incompetencies get filtered out, but nobody knows how they're gonna be in the field until they're IN the field. So many people, by the time they get out of the books and into the ambulance, operating room, nursing home, clinic, you fill in the blank, discover that they should have sought a career in the Post Office.

The "Warm Body Syndrome" doesn't stop at EMS. Look at a lot of our doctors, who muddle through, just like human beings do everywhere, because they have so much invested in their "idea" of who they'd be as Docs, they couldn't leave if they wanted to.

So my call is Hurrah! for systems and services that maintain a tier system in EMS. Look back on the last couple years of your experience and tell me if you've noticed Basics bailing when they get into the field. Glad they're gone?

Maybe my point boils down to one word "disposition". Of course this is a Disneyland thought, but in EMS (include cops and fire, etc. in there) I want to be surrounded by people who are there because they fit, not because they were packaged.

AND if EMS is to catch up with our other medical professions, Rid is absolutely correct: that is the way it will be done.

There is nothing but paradox.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
Build a very strong BLS foundation, Paramedic will be that much easier. EMT-B leaves out much of the beloved EMT-A material which will prime you better for the ALS level.

byun01

Forum Probie
Depends on you

I was an EMT-B in high school, became a paramedic in college, and now I am in medical school. When you should go from one step to the next really depends on you. That being said, you should make a fair assessment of yourself, by first working as an EMT-B before making the necessary move to a higher education. Remember, most medical students have very little or no clinical experience. Still, many with little INITIAL clinical experience will be great doctors in the future. If you work/volunteer in a busy setting as an EMT-B it can help you decide what you want. If you have no prior experience and you decide to work as an EMT-B while in medic school, this can be both beneficial and dangerous. While you are gaining experience, you end up deciding you do not want to be a paramedic.

mikie

Forum Lurker
for me...I'm currently an EMT-B (in Illinois), the service I volunteer for is an Intermediate service. One day, I do plan on becoming a paramedic, however I am in school for a 4 year degree. Would stepping up to Intermediate (especially having the dept. for experience) be wise before going on to paramedic possibly in a few years? (aslo, being a full time student is pretty demanding and perhaps paramedic would be too much of a commitment over an intermediate)

thanks!

byun01

Forum Probie
Ask yourself what you want...

The way I did it was I took a year off in between my sophomore and Junior year of college and attended a medic program, so that I would have two additional years to practice. However, I knew I wanted to ultimately become a doctor.

Most importantly, you should ask yourself what you want to do later in life. If you are not willing to take a year off, it may be better to become an Intermediate. If you ultimately want to work as a paramedic then I would not necessarily spend the time to become a intermediate. This is especially true if you plan to be an intermediate for only 1-2 years and then head to paramedic school. You could spend the time you would have spent in intermediate school on gaining experience (volunteer more hours or gain hospital experience).

"To each his own"
Brian

CAMedicJohn

Forum Probie
FT is dead on... I have been though SEVERAL partners over the years who just couldn't deal with the stresses of the field. One didn't even finish the first shift.

My EMT-B partners (2) are both really well adjusted to the EMS/911 response life. Both have been with me for over a year now. They are both looking at continuing on to the paramedic level and beyond with the knowledge of actual field experience. I would be comfortable with either of them caring for any member of my family or myself. That confidence and competency only comes from experience.

My only regret is that I will have to find another partner to take their place. and that has proven to be hard.

The good ones stay and advance in the medical field. The bad ones leave the system without losing much investment of time/money.

I can't visualize a better system, given the nature of the job and the dedication, knowledge, commitment, and sacrifice required.

Just my thoughts thou....
:wacko::wacko::wacko: