Winter is upon us...

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Since there are members of this forum from all across the globe, i assume that we have some folks who like to participate in winter sports (i also saw the thread about working ski patrol).

So...what are you guys and gals into for outdoor activities during the winter?

Maybe we could use this thread to post pictures from our trips to the mountains, pictures of new gear, discuss new gear and technology, etc.

I'll start. Im a snowboarder who lives on the east coast. My goal is to get 30 days on the mountains this winter.

Here is what i will be riding:

IMAG0334.jpg

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Eh, I've never really had much time for winter sports. However, I think I would like to pick up skiing this year, we'll see if I actually get around to it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

Trying to talk Florida Institute of Technology into a scholarship in exchange for my research. LOL

OP
OP
C

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Eh, I've never really had much time for winter sports. However, I think I would like to pick up skiing this year, we'll see if I actually get around to it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skiing is fun too, and its pretty easy to learn if you've got an athletic bone in your body. I say go for it if you can find the time.

Trying to talk Florida Institute of Technology into a scholarship in exchange for my research. LOL

LOL. I see what you did there.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Well winter for where I am means temps of 50 degrees and maybe 1 or 2 days of snow.... If that.

So for me it's all about dirt bike riding.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
Well winter for where I am means temps of 50 degrees and maybe 1 or 2 days of snow.... If that.

I'll second that. I only get up to the mtns about 3-4 day trips. I can easily be found at superstition mountain much more often on my bike.

6416943993_63944009d5.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0253 by imacho2, on Flickr[/IMG]

YZ250F

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
LOL. I see what you did there.

Yeah, winter can bite my pasty white Germanic butt.

OP
OP
C

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain

I'll second that. I only get up to the mtns about 3-4 day trips. I can easily be found at superstition mountain much more often on my bike.

6416943993_63944009d5.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0253 by imacho2, on Flickr[/IMG]

YZ250F

I'll count it!

Dirt biking looks fun as hell. I used to ride my BMX a ton as a teen, but i know thats not even close.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I learned how to ride motorcycles before I learned how to ride a bicycle. The only problem now is that my bike weighs 50+ more pounds then I do haha

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322463635.023281.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322463635.023281.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 195

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Since there are members of this forum from all across the globe, i assume that we have some folks who like to participate in winter sports (i also saw the thread about working ski patrol).

Maybe we could use this thread to post pictures from our trips to the mountains, pictures of new gear, discuss new gear and technology, etc.

I'll start. Im a snowboarder who lives on the east coast. My goal is to get 30 days on the mountains this winter.

Your gonna hate me but I clocked 132 days of skiing last year :) Many of which were work days though.

Personally I think snowboarding is easier to learn than skiing but it depends on the person.

No pics but I'll try to get some although my skis are beaten, battered and bruised.

I ride centermounted 181cm Line Sir Francis Bacons. Big ski but they kill it everywhere. I don't care what any review says I can make theses bad boys turn.

Park skis are centermounted 07 Rossignol Scratch 168s. A bit small but they are a lot of fun.

I had this awesome plan for a ski trip over christmas break but work and life got in the way :(

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
Ahh Alberta... She may be full of Rednecks, but she has the Rockies!

Having previously worked for M.E.C. (Canadian version of R.E.I. for the Yanks), my basement looks like a mini outdoor store.

Aside from Skiing and Ice Climbing, I do love me some Snowshoeing with the wife and dog - very peaceful and pretty.

I'm not totally sold on Cross Country Skiing though. I have all the kit, but going uphill is sucky compared to Snowshoeing, and going downhill is pant-wettingly terrifying without metal edges.

Oh, and Telemarking is for madmen. A sport based on my most-hated exercise (lunges!)? I'd prefer a kick in the balls.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Your gonna hate me but I clocked 132 days of skiing last year :) Many of which were work days though.

Personally I think snowboarding is easier to learn than skiing but it depends on the person.

No pics but I'll try to get some although my skis are beaten, battered and bruised.

I ride centermounted 181cm Line Sir Francis Bacons. Big ski but they kill it everywhere. I don't care what any review says I can make theses bad boys turn.

Park skis are centermounted 07 Rossignol Scratch 168s. A bit small but they are a lot of fun.

I had this awesome plan for a ski trip over christmas break but work and life got in the way :(

Wow, thats incredible. I live about an hour and a half from 3 small mountains, and a little over 3 hours from anything decent. Last year i only got 15 days, most of which was spent on man made snow. Bummer.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

Yeah, it never really gets super cold over on the coast where I'm at, maybe down into the upper 30's, and we very rarely get snow, so I'll be trying to squeeze some riding in as well.

This is an older pic of my bike, but good enough:

006-1.jpg

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What type of riding do you do?

At least for me all i do is trail riding. I've tried racing and its not for me lol. Trail riding and hill climbing are my passion haha

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
At least for me all i do is trail riding. I've tried racing and its not for me lol. Trail riding and hill climbing are my passion haha

Same here, just trail riding and hill climbs.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm into raking leaves and taking my pulse.

barney-miller-abe-vigoda-0.jpg

We had a guy who was a snow park safety officer and SAR from the Sierras before, mountaintrescue or some such. Miss his take on that stuff.