why is it so difficult finding a job? NYC

dwonkaniel

Forum Ride Along
Hello,
I've been a certified Emt-B since 2010 with two years volley experience and 4 months of BLS transport experience

I've been searching for a job in the NYC area but so far I've been rejected from 2 other transport jobs. What do I need to do for my application/resume to be more competitive?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
It should not be that hard... There is plenty of jobs in NYC last I checked.

You should be applying for FDNY regardless.

OP
OP
D

dwonkaniel

Forum Ride Along
It should not be that hard... There is plenty of jobs in NYC last I checked.

You should be applying for FDNY regardless.

I plan on applying for fdny when the next test comes around would you happen to know any specific companies that are hiring?

JPat86

Forum Lieutenant
I plan on applying for fdny when the next test comes around would you happen to know any specific companies that are hiring?

What borough are you in? My company is always hiring.... in staten island there are 3 transport companies that are always looking for people.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
What borough are you in? My company is always hiring.... in staten island there are 3 transport companies that are always looking for people.

That's because no one wants to commute to SI lol.

Strong Island is the place to be.

Not sure. Been out of the game a little while.

911 companies are harder to get jobs with especially with no experience.

Transcare is the parent to many hospital based units.

St. Luke's Roosevelt
Bronx-Lebanon
Mt. Sinai
Northshore LIJ
Jamaica Hospital
New York Presbyterian

LIJ/Presbyterian would be the optimal two companies to get on with outside FDNY but you usually need to know someone.

If you are a young guy/girl FDNY would be the best thing in the world for you. They pay less, but not everything about your job can be measured by your paycheck.

Ecgg

Forum Lieutenant
You probably get into FDNY position before even getting an interview in the aforementioned hospitals. Look for IFT companies that would be your best bet.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
It will be when the new protocols roll out.

They are basically the same as NYC with a couple additions.

Nothing groundbreaking or comparable to more progressive regions of the country.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
I dunno. A cc is going to be, more or less, where a medic was a few years ago.

Then there is the RSI...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
who uses a CC in the city? Nassau County maybe but not the 5 boroughs

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
My comment was about Long Island. NYC don't use CCs although there are plenty of them around.

Most ALS providers in Nassau and Suffolk are CCs.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Not particularly fond of the CC program... Its an easy loop-hole to allowing volunteer services to acquire ALS providers with minimal training.

If paramedic isn't enough, CC sure as hell isn't...

But anyway, OP monitor this site for FDNY listings.

www.nyc.gov/dcas

ksquire222

Forum Crew Member
I would definitely look in to TransCare. They are always hiring. As NYCMedic828 stated, you can promote in to the 911 system through them.

J B

Forum Lieutenant
why is it so difficult finding a job? NYC

I've been searching for a job in the NYC area but so far I've been rejected from 2 other transport jobs.

You have little experience, applied to 2 places and weren't hired, and it's "so difficult" to find a job... Try working in literally any other field aside from maybe garbage collecting :wacko:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
You have little experience, applied to 2 places and weren't hired, and it's "so difficult" to find a job... Try working in literally any other field aside from maybe garbage collecting :wacko:

Its actually next to impossible to get on sanitation in NYC... good gig.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
Most urban municipal sanitation gigs are very hard to get.
People make fun of being a trashman(woman, to be PC), but who's really laughing when they see the pay/benefits?

Last edited by a moderator: