Why EMS?

pvac

Forum Probie
Lately, I have been experiencing a bit of nervousness on calls. I am not sure if it's because I am closer to finishing up my EMT class, or maybe it's because I have seen quite a bit, and have heard all the stories of what transpires on certain calls... Assaults, hit and runs, nasty MVA's. Usually, those calls go so fast, you have no time to think about what is happening. You just do it.

It's the medical calls that make my throat dry, and my heart pound. Why? Maybe more person to patient contact is the reason. I don't know. At times, I wonder if I am cut out for this, even as a volunteer. It helps to hear others on this board share their stories. It also gives me great benefit to know that the person I am treating is relying on me to help them, and in a sense... for me, it makes the situation greater than any doubt/hesitation I may be feeling.

I trust my training and realize that certain things may be out of my control.

I am extremely new to EMS, about a year in at an all volunteer organization.
I like it, and it has enabled me to control my emotions and get things done.

You really don't know what your capable of until you push yourself and not give up.

That's my daily observations...

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
I am in the same boat, and I think it is because we are so inexperienced, especially with things we can't directly see or understand immediately i.e., medical problems. I think that time will make us more confident, but there will always be stuff that we have no or barely any idea on.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
Dont feel bad,I felt the same way when I first got involved in EMS work,its not unusual to get that feeling.

Last edited by a moderator:

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
Dont feel bad,I felt the same way when I first got involved in EMS work,its not unusual to get that feeling. As a matter of fact,you get the occasional adrenaline rush the first time you hear a call for the department you are on,it can be a good thing sometimes.

OP
OP
P

pvac

Forum Probie
Dont feel bad,I felt the same way when I first got involved in EMS work,its not unusual to get that feeling. As a matter of fact,you get the occasional adrenaline rush the first time you hear a call for the department you are on,it can be a good thing sometimes.

Hey,

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's not unusual to feel that way. If anything, the fact that I am a little nervous on calls will probably keep me grounded. I think it also reminds me how important it is to keep up on my education and skills.

Patients depend on it.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
Ive always been told to learn how to control your emotions,especially when you get "the rush" cuz if you dont it is possible to mess up.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations

I would submit that your anxiety will diminish as you gain experience and confidence. We're all new to this at one point and it's not unusual to question your actions after some calls. A very wise mentor once told me that "the first pulse you take at a cardiac arrest is your own" and that advice has served me well over the years. If it helps, critique your calls with your partner after everything has calmed down and analyze areas of strength and weakness. I'm not suggesting microscopic detail, just the high points and areas to work on. Good luck!!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
If the anxiety is not preventing you from doing your job, then it's just a sign that you are taking your responsibility seriously. This is not a bad thing. Anytime we learn a new skill there's going to be some discomfort until it becomes more routine. Luckily, in EMS, as soon as a skill becomes routine you will get a patient who will need it all to be done slightly differently!

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
the anxiety goes away. over time you just see it so much and have gained so much information about things you just do it.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Keep getting education and experience and you'll get better.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Lately, I have been experiencing a bit of nervousness on calls. I am not sure if it's because I am closer to finishing up my EMT class, or maybe it's because I have seen quite a bit, and have heard all the stories of what transpires on certain calls... Assaults, hit and runs, nasty MVA's. Usually, those calls go so fast, you have no time to think about what is happening. You just do it.

It's the medical calls that make my throat dry, and my heart pound. Why? Maybe more person to patient contact is the reason. I don't know. At times, I wonder if I am cut out for this, even as a volunteer. It helps to hear others on this board share their stories. It also gives me great benefit to know that the person I am treating is relying on me to help them, and in a sense... for me, it makes the situation greater than any doubt/hesitation I may be feeling.

I like it, and it has enabled me to control my emotions and get things done.

You really don't know what your capable of until you push yourself and not give up.

That's my daily observations...

You will be fine, I promise. I was working with a newbie a while back and got her some gum to chew to prevent dry mouth secondary to nervousness. She looked a little unprofessional chewing that gum for a while but I didn't really care. I knew she just needed a little help getting over the hump. The important thing is that you remember how you feel now so you can properly sympathize and help newcomers in the future.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
and got her some gum to chew

Shoot, I would be lost without my Eclipse mint gum. I usually get rid of it (or try to) before making patient/family contact, but it's just the thing after you've just had lunch on the run and don't want your patient to have to know you had yellow hot peppers on your sub. I tried the breath mint route, but I got tired of rattling while walking down the halls...lol

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
Shoot, I would be lost without my Eclipse mint gum. I usually get rid of it (or try to) before making patient/family contact, but it's just the thing after you've just had lunch on the run and don't want your patient to have to know you had yellow hot peppers on your sub. I tried the breath mint route, but I got tired of rattling while walking down the halls...lol

Minty-fresh gum is my hero when responding to middle-of-the-night calls...I also toss it before making contact with the patient...

Jay114

Forum Crew Member
I'm glad to see this thread. I am still in basic school, and am excited about doing this job one day, but I do worry, esp. when trying to fall asleep, not only about not doing a good job when someone's life is on the line, but also looking like fool in front of co-workers (hey, didn't that newbie learn how to do vitals??) Rationally I know that I will have learned as much as I can in school, and that there is a natural learning curve in the field and all that, but at midnight, rational thought sometimes takes a back seat.

Canoeman

Forum Crew Member
pvac,

It is good to see you discussing issues instead of hiding them. From what I am reading you're are doing the right things to gain experience and voluteering to help your service and your community. For this reason alone I salute you and I am proud of you.
Keep in the saddle and after awhile the soreness will come to pass. Even the medical calls will get easier. The next thing ya know you will want to be a Paramedic or as I call it --- "Changing to a new saddle". Press on.

Canoeman

OP
OP
P

pvac

Forum Probie
pvac,

It is good to see you discussing issues instead of hiding them. From what I am reading you're are doing the right things to gain experience and voluteering to help your service and your community. For this reason alone I salute you and I am proud of you.
Keep in the saddle and after awhile the soreness will come to pass. Even the medical calls will get easier. The next thing ya know you will want to be a Paramedic or as I call it --- "Changing to a new saddle". Press on.

Canoeman

Thank you very much for all your advice. I actually spent some extra hours this weekend riding along with different crews. I felt much more confident, and helped out a few of the newer members locate equipment on the rig, take BP's, etc.

I actually enjoy the teaching aspect of EMS. Hmmm, maybe this will also be an opportunity to become an instructor in the future.

Thanks again for the encouragement, it means a lot.

OP
OP
P

pvac

Forum Probie
I'm glad to see this thread. I am still in basic school, and am excited about doing this job one day, but I do worry, esp. when trying to fall asleep, not only about not doing a good job when someone's life is on the line, but also looking like fool in front of co-workers (hey, didn't that newbie learn how to do vitals??) Rationally I know that I will have learned as much as I can in school, and that there is a natural learning curve in the field and all that, but at midnight, rational thought sometimes takes a back seat.

This is exactly how I have been feeling. I find comfort in the fact that everyone I ride with wants me to succeed. I also try to remain open with regards to another member's advice (co-worker). Many personalities are trying to accomplish the same thing, saving a life. Although there intentions are the same, they may have a different way of getting there. I try to absorb a little from each person I ride with, and ask them for critique/advice after the call.

Good luck in class, I am sure you'll do well!